Fiio E18
Jul 7, 2016 at 8:05 PM Post #2,071 of 2,308
I am planning on purchasing the E18 but i have a few questions someone can hopefully answer first. Does anyone know if the E18 works with the Nexus 7 (2013), galaxy S4, or galaxy S7? I want to use it do bypass the android device's dac and amp. Also, this will be my first dac/amp and im wondering how much improvement it will have over using the headphone jack of the android device. I will be using the FLC  8 IEM. Thanks

Jul 8, 2016 at 2:29 AM Post #2,072 of 2,308
I am planning on purchasing the E18 but i have a few questions someone can hopefully answer first. Does anyone know if the E18 works with the Nexus 7 (2013), galaxy S4, or galaxy S7? I want to use it do bypass the android device's dac and amp. Also, this will be my first dac/amp and im wondering how much improvement it will have over using the headphone jack of the android device. I will be using the FLC  8 IEM. Thanks

Works using usb audio player pro.

Jul 9, 2016 at 2:49 AM Post #2,075 of 2,308
Your source would be streaming and sending the signal to the E18, so yes.

Only if the device has builtin usb audio support. Uapp uses its own driver so it always works but systemwide it varies from device to device. Uapp has tidal support built in so you can use that.

Jul 12, 2016 at 9:42 PM Post #2,077 of 2,308
I am planning on getting the E18 for my laptop and phone. I also have a Swans M10 powered speaker unit.. Can I connect it's input to the E18 headphone out?

since the M10 is a powered unit, you can just connect it to the E18's lineout instead of the headphone out jack

Jul 13, 2016 at 6:28 PM Post #2,078 of 2,308
Thx Theo...wasn't aware that it had a line out.....Still it would be great if I could adjust the volume using the knob on the E18 when connected to the Swans when sitting on my desk. If the Swans is connected to the headphone out of the E18 would it cause damage to either device? Or maybe produce inefficient results?

Jul 14, 2016 at 2:47 AM Post #2,079 of 2,308
  Thx Theo...wasn't aware that it had a line out.....Still it would be great if I could adjust the volume using the knob on the E18 when connected to the Swans when sitting on my desk. If the Swans is connected to the headphone out of the E18 would it cause damage to either device? Or maybe produce inefficient results?

yup, the E18 has a line in/out combo jack.

I don't think it would cause damage to either device, but double amping isn't normally recommended 

Jul 14, 2016 at 1:28 PM Post #2,080 of 2,308

Depending on gain and the setting of both volume controls you might get additional noise or experience clipping at the powered speaker. That's why we use line outputs as that is what they are intended for. It's unlikely that you will cause damage to the devices, however, be careful of blasting your ears by mistake.

Jul 25, 2016 at 10:22 AM Post #2,081 of 2,308
can i ask how does the fiio e18 differ than fiio e12 when fiio e18 is used only as an amp not as a dac/amp

1- which is more powerful
2- is the bass boost the same on both

or any other differences

Jul 25, 2016 at 10:51 AM Post #2,082 of 2,308
  can i ask how does the fiio e18 differ than fiio e12 when fiio e18 is used only as an amp not as a dac/amp

1- which is more powerful
2- is the bass boost the same on both

or any other differences

The E12 has more output power.
The bass boost is similar if not the same, however, I believe there was some difference in the original version of the E12. You can look at the curves on their website.

Jul 25, 2016 at 2:07 PM Post #2,084 of 2,308
  e18 has much bigger battery, but also suffers horribly from radio interference. H Gain on e12 is much higher. E18 has flatter frequency response 

i can attest to that. Offline listening via phone is okay but as soon as I turn on mobile data there is clearly an audible electrical noise.

Jul 25, 2016 at 2:09 PM Post #2,085 of 2,308
  i can attest to that. Offline listening via phone is okay but as soon as I turn on mobile data there is clearly an audible electrical noise.

it's precisely for that reason (along with better SQ and battery life) that I stack the E12A with the E18

Users who are viewing this thread

Back