Fiio E18
Mar 23, 2016 at 12:03 AM Post #2,041 of 2,308

The e12 is a powerful amp with a compact stage. The e18 is a less powerful amp with a dac that goes up to 24/96 and it sounds really good.

They are very different. I never use my e12 but i often use my e18

I thought you used the E12 for all those videos in the extreme basshead club, no?  Or did I get that wrong?

Can the E18 do what the E12 does in those videos?  Can they drive the SZ2000?

Mar 23, 2016 at 12:18 AM Post #2,042 of 2,308
  I thought you used the E12 for all those videos in the extreme basshead club, no?  Or did I get that wrong?

Can the E18 do what the E12 does in those videos?  Can they drive the SZ2000?

All the videos (unless it says another amp in title) were done with the e12. The e18 is just enough to push an SZ for a total basshead. For chronic bassheads more power is better. e12,C5,iFi Micro

Mar 23, 2016 at 6:10 AM Post #2,043 of 2,308

All the videos (unless it says another amp in title) were done with the e12. The e18 is just enough to push an SZ for a total basshead. For chronic bassheads more power is better. e12,C5,iFi Micro

Thanks! :)

I don't have the SZ2000... yet... but it's lurking in the corners of my mind (or maybe the SZ1000).  Ordered the E18 and I think the iFi Micro will also come later.

Mar 24, 2016 at 8:27 PM Post #2,044 of 2,308
Pleasantly surprised to find that the E18 works immediately, plug and play, no settings fiddling or anything, with USB OTG cable from my super cheap $50 Amazon Fire tablet running Fire OS 5.1.2!

(And the built-in tablet amp doesn't drive my Fostex T50RP mk3 so I really do need the E18 with this.)

Mar 26, 2016 at 2:39 AM Post #2,045 of 2,308
Pleasantly surprised to find that the E18 works immediately, plug and play, no settings fiddling or anything, with USB OTG cable from my super cheap $50 Amazon Fire tablet running Fire OS 5.1.2!

(And the built-in tablet amp doesn't drive my Fostex T50RP mk3 so I really do need the E18 with this.)

Can the e18 drive the t50rp mk3 to loud levels without distortion or clipping?

I have the same headphones but from what i read in portable amps , only the e12 , c5 , d14 and similar can power them enough.

Mar 26, 2016 at 3:01 AM Post #2,046 of 2,308
Can the e18 drive the t50rp mk3 to loud levels without distortion or clipping?

I have the same headphones but from what i read in portable amps , only the e12 , c5 , d14 and similar can power them enough.

I have heard no distortion, though the highest I've had the volume at is 8 on low gain, and that's usually very temporary as it becomes too loud; usually 6 is plenty loud. Definitely haven't needed high gain setting.

Mar 29, 2016 at 9:20 AM Post #2,047 of 2,308
Hallo all

Just a quick question (again) about the E18's compatibility; has anyone managed to get it to work with a Galaxy S7 Edge yet? I know that FiiO are a little cagey about flat out confirming which models can but surely it's just a case of OTG implementation. Isn't it? I've seen that the S7 works with other DACs out of OTG but just want to double check before I pull the trigger. If so then do I need to download a specific program to listen through it?

Cheers in advance!

Mar 29, 2016 at 2:25 PM Post #2,048 of 2,308
Hallo all

Just a quick question (again) about the E18's compatibility; has anyone managed to get it to work with a Galaxy S7 Edge yet? I know that FiiO are a little cagey about flat out confirming which models can but surely it's just a case of OTG implementation. Isn't it? I've seen that the S7 works with other DACs out of OTG but just want to double check before I pull the trigger. If so then do I need to download a specific program to listen through it?

Cheers in advance!

Will work with uapp

Mar 30, 2016 at 9:52 AM Post #2,050 of 2,308
Cheers Yethal!

A further question, do you know if Spotify works through UApp? I see that Tidal does but I'm still not enamoured with their library so haven't gone for it yet.

Nope unless spotify can act as a dlna server for uapp

Apr 3, 2016 at 4:30 AM Post #2,051 of 2,308
I recently bought this device, using it as desktop amp since I had horrible sound using audio out on desktop I inherited at work. I was looking at some other options but they were all too expensive for me - I'm not an audiofile, just wanted clear sound on my new Bose QC25, not static and hiss I was getting. On Windows 10, it works pretty good, except with Groove (inbuilt music player). With it, it does work, but it stops if you press "minimuze". If you just click on another screen thus minimizing Groove - it works fine. No idea how to solve this except using different player, so I ended up using my Chrome with Google Play Music, and it's a joy. Having real knob instead of digital slider or buttons is very pleasant.
I've tried E18 in my car with Nexus 6 (improves the sound), and with intended N6, E18, QC25 combo - and that's the only scenario I don't find E18 necessary. Modern flagship with decent headphones give everything I need from them, yes It's louder with portable amp, but being not loud enough is rarely issue with active noise cancelation headphones used with phone. Ok, there are headphones that can't be driven by phone only, but QC25 are not one of those.
In short, I'm quite satisfied with my purchase. I'll be looking for some better desktop speakers now, one I use now are cheap POS,so it's quite a downgrade once I get my headphones off (I split "out" of E18 between HP and speakers, no apparent loss even with cheap splitter) and hear the same song continue on speakers.
Fiio did a great job here, creating useful, multipractical device that sound good, looks and feels awesome and has multiple use scenarios and load of manual controls, compared to products in same price class. I'd highly recommend Kundun.

Apr 17, 2016 at 10:03 PM Post #2,054 of 2,308
I swear, people claiming that headphones need $200 cables are why audiophiles are looked down upon.

"I need to put my daughter through college. Time to sell some cables."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back