Fiio E18
Aug 24, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #167 of 2,308
I don't understand it you people say they won't be able to drive the HD700 well but the leckertone's can. They are using the same DAC supposedly, but different amp, though they say it's fine for up to 300ohm, and the HD700 is only 150ohm. I understand that the HD700 does have sparkly highs and all and solid state amps are not always the best for them but my xonar essence stx drives them fine, of course with that same problem...

Ham and cheese...

Aug 24, 2013 at 5:39 PM Post #168 of 2,308
I don't understand it you people say they won't be able to drive the HD700 well but the leckertone's can. They are using the same DAC supposedly, but different amp, though they say it's fine for up to 300ohm, and the HD700 is only 150ohm. I understand that the HD700 does have sparkly highs and all and solid state amps are not always the best for them but my xonar essence stx drives them fine, of course with that same problem...

Ham and cheese...

It's just more complicated than that...

There are difficult to drive phones and easy to drive phones. The AKG Q701 is only 62ohms but that doesn't mean every amp can drive them. I use E07K with them and I get pretty high volumes, but not every frequency is well driven with it.

Aug 24, 2013 at 6:04 PM Post #169 of 2,308
I understand that this has something to do with SPL also, of course. I know that amp doesn't do just volume but also gives definition to the sound itself.

But then again I'm not looking for the best sound out of my HD700, I'll try to get it later on with some tube amp at home, I'm not expecting them to be portable, anyhow. ATM they are driven by the Asus Xonar Essence STX and it works pretty good (With sometimes a feeling in some music that the bass is somewhat lacking and in others that it's pretty good there, like what I'm listening to right now "The Great Deception" by "Seconds before Landing")

I've noticed that the CS4398 DAC is everywhere in high-end hardware like PMPs and other portable DACs,,,

Is there some info on the sound signature of that DAC? before I am fully determined to get it, don't think I'll be getting the other one suggested being fully Android supported sounds like a good deal to me, what does matter is the sound.

Thanks people for all the help :)

Aug 24, 2013 at 6:37 PM Post #170 of 2,308
Sounds good. I think they can drive them at least to the point you are searching for. DAC wise, the sound signature is not only going to depend on the chip but in the implementation as well. You'll probably have to wait for the first reviews. You might want to check as well the O2+ODAC option. I'm currently building one now and you can get a portable solution for around 200$.

Aug 25, 2013 at 2:35 AM Post #171 of 2,308

Ham and cheese...
There is a clear difference is being able to drive and being able to drive well. Technically, you can drive a HD700 to loud volumes with a laptops hp out. But an amp just does it better. I can almost be sure that amp of leckertons are better than e18. Also, having the same dac doesn't mean it's the same. E17 has a same dac as AK100, but it doesn't sound as good.

Aug 25, 2013 at 8:47 AM Post #172 of 2,308
Well so far I've heard only good things about FiiO with a bit where critics who just HAVE to put down something give it thumbs down for some unknown reasons "I don't like it cause it's different" kind of things.

I'm betting on this E18 to be a good product and it seems like samsung have let me down twice in the sound department so far, Galaxy S2 and Galaxy Tab 3, the tab 3 doesn't seem to have a Wolfson DAC cause it distorts and basically no bass. Oh well, buying good headphones means to get the best out of them you need proper amp and dac, anyhow.

Aug 25, 2013 at 9:02 AM Post #173 of 2,308
Quote:
Well so far I've heard only good things about FiiO with a bit where critics who just HAVE to put down something give it thumbs down for some unknown reasons "I don't like it cause it's different" kind of things.

I'm betting on this E18 to be a good product and it seems like samsung have let me down twice in the sound department so far, Galaxy S2 and Galaxy Tab 3, the tab 3 doesn't seem to have a Wolfson DAC cause it distorts and basically no bass. Oh well, buying good headphones means to get the best out of them you need proper amp and dac, anyhow.

No, I'm not saying fiio is bad. I mean, you are comparing a $300 amp that is highly regarded with a android DAC. It makes sense that the $300 amp is better.

Sep 1, 2013 at 7:02 PM Post #174 of 2,308
So, anyone has got a release date? I think I found a distributor in Israel where I live so I'll be able to get them.

Sep 1, 2013 at 7:09 PM Post #175 of 2,308
Its not even listed on Fiio website yet so who knows. Its been a while since James last posted anything about the E18.

Sep 2, 2013 at 9:55 AM Post #177 of 2,308
Quote:

The Israeli distributor (Turtle) charges twice the price for every Fiio product. You'll be better off buying from mp4nation.

How do you figure this please tell me? for example lets take in account $200 that the X3 costs in mp4nation, then we do google for 200 USD to ILS which turns out:
723.38 Israeli New Sheqel

Then we add tax: 853.58 ILS at 18% tax

Then we add delivery which is at the least 20 USD, most often than not that's more... which is another almost 100 ILS, that doesn't turn out to be much more of a difference. Israel is used to paying these prices.

Sep 2, 2013 at 11:27 AM Post #178 of 2,308
Turtle charges for the X3 alone 1161 ILS which is 321$ (and this is the price before S&H). On mp4nation you get the X3 for 200$ including shipping and a pair of Brainwavz that retail for around 50$ as an added bonus.

And don't let anyone fool you - anything under 300$ including shipping is tax free as long as it's been ordered online and shipped via registered airmail and not express delivery such as DHL, UPS, FEDEX, etc.

Sep 2, 2013 at 11:32 AM Post #179 of 2,308
So they are shipping for free?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back