Fiio E18
Sep 10, 2013 at 6:04 PM Post #196 of 2,308
Would't you be using the e18 to bypass the DAC altogether and use the one in the fiio? I'm on sprint so my current s3 will be using the cirrus chips instead of the wolfson chip in the international. I'll safely assume the s4 and the note 3 for sprint will also be using cirrus chips too....  

Sep 10, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #197 of 2,308
Yes you would. But I said to start with.

Also - Cheaper.
Also - Better.

Sep 11, 2013 at 7:37 AM Post #198 of 2,308
  steveoidm: Get the galaxy s3 version, S4 has worse DAC to begin with and some silly stuff that doesn't matter too much unless you really need the IR stuff and the page flipping with your eyes/hands/etc... lol

but honestly there are plenty of other great android phones, samsung are not the start and end all of smartphones.

BTW, smartphones and headphones go together... We need Smart Headphones ^_^

I currently have the Note 1 and its a great phone but its a bit old now and there is no usb dac support so I would be looking at the note 3. The sony xperia z ultra looks awesome but is definitely a tablet rather than a phone, there is not chance that fits into anyone's pocket. HTC One max looks ok, although again it might just be a bit too big.

Feel free to suggest alternatives ( with usb dac support :) ), although I like the screen size of the note.

Sep 11, 2013 at 9:28 AM Post #199 of 2,308
Hey,

i'm not sure how to confirm "general" usb dac support, but i own a HTC One X International Version. Yesterday i got my USB interface (Esi UGM96) to work without problems. You use a otg adapter, plug it in, the phone powers the interface and of you go. On stock rom and works with stock player app.
Only drawback is, that you can't controll volume via phone. It's fixed at 100%. So you'll need an amp behind that to regulate volume.
But in general, the HOX does work with dac's. Which is awesome since the HOX is known for it's bad internal audio...

Rock on
Dominik

Sep 11, 2013 at 9:39 AM Post #200 of 2,308
Nahhhh, come on! Note III is the way to go. :D

Only hope the DAC is the same than in the current version. Man, that phone is gonna be sweet, the phone everybody was expecting with the s4 but with a higher screen.

Sep 11, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #201 of 2,308
Steveoidm, question, does it NEED to be a phone? Have you considered buying a DAP like the FiiO X3? It's an awesome device for music that supports 192k/24bit playback, supports several lossless formats, and would offer more clarity and less feedback than any phone could provide. The built in Wolfson WM8740 DAC is a very nice sounding chip.

Just a thought.

Sep 12, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #202 of 2,308
I have, almost went for a colorfly, but spotify is just so damn handy, especially for discovering new music and having an almost never ending library at your fingertips. The extreme (320) rips seem good enough to my ears.

So although it needs spotify,I guess it doesn't have to be a phone, I was looking at the iPod touch, but I can't see any reason to carry another device.

Sep 12, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #203 of 2,308
Hey,

i'm not sure how to confirm "general" usb dac support, but i own a HTC One X International Version. Yesterday i got my USB interface (Esi UGM96) to work without problems. You use a otg adapter, plug it in, the phone powers the interface and of you go. On stock rom and works with stock player app.
Only drawback is, that you can't controll volume via phone. It's fixed at 100%. So you'll need an amp behind that to regulate volume.
But in general, the HOX does work with dac's. Which is awesome since the HOX is known for it's bad internal audio...

Rock on
Dominik

Sounds good. Does the spotify player output over USB too?

Sep 28, 2013 at 4:08 AM Post #210 of 2,308
  Yes, the E18 will comes with HID features, so you can control the play/pause/previous/next in E18 without turn on the screen on  Android phone.

The shape already decided, we now working in find a suitable DAC chip for it because too many FiiO model has WM8740. it is still very good, but

I am wondering whether we should choose a new DAC chip.

How about AK4396 "Miracle" DAC? I own Audioengine D1 and I love the sound I get from this DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back