Fiio E18
Aug 3, 2013 at 9:51 AM Post #136 of 2,308
Subscribed... may well be interested in this! Specially if the all OTG - DAC - Android version, etc mess is solved by this device! Maybe, as others users already suggested, with the installation of an app that would provide the USB driver...

I have an Samsung Galaxy Express and don't have a clue if it supports USB Audio out... it should, since it has 4.1.2 Jelly Bean... but not planning on buying a DAC to find out, without knowing for sure
confused_face(1).gif

Aug 4, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #137 of 2,308
JamesFiiO:

From the descriptions and comments I've read, it sounds as though the E18 will function as a battery pack (like the Verza) as well as an Android DAC.  How much battery life should we expect for the DAC itself and how much life do you expect will be added to the given Android phone/tablet's?

Also: You seem to have chosen the Cirrus Logic CS4398 for the E18.  Will you consider using the ESS ES9018-2M Sabre32 for the E19?

(Beyond that, is the company name pronouced Fie-Oh or Fee-Yo?  Every time I think I know the right pronunciation, some half-lobed peccary corrects me!)

Aug 13, 2013 at 1:39 PM Post #139 of 2,308
What I want from a DAC is crisp, clean, analytical sound. A high-end Wolfson provides that. Most say the Sabres are warmer and smoother.

Leave the coloration to the headphones. Or to nothing at all, depending on your preferences.
My general experience with the 2 brands of dac is actually the opposite.

Aug 15, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #141 of 2,308
It seems aesthetically unadventurous to dismiss a DAC based entirely on other people's descriptions -- i.e., without actually hearing it for oneself. 

Besides which, sonically, cold and warm are vague but relative adjectives which suggest that a piece of equipment is being listened to in relation to different piece of equipment. In order to determine whether those adjectives mattered, one would have to know the other piece intimately and also that the person who made that judgment interpreted sound exactly like oneself.

Aug 15, 2013 at 8:42 PM Post #142 of 2,308
Quote:
It seems aesthetically lazy to dismiss a DAC based entirely on other people's descriptions -- i.e., without actually hearing it for oneself. 

Besides which, cold and warm are subjective descriptors which suggest that a piece of equipment is being listened to in relation to another piece of equipment.  "Warm"? "Cold"? Possibly so, but compared to what? 

You are right. We really don't know how they will sound until they are fully implemented and we hear it.

Aug 16, 2013 at 7:54 AM Post #146 of 2,308
Quote:
Fiio will probably include a mini usb to micro usb otg cable. Fiio sells them currently.

Can you direct us to an official product page for that Fiio cable, K.V.?  I have yet to find it advertised by any of FiiO's approved vendors.

Otherwise, the FiiO L15 seems to be the cable you're talking about.  I haven't found it in the Micca Store or offered by any official FiiO vendors, but this product page and this one claim it's in stock.

Does anyone have any experience buying from Headphone Bar, Headfone Shop or Noisy Motel?  (The last link is for people in Australia who might want to buy the L15.)

§§§§§§§§​

Apart from your elusive FiiO cable, the only all-in-one mini-to-micro OTG cables I've found are the iBasso version previously sold by a third party on ebay (now completely OOS) and this pricey variant by Forza

Most people are using a mini-to-standard USB cable for their DAC (like the one normally included with a portable model) and a standard-to-micro OTG for their phone or tablet. I own a Galaxy S4 myself and that's the combination I'm using at the mome.

Aug 16, 2013 at 11:24 AM Post #147 of 2,308
Quote:
Do you think the DAC and extra power will be an improvement over the stock galaxy S4 electronics?
I have no way of judging the quality of my phone  : )

Yes, I believe it will be.

I have the S4.  While the audio is passable, it isn't exactly inspiring.  That said, I'm listening to the DT1350s, which benefit from amping.  YMMV depending on headphone.

Also, I'm basing this purely on Fiio's reputation...I haven't actually heard the product.

Aug 16, 2013 at 10:24 PM Post #149 of 2,308
Quote:

Can you direct us to an official product page for that Fiio cable, K.V.?  I have yet to find it advertised by any of FiiO's approved vendors.

Otherwise, the FiiO L15 seems to be the cable you're talking about.  I haven't found it in the Micca Store or offered by any official FiiO vendors, but this product page and this one claim it's in stock.

Does anyone have any experience buying from Headphone Bar, Headfone Shop or Noisy Motel?  (The last link is for people in Australia who might want to buy the L15.)

§§§§§§§§​

Apart from your elusive FiiO cable, the only all-in-one mini-to-micro OTG cables I've found are the iBasso version previously sold by a third party on ebay (now completely OOS) and this pricey variant by Forza

Most people are using a mini-to-standard USB cable for their DAC (like the one normally included with a portable model) and a standard-to-micro OTG for their phone or tablet. I own a Galaxy S4 myself and that's the combination I'm using at the mome.

L15 is the cable I'm talking about. Search for mini usb otg cables on amazon. There are few.

Aug 17, 2013 at 4:09 AM Post #150 of 2,308
Will this thing be able to drive my Mad Dogs and K702 AEs like the E12 can?

I just bought one of the new Nexus 7 2nd gens and would love to have this DAC to go with it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back