FiiO E18 Review
Apr 29, 2014 at 6:07 PM Post #91 of 449
After all the headphones I've bought I'm only keeping two pairs - V-Moda M -100 & Sennheiser HD650. The V-Moda's wouldn't suit your musical tastes I'm afraid as they're more of a "fun" sound. The HD650's on the other hand are superb and ideal for your preferred genres. Although they're a 300 Ohm design my E18 has no trouble driving them on low gain. Can they get better with better amplification? You bet! The E18 does a grand job though.

Those Sennheiser HD650 are open back, so therefore they would leak sound, am I correct?  I will be using these in my work environment sitting at a desk with people passing by and at home.. I know they would fit in at home.  Also, these won't be good for on the go? Correct?

Thanks for that feedback..

Apr 29, 2014 at 6:08 PM Post #92 of 449
They don't really work in public spaces I'm afraid. Unless you're built like Annie. They leak loads.

Apr 30, 2014 at 12:52 AM Post #93 of 449
I've been using one of these on a galaxy S4 for just under a week now.
I've tried both the Micro USB input and the 3.5mm Input jack.
I am getting all sorts of clicks, pops, buzzing, and other noise that is
ruining my listening environment.
I've verified that I am not getting any of this noise from the source at all.
Regardless of how close or far away the phone is from the amplifier.
Regardless whether the phones radios are turned on or off (airplane mode).

My E18 amplifier is driving me nuts.
deadhorse.gif

I was very much looking forward to improving my amplification, but sadly
this one is not working for me. I guess I will need to find another option for
my portable amplifier needs.

Apr 30, 2014 at 1:20 AM Post #94 of 449
I get problems with my E18 when I'm truly mobile. Interference then death. I've attributed it to the flaky connection of the micro USB OTG cable. I had thought it might be a kitkat problem as it never happened before that OS update. But back then my GN3 and E18 were brand new.

Apr 30, 2014 at 4:22 AM Post #95 of 449
Just using it as an amp....i dun hv a NEW fone to pair up with the dac yet.
Very good synergy with a sansa clip + , and a Mikros90.

Apr 30, 2014 at 6:42 AM Post #96 of 449
I've just been considering a Sansa Clip. What a difference in size!

May 2, 2014 at 12:55 AM Post #97 of 449
Hi all, just got myself a fiio e18 yesterday, however i seem to have issues getting it connected to my galaxy note 2, sometimes it connects sometimes it doesn't for some odd reason. And is it normal for the e18 to make a clicking noise everytime you switch on to a different mode? (like changing to CHG OUT for eg)

It's been quite a hassle getting it to work, and im hoping its not an issue everyone is facing.

May 2, 2014 at 7:18 AM Post #98 of 449
  I've been using one of these on a galaxy S4 for just under a week now.
I've tried both the Micro USB input and the 3.5mm Input jack.
I am getting all sorts of clicks, pops, buzzing, and other noise that is
ruining my listening environment.
I've verified that I am not getting any of this noise from the source at all.
Regardless of how close or far away the phone is from the amplifier.
Regardless whether the phones radios are turned on or off (airplane mode).

My E18 amplifier is driving me nuts.
deadhorse.gif

I was very much looking forward to improving my amplification, but sadly
this one is not working for me. I guess I will need to find another option for
my portable amplifier needs.

From reading the latest reviews/comments, I am on the verge of returning my E18, unopened!!  The reason they are unopened, because the phones I was going to use them with, AKG K550, the seller don't have in stock, and my car was stolen last Friday, with my ONLY two sets of phones in the car. So, I am headphone-less, with a brand new E18, and getting shaky reviews. I dunno!! 

May 2, 2014 at 8:45 AM Post #99 of 449
After all the headphones I've bought I'm only keeping two pairs - V-Moda M -100 & Sennheiser HD650. The V-Moda's wouldn't suit your musical tastes I'm afraid as they're more of a "fun" sound. The HD650's on the other hand are superb and ideal for your preferred genres. Although they're a 300 Ohm design my E18 has no trouble driving them on low gain. Can they get better with better amplification? You bet! The E18 does a grand job though.

For what is worth, I use the M-100 for classical and Piano concertos and like them very much. Nothing that a bit of EQ cant fix if the headphone is high quality! :)

As for the interference noises...I never had it with the E18 but I did have it before with the E6 and the E11 though.

May 2, 2014 at 10:37 AM Post #100 of 449
For what is worth, I use the M-100 for classical and Piano concertos and like them very much. Nothing that a bit of EQ cant fix if the headphone is high quality! :)

As for the interference noises...I never had it with the E18 but I did have it before with the E6 and the E11 though.

I take the point and I also will use the M's for lighter music from time to time. EQ can work wonders if used correctly but even so it can't put "space" into the sound. Only open headphones do that trick.

Edit - I've had interference & cut-out increasingly lately. I'm inclined to think it's a problem with the OTG USB cable as it's very exposed when carried in the pocket. Anyway, I cured it. I bought a Sansa Clip+.

May 2, 2014 at 10:39 AM Post #101 of 449
I take the point and I also will use the M's for lighter music from time to time. EQ can work wonders if used correctly but even so it can't put "space" into the sound. Only open headphones do that trick.

Oh yeah, no way around the limitation of closed headphones in that regards compared to open ones.

May 2, 2014 at 5:50 PM Post #102 of 449

Edit - I've had interference & cut-out increasingly lately. I'm inclined to think it's a problem with the OTG USB cable as it's very exposed when carried in the pocket. Anyway, I cured it. I bought a Sansa Clip+.

So that means, you have no more problems with your E18?

May 2, 2014 at 6:26 PM Post #103 of 449
It means I gave up carrying a brick around in my pocket and decided 90% of the sound I get at home is good enough.

Sorry, I should clarify that. The Sansa Clip+ does not sound as good as the E18, buts it's a lot closer to it than the E18 is to my O2.

:):):)

May 4, 2014 at 1:18 PM Post #104 of 449
I find that if I don't stack/sandwhich my cellphone and E18, I don't get interference. When I commute, I have enough room in my bag that I can get away without stacking/sandwiching.

May 4, 2014 at 2:16 PM Post #105 of 449
I find that if I don't stack/sandwhich my cellphone and E18, I don't get interference. When I commute, I have enough room in my bag that I can get away without stacking/sandwiching.

Mine is the same way, although I typically have to use an otg adapter and the supplied USB a to micro b cable, as I sometimes still get interference when not stacking but using the tiny 3" mobile micro to micro cables supplied.

Despite being able to find an interference way to use the e18, the fact that it was designed to be a mobile companion to android phones, and then that the interference free setup is no longer mobile just doesn't sit right with me. I'll be selling mine along with some of my other DACs and headphones later today on ebay or the FS forums. If anyone wants to jump ahead, shoot me a pm with offer. It's a rev. B and I am convinced it is not defective as the other interference e18 folks have come out of the cracks in recent posts too. I haven't researched values for any of my gear, so I don't know what to ask for it yet, but it's got less than 50 hours on it. 80% of that time has been plugged in in pc mode on my work lenovo laptop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back