FiiO E18 Review
May 4, 2014 at 2:29 PM Post #106 of 449
It means I gave up carrying a brick around in my pocket and decided 90% of the sound I get at home is good enough.

Sorry, I should clarify that. The Sansa Clip+ does not sound as good as the E18, buts it's a lot closer to it than the E18 is to my O2.

smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Hiya again, newbie, and reading the last couple reports of interference with the E18, and mainly because it is not a worthwhile companion to the  AKG Q701, my better judgment, I am returning the one I got..
My question is, if you don't mind, what would be a good portable headphone amp/dac to get to pair up with my Note 3 and phones like the Q701?

May 4, 2014 at 3:02 PM Post #107 of 449
I can only recommend what I've heard & used. In my opinion there's nothing wrong with the E18. The problem for me lay with the OTG USB method of connection. Without a custom cable build I think the method is inherently flawed, too fragile.

Also, the Q701's are notoriously difficult to drive, at least so people more knowledgeable than myself have said.

Also, summer's coming but you can keep your big jacket on. You'll need somewhere to hold the brick that is the SGN3+E18.

Personally? I'm happy with the Sansa.

May 4, 2014 at 4:40 PM Post #108 of 449
I can only recommend what I've heard & used. In my opinion there's nothing wrong with the E18. The problem for me lay with the OTG USB method of connection. Without a custom cable build I think the method is inherently flawed, too fragile.

Also, the Q701's are notoriously difficult to drive, at least so people more knowledgeable than myself have said.

Also, summer's coming but you can keep your big jacket on. You'll need somewhere to hold the brick that is the SGN3+E18.

Personally? I'm happy with the Sansa.

As always, really thankful for the feedback.
The summer will be no problem carrying the brick, even though I am mid 70s, I travel mostly on two wheels. Superfast motorcycle, and almost equally fast bicycle..  I carry a small tankbag on the motorcycle, and a small backpack on the bicycle. Both of these easily will accommodate the brick. No,  I will not dare to listen while I am driving the motorcycle or the bicycle.  that is for when I reach my destination. The bags will be where I carry the brick..
If I decide to keep the E18, what cable would your recommend?
Thanks again, 
beerchug.gif

May 4, 2014 at 6:59 PM Post #109 of 449
Do you mean the OTG USB cable? Sonically speaking just use anything. It's a digital cable. Build quality matters though so maybe something from ALO, Forza or Toxic. The trouble is some of them cost more than the E18 and that's crazy.

May 5, 2014 at 3:33 PM Post #111 of 449
Hey guys my fiio e18 is gonna arrive tomorrow, any suggestion for a high end active noise isolation headphone apart from Bose qc15...how's psb

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

I have a pair of QC15's and although the active noise cancelation is outstanding, the process detracts from SQ. So if you're using a DAC to get better SQ, I'd recommend looking at a good set of IEMs that have good passive isolation. For that price you can look at IEMs with multiple BAs (Balanced Armatures), hybrids, etc that will produde far better sound. Why use an external DAC/Amp if you are going to lose SQ in the headphones? I use Sony XBA-3's with the supplied silicone+foam tips. They isolate well and the sound is far better than the QC-15s. Sony makes a new line of hybrids, you can probably find all sorts of opinions on Head-Fi. I recently bought a pair of XBA-H1's for my wife who's not an audio nut, I'm working on that. It came to $99.95 at BestBuy, they matched Amazon's price. I am pleasantly surprised at how good they sound, especially at the price. They come with a variety of tips including the silicon+foam types. Sony also makes fancier IEM's for a modest price. You can put in more bucks and go further upscale, but if you aren't will to part with big $$, the XBA-H1's are a steal.

May 5, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #112 of 449
Hey guys my fiio e18 is gonna arrive tomorrow, any suggestion for a high end active noise isolation headphone apart from Bose qc15...how's psb

My Fiio E18 arrived about 5 days ago, but I just took it out the box and it charging up right now..

I am newbie too. 

May 5, 2014 at 10:32 PM Post #114 of 449
  5 days!? Get out, I could never wait that long, maybe 5 minutes.

Well, under my circumstances you would have to have waited too.. 
biggrin.gif
 I only had two sets of headphones, they are listed in my signature, I just happened to have carried both pair to work with me. On the way back home I stopped at a friend's house, and my van was stolen.
frown.gif
  Both pairs gone, and all I had left was the E18..The very next day I reordered the Sony MDR 1RBTMK2, and the Harman Kardon BT.  They both arrived today.. The Sonys came from Hong Kong, and the HK from Calif.  So, today I open the Fiio E18. Still I am a newbie, and don't know Jack.. So, I am going to try to follow you on the setup.. 
biggrin.gif

May 5, 2014 at 10:43 PM Post #115 of 449
  Well, under my circumstances you would have to have waited too.. 
biggrin.gif
 I only had two sets of headphones, they are listed in my signature, I just happened to have carried both pair to work with me. On the way back home I stopped at a friend's house, and my van was stolen.
frown.gif
  Both pairs gone, and all I had left was the E18..The very next day I reordered the Sony MDR 1RBTMK2, and the Harman Kardon BT.  They both arrived today.. The Sonys came from Hong Kong, and the HK from Calif.  So, today I open the Fiio E18. Still I am a newbie, and don't know Jack.. So, I am going to try to follow you on the setup.. 
biggrin.gif

Dang, I'd hunt those perps down and strangle them with a headphone cable. You need an emergency pair of IEMs. Since you like Sony, the XBA-H1's are a steal, they sound very very good for the price.
Did you ever get a chance to listen to a good pair of open back cans like a Sennheiser HD600?

May 6, 2014 at 11:19 AM Post #116 of 449
Got my e18 today...worked perfect on galaxy note 3 and galaxy note 10.1 2014 edition and on computer...using Hifiman RE 400 and they are sounding amazing

For all those hearing any annoying noise it's probably to do with lower version of android ... KitKat has flawless support for usb audio and in general for all plug n play device ....

May 6, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #117 of 449
Got my e18 today...worked perfect on galaxy note 3 and galaxy note 10.1 2014 edition and on computer...using Hifiman RE 400 and they are sounding amazing

For all those hearing any annoying noise it's probably to do with lower version of android ... KitKat has flawless support for usb audio and in general for all plug n play device ....

That is reasurring. i have the Note 3, and I had a 10.1 2014, but that go stolen a week ago..Going to replace it with the tab pro 8.4. It seem matching the headphones to the E18 is desiribale.. The Hifiman RE 400 are open back if I am not mistaken

May 6, 2014 at 7:45 PM Post #118 of 449
  That is reasurring. i have the Note 3, and I had a 10.1 2014, but that go stolen a week ago..Going to replace it with the tab pro 8.4. It seem matching the headphones to the E18 is desiribale.. The Hifiman RE 400 are open back if I am not mistaken

The RE-400's are IEMs not headphones.

May 9, 2014 at 9:39 AM Post #120 of 449
  My Fiio E18 arrived about 5 days ago, but I just took it out the box and it charging up right now..

I am newbie too. 

Newbie back. I FINALLY hooked the E18 up to my Harman Kardon BTs.. The connection was Note 3-Fiio E18-Harman Kardon BT... Played a FLAC file through PowerAmp off the Note 3.

Result.. That was yesterday, I still have a locked grin from what I was hearing, and the HK BTs are not even the phones I purchased the E18 for.. 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back