FiiO E18 Review
Apr 23, 2014 at 11:29 AM Post #76 of 449
Thanks again!

Interference does not sound good at all :frowning2:

Hmmm I would use an amp so like you digitally attenuated volume on hrt streamer not a factor.

If you have another minute could you describe what you like about the hrt streamer to e12 vs e18 to e12? Soundstage, details dynamics? Etc

I am reading all the e18 threads and reviews just saw a few posts you made :)

I believe I've made comparisons in the past. Look thru my profile for past posts I've made. Also as a disclaimer...sometimes I cant tell the difference between some dacs or other products, making me think I'm not one to be qualified to make subjective comparisons that would influence others' buying decisions. But with that said, when I have a/b'd the e18 and hrt, I do notice additional detail and depth to the music I listen to. It is why I haven't used my e18 in probably over a month (and I've traveled for work the past 3 weeks, giving me TONS of listening time, yet I still leave the e18 at home).

Apr 23, 2014 at 11:33 AM Post #77 of 449
I believe I've made comparisons in the past. Look thru my profile for past posts I've made. Also as a disclaimer...sometimes I cant tell the difference between some dacs or other products, making me think I'm not one to be qualified to make subjective comparisons that would influence others' buying decisions. But with that said, when I have a/b'd the e18 and hrt, I do notice additional detail and depth to the music I listen to. It is why I haven't used my e18 in probably over a month (and I've traveled for work the past 3 weeks, giving me TONS of listening time, yet I still leave the e18 at home).

Sounds good lol thanks I will check it out :)

At least for your ears and music and head/earphones it is clear which DAC is better ... Maybe I will buy both and the dragonfly and a b c them for myself tried my Asus U3 into amp and it was worse than note 3 directly into amp.

I got some music to get to :)

Cheers

Apr 23, 2014 at 11:38 AM Post #78 of 449
Sounds good lol thanks I will check it out :)

At least for your ears and music and head/earphones it is clear which DAC is better ... Maybe I will buy both and the dragonfly and a b c them for myself tried my Asus U3 into amp and it was worse than note 3 directly into amp.

I got some music to get to :)

Cheers
yep. I had the dragonfly 1.0 from best buy too. Returned it. Too bright perhaps. I don't know. I think the bottom line might be that these are all great products in their price range, and you will likely be happy with either. Kind of like when buying a tv. In the store there are so so so many things to compare, but once you bring only one home, that one turns out to be quite alright!

I have a Centrance HiFi-m8 on order, so I am hoping to find more substantial differences between that and these more budget friendly products we've been discussing. If not, I'll be selling that and knowing that the hrt is the limit in bang for buck that my ears care about!!

Apr 24, 2014 at 6:01 AM Post #79 of 449
Thanks again!

Interference does not sound good at all
frown.gif

Hmmm I would use an amp so like you digitally attenuated volume on hrt streamer not a factor.

If you have another minute could you describe what you like about the hrt streamer to e12 vs e18 to e12? Soundstage, details dynamics? Etc

I am reading all the e18 threads and reviews just saw a few posts you made
smily_headphones1.gif

I am right there with you in reading all the reviews on the E18.. I ordered the E18 yesterday..

From my readings, the problems that do arrive the solution is to upgrade your OS.. Example one user complained to Fiio about a problem, and was told to upgrade their OS, user did that and problem solved.
Also, for the Samsung Galaxys, it seems you have to have KK 4.3 or above.  Below that, some problems arrive. I am running KK 4.4.2 on my Note 3, so I am looking for smooth sailing when it arrives. I have KK 4.3 on my Note 10.1, so that should be okay too.

Apr 24, 2014 at 7:07 AM Post #80 of 449
I am right there with you in reading all the reviews on the E18.. I ordered the E18 yesterday..

From my readings, the problems that do arrive the solution is to upgrade your OS.. Example one user complained to Fiio about a problem, and was told to upgrade their OS, user did that and problem solved.
Also, for the Samsung Galaxys, it seems you have to have KK 4.3 or above.  Below that, some problems arrive. I am running KK 4.4.2 on my Note 3, so I am looking for smooth sailing when it arrives. I have KK 4.3 on my Note 10.1, so that should be okay too.

Two points: I don't have an upgrade to my os (I am on the latest update), and if I can have an hit microstreamer, fiio e7, schiit modi, AQ Dragonfly, and even a dirt cheap hifimeDIY android dac ALL work interference free while stacked on the phone, why should I have to upgrade my os to work with this e18?

Apr 24, 2014 at 7:32 AM Post #81 of 449
Two points: I don't have an upgrade to my os (I am on the latest update), and if I can have an hit microstreamer, fiio e7, schiit modi, AQ Dragonfly, and even a dirt cheap hifimeDIY android dac ALL work interference free while stacked on the phone, why should I have to upgrade my os to work with this e18?

First off, you level of expertise in this is way, way over me. I have none of your audio knowledge or equipment. Just a novice, trying to learn.
With that said,  I do have "common sense".. I read your comments and problems with the E18, and I read other comments too. Your comment is in the minority. That is all I am saying. Sure there have been problems with all gadgets. But, is the problem 90% out of 100%?No gadget/item is perfect 100%.

Are 90 out of 100 people with this item having the same problem?. If that is so, then this item wouldn't  sell.
The point is, out of 100 reviews/comments on this item, 90 out of 100 have been positive. In your situation/environment for some reason the item is not performing as it should. But, is that the norm? I would think not

Your feedback is awesome too.  
beerchug.gif

Apr 24, 2014 at 8:44 AM Post #82 of 449
You won't have any problems with the GN3 on kitkat.

Apr 25, 2014 at 8:02 AM Post #83 of 449
You won't have any problems with the GN3 on kitkat.

I think that is the majority opinion.I have read a lot of reviews and comments on the E18..They are running 92% positive.. And the 8%, have explanations and fixes to what is going on.. 
My E18 will be here tomorrow.. Sad thing is that the AKG K550 headphones I had ordered, they wind up being backordered, so I am going to order the AKG Q701.. From reading they will perform well with a push from something like the E18.

Thanks for that feedback...
beerchug.gif

Apr 25, 2014 at 10:02 AM Post #84 of 449
Not a good combination in my opinion. I have the Q's and don't like them much paired with the E18.

Apr 25, 2014 at 11:16 AM Post #85 of 449
Not a good combination in my opinion. I have the Q's and don't like them much paired with the E18.

Arrrgggg, what is the reason?  From what I been reading, the Qs do need to be pushed..Okay, going to push them with the E18.. Would you consider the AKG K550 and better choice being pushed with the E18? 

Trying to get some good wired cans in the $200 $250 range.. The Qs were $400+ MSRP.. They are now $200 new...

Apr 25, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #86 of 449
I find the Q's to be a very "difficult" headphone. I can only compare the E18 with my O2 but the O2 feels relaxed & effortless. The E18 certainly drives the Q's to satisfactory levels, even on low gain but they also thin and a bit 2d. I have no experience of the 550's so can't say for definite but I'd guess they'll be fine.

Apr 27, 2014 at 7:55 AM Post #87 of 449
I find the Q's to be a very "difficult" headphone. I can only compare the E18 with my O2 but the O2 feels relaxed & effortless. The E18 certainly drives the Q's to satisfactory levels, even on low gain but they also thin and a bit 2d. I have no experience of the 550's so can't say for definite but I'd guess they'll be fine.

Well, the AKG K550s are still an option, only thing is the refurbished ones going for $130 are not available...

In your opinion, what would be a good match for the E18 in open and closed back headphones. Budget can go up to $300, might raise it a little..I don't listen to rap, and hard rock Mostly jazzy vocals, cool jazz, and the like. And would like to get into the classical stuff. I got bad hearing too.. 
darthsmile.gif

Apr 29, 2014 at 6:40 AM Post #89 of 449
Test drove the e18 on a kef200 recently... vs a Santa clip+
My visa screammmmmed for mercy:)
V impressed with this smart little metalbox!

Apr 29, 2014 at 8:57 AM Post #90 of 449
Well, the AKG K550s are still an option, only thing is the refurbished ones going for $130 are not available...

In your opinion, what would be a good match for the E18 in open and closed back headphones. Budget can go up to $300, might raise it a little..I don't listen to rap, and hard rock Mostly jazzy vocals, cool jazz, and the like. And would like to get into the classical stuff. I got bad hearing too.. :darthsmile:  

After all the headphones I've bought I'm only keeping two pairs - V-Moda M -100 & Sennheiser HD650. The V-Moda's wouldn't suit your musical tastes I'm afraid as they're more of a "fun" sound. The HD650's on the other hand are superb and ideal for your preferred genres. Although they're a 300 Ohm design my E18 has no trouble driving them on low gain. Can they get better with better amplification? You bet! The E18 does a grand job though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back