FiiO E18 Review
Feb 17, 2014 at 11:45 AM Post #46 of 449
  It really depends on your headphones.

If you are using IEM's sub $150, I wouldn't bother upgrading to O2/ODAC or MM bundle.

Well I have following IEMs: Sony MH1C, NuForce Ne700x, Monster Gratitude, VSonic GR01, Musical Fidelity EB50, Klipsch X10i, Phonak Audeo PFE111, Sony XBA-H3, Philips Fidelio S2 (I just like to try different stuff:) ). Besides Musical Fidelity they all sounds great with E18. Musical Fidelity actually sounds better directly from HTC One or Sansa Clip Zip (don't know why - maybe because of it's neutrality and very flat response).
By MM bundle you meant Schiit?

Feb 22, 2014 at 11:11 AM Post #48 of 449
  how would you compare this to the Andes-E07K?

The ANDES E07K sports a much warmer sound signature with an accentuation in the mid bass and a slight smothering of the vocals in where they become a bit too 'warm' and smooth. The E18 gives you a more balanced vocal range, and a more controlled bass along with a clearer sound signature that has qualities similar to an O2, but it has problems in the upper mid range, and high range with sonic fluctuations and deficiencies that may make it more analytical for some headphones.

The two units are quite different in their functions, although the E18 can also be a computer and portable DAC/amp. I would go for the E18 if you want a higher quality sound (at a loss of cohesion) and want to make use of its Android features. I would go for the ANDES if you want a funner sound, don't have as much money for the E18, take a gamble at trying to get it to work with Android devices (it is known to work with some), and want a device of that size.

Mar 18, 2014 at 9:10 AM Post #49 of 449
Can anyone compare the Fiio E18 to the HRT Microstreamer?

Apr 3, 2014 at 3:31 AM Post #50 of 449
I'm currently using a Sennheiser HD598 looking for a portable Amp/DAC 

Is this going to be a good match for my HD598 ? I like warm sounding and wide soundstage. 

Will the effect be really obvious ? Because i tried JDS Labs C5D and i hear no different.  

Please help me make the right decision. I'm looking for a obvious improving portable Amp/DAC. 

Apr 3, 2014 at 4:55 AM Post #51 of 449
I find the E18 to be quite lean and punchy. If your Sennheiser has the typical warmish Sennheiser sound they might pair quite well. I'm sorry I can't be more specific but I've not heard your particular headphones. What are you going to be hooking up to the DAC?

Apr 3, 2014 at 8:50 AM Post #52 of 449

Will the effect be really obvious ? Because i tried JDS Labs C5D and i hear no different.  

You know, depending on your source and how bad/good it already is, "obvious" is not the first word that comes to mind when testing a DAC specially in your case that you already tried one without noticing anything. To me DAC is something that takes more of a "trained" ear. Not having a super ear, we all pretty much have the same capacity but knowing what you are listening for. Also your files will be important of course. You want high quality files like 320 mp3 or higher to get the most of it.
I do agree Zorrofox on his description of the E18 sound.

Apr 16, 2014 at 1:58 AM Post #55 of 449
Z ultra worked with creative omni usb in my case
I cant tell either was it digital out ro jusrlt forwarded analog through usb cable
But it worked with poweramp and very well.... Only thing wqs that it was recognised as external keyboard and i couldnt use another keybord...no typing possible with external dac
Maybe possible and i couldnt solve that

Apr 16, 2014 at 3:32 AM Post #56 of 449
If it's through the USB then it's digital. For better sound try Neutron. You will not be disappointed.

Apr 16, 2014 at 8:03 AM Post #60 of 449
It supports usb digital out, doesnt it?
Asking just for any case...and is it really an improvement over poweramp?
Even with onboard dac?

Yes, yes & yes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back