FiiO E17K Review
Feb 28, 2015 at 5:56 AM Post #51 of 135
I´m using this STACK: iPhone4S - L9 Cable - FiiO E11 - 3,5-3,5mm jack - FiiO E17 - B&W´s P7 (third set - my first two wasn't ok at all, but this is very dynamic). The iPhone´s amp & sound-quality in general has declined since the 4S. I´m absolutely aware about the sad fact that I only use the amps from the FiiO-products and NOT the decent DAC from the E17, but I think the sound-quality is very good (the P7 obviously got a significant influence,). BUT the combo of E11 & E17 are actually far better then I expected before I "stacked´em". Sounds like they're fulfilling each others strengths and weaknesses.

Actually I thought about buying a X5 & try it with the E17, but I´m far from sure anymore after I read it exists lots of better combos within the $500 segment. Please give me some advises somebody:wink:)!

BTW: I definitely without any degree of doubt get the absolutely bestthe absolutely best sound from my P7´s when I´m @ home and use the following combination: iMac 27 i7 - QED USB-cable - Cambridge Audio DacMagic +´s optical out to E17's SPDIF IN and finally the P7´s from the head-set port.

I´ve tried lots of different set-ups, but this really take the fabulous potential from B&W´s first head-set with a huge potential.

HighEndNorway ® 

Mar 13, 2015 at 10:02 AM Post #52 of 135
Apologies in advance if this has already been answered in the review (I'm terrible with this amp/dac jargon). I've gotten the k7xx off the latest drop and am searching for an amp solution. I primarily play music from my iPhone 6 and less often from my computer. Does the E17k work as both an amp AND dac for both portable and desktop setup? Because from what I understand so far its either a portable amp OR its a desktop dac.

Mar 20, 2015 at 8:51 AM Post #54 of 135
Hello guys, I'm very new in this are, and this is my first post, I'm in the market for new DAC/AMP or AMP only, I will pair it mainly with my Phone Xperia Z, or maybe future FiiO X3, and using some IEMs and Headphone (Noble 3, ATH M50x, HD 558). Does E17K is a good pair, I'm confused on which one to pick between E17K and E12A, or is there any good combination under $200.

Mar 24, 2015 at 3:53 PM Post #55 of 135
Hello Bowie,

I don't have the HS6 stacking kit.

Most pictures feature the X5 stacked with E12/A but the kit should still work irregardless.

X5 features a more clear sound sig. But messes up a lot on the quality of its transparency by being too harsh and clear whereas the E17K sports basic level high-end features but with a nice fun sound. 

I would heavilly prefer having the sound of the E17K on the x5 yes :D

So much less fatiguing. The dark background on E17K works well for passive listening as well. 

You lose a bit of detail...but I can dig it now that my ears wont fall off from long term X5 listening. 

I'm curently doing AUX input on the E17K. Meaning using DAC of X5 and amps on the E17K. I like this sound more for passive listening (X5 has a more clear and forward sig) but its really a waste of money. 

You should NOT drop $500 ($350 X5 and $150 E17K) for this....... I'm only doing it because you and others requested it and because I have these devices. Don't waste your money stacking the E17K and X5. There are much better stacks you can do for $500.

Instead, stack a dedicated amp with the X5. The E17Ks cost goes into it being multi function, and not on its abilities seperately as an amp or DAC. Drop that $150 into maybe an ALO, Leckerton, headroom amp etc. You get the point. 

Hello Bowie,

This is a very good post. I´m new on this HIFI music thing and I thought that if I have a DAC and a AMP`is enough to have a better sound. I tried to hook up with my IPod in the AUX.. I just realized that there is no big changes, only the amp. With this connection, I´m having 48K 16 bits in the E17K. As I wasnt happy with this I wrote to FiiO. The answer was "The DAC will not work with iPod". After this I read a lot to understand that neither Ipod or Iphone FiiO can´t guarantee that will work perfect with the Camera USB kit. Based on all this I decided to buy a HIFI player, in this case a X5. I saw some pictures and think that a amp is needed. I started to think if it´s a good combination X5 and the E17K that I already have but after read what you wrote, I´m a bit lost
:frowning2:
Please in my case, do you have any suggestion, so I can start the real experience with my music ? :)

Thanks,
Camillo

Mar 25, 2015 at 1:14 AM Post #56 of 135
  Hello Bowie,

Hello Bowie,

This is a very good post. I´m new on this HIFI music thing and I thought that if I have a DAC and a AMP`is enough to have a better sound. I tried to hook up with my IPod in the AUX.. I just realized that there is no big changes, only the amp. With this connection, I´m having 48K 16 bits in the E17K. As I wasnt happy with this I wrote to FiiO. The answer was "The DAC will not work with iPod". After this I read a lot to understand that neither Ipod or Iphone FiiO can´t guarantee that will work perfect with the Camera USB kit. Based on all this I decided to buy a HIFI player, in this case a X5. I saw some pictures and think that a amp is needed. I started to think if it´s a good combination X5 and the E17K that I already have but after read what you wrote, I´m a bit lost
:frowning2:
Please in my case, do you have any suggestion, so I can start the real experience with my music ? :)

Thanks,
Camillo

Experiencing music doesn't start with a monetary push towards expensive gear. It starts with a love for music, an identification of how it could sound like, and a well budgeted investment towards the devices that may bring you it. 

I would first start off with your headphones. A $600 portable DAP is in the field of Colorfly and some used Astell Kerns. This is really on for people that have a lot of money and some super nice desktop cans that they want to wear ceremonially around the house or at meets.

for a portable DAP, look into some of the lower end Colorflys, hisound, and FiiO X3 2nd generation if you have say $200-$300 headphones. 

But if you already have an iPod and didn't hear any big changes. Then perhaps it just is that it wasn't meant to be as you already have the unit.

Do you like it when you plug it into the computer? (E17K) if it still sounds the same to you. Then you are lucky. You won't have to spend the money

May 10, 2015 at 1:48 AM Post #59 of 135
E17k let you deactivate the USB charge, so you don't damage the battery

So just to confirm. USB Charge off -> Uses power from USB and not charge the battery. It doesnt drain the battery at all when it is connected to the computer? I have the impression that in E17 that USB charge off means use device battery + dac input from PC. Has that changed in the E17k?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back