FiiO E17K Review
May 11, 2015 at 4:19 AM Post #61 of 135
E17k let you deactivate the USB charge, so you don't damage the battery

So just to confirm. USB Charge off -> Uses power from USB and not charge the battery. It doesnt drain the battery at all when it is connected to the computer? I have the impression that in E17 that USB charge off means use device battery + dac input from PC. Has that changed in the E17k?

I have just tested this. It seems that USB charge off would drain the battery making it useless to disable it when using 24/7.

Jun 19, 2015 at 3:46 PM Post #63 of 135
  I have an iPod Classic (7th Gen, 160GB) + Sennheiser Momentum Over-Ear. Will E17k suit/boost my current set-up?

I have an Ipod Classic (5th gen.) & I'm in the market for a portable Amp / DAC solution for the car.  Thinking about using the Fiio L11 with the E17K.  Would this work well?  

I'm open to other suggestions if this wouldn't be a great fit. 

Jun 23, 2015 at 9:00 AM Post #64 of 135
I have an E17K and the camera kit for iDevices that I am selling.  The E17K works wonderfully with Sennheiser Momentums, an iPhone 6 Plus, and the camera adapter.  It just doesn't suit my needs right now.  Unfortunately my wife tossed the box, so I can't send it back to Amazon.  PM me if you are interested the E17K and the camera adapter.

Jun 28, 2015 at 4:06 PM Post #65 of 135
I have an E17K and the camera kit for iDevices that I am selling.  The E17K works wonderfully with Sennheiser Momentums, an iPhone 6 Plus, and the camera adapter.  It just doesn't suit my needs right now.  Unfortunately my wife tossed the box, so I can't send it back to Amazon.  PM me if you are interested the E17K and the camera adapter.

how much?

Jul 27, 2015 at 7:56 PM Post #66 of 135
Hi im new at this of the "Sound Quality" products and I just bought the ATH-M50X , they are amazing and i want to get all the juice i can get from them with a good AMP-DAC. 

i cant decide between the FiiO E10 - E10K (not sure which one of these is better) or the FiiO E17K ALPEN 2

can i have some good help here??

Jul 28, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #67 of 135
@Toshiro 17 I have not tried the E10 or 10K at all. However some INITIAL impressions about my little experience with the E17K can be found in this post: http://www.head-fi.org/t/658673/yamaha-hph-mt220-thread-merged/1455#post_11791546

They are the wonderful Yamaha MT 220, which have similar specifications as the ATH M50X (another can I briefly considered). The sound is supposed to be very different though - MT 220 is more studio like and more balanced vs the more Bass/V emphasis on the M50X. You can find some opinions about those in the thread too, if you care for it.

I had very briefly considered the E10K, which too is supposed to have "good sound" for the money paid. However it is not portable and a device with a battery would often have cleaner power and less noise. Some posts on the matter out here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/658673/yamaha-hph-mt220-thread-merged/1425#post_11786497

Aug 1, 2015 at 5:43 PM Post #68 of 135
Some questions. I plan to have this together with Vmoda Boompro Mic, will it work with 4pins Aux? I mean the microphone.

So.... it wont charging while using it as a computer DAC with USB input?

Sep 15, 2015 at 1:46 PM Post #69 of 135
I just bought a USB micro to micro for my Z1 Compact to be paired with E17K and it get the job done! Wow. 96k 24bit!  I telll you all fellas, this thing really awesome. By the way, I wonder why those number change? When I plugged it to my Asus X450JF it is written 48k 16 bit. I wonder why <-- newbie

Sep 17, 2015 at 4:58 AM Post #70 of 135
Does this thing work with Galaxy S4 and if so, will it kill the battery life? Also, it seems like a good fit with AKG K550? Don't need a lot of power, but the sound's been characterized as largely flat but with a bit of added warmth and more "there" or emotional, so to speak, which are areas the K550 could definitely stand to be nudged a bit towards.

The phone compatibility is the primary concern here, though.

Sep 17, 2015 at 6:46 AM Post #71 of 135
Does this thing work with Galaxy S4 and if so, will it kill the battery life? Also, it seems like a good fit with AKG K550? Don't need a lot of power, but the sound's been characterized as largely flat but with a bit of added warmth and more "there" or emotional, so to speak, which are areas the K550 could definitely stand to be nudged a bit towards.

The phone compatibility is the primary concern here, though.

It may depend on the particular firmware used, but they should work together, maybe with all apps, or maybe only with players with explicit USB Audio support (HibyMusic is a good one).

It won't kill battery life, because you can turn off USB charging on the E17K so it won't drain your S4 trying to charge itself :)

--Joe for FiiO

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Sep 19, 2015 at 6:24 AM Post #72 of 135
Got it. Very raw initial impressions, from a hifi noob:

Old setup: Laptop + AKG K550. Off the laptop's card, the K550s have a sound that feels spacious but not grand, analytical, a bit lacking in bass presence. You can hear everything but there's a distinct lack of punch to it, and the sound feels maybe a bit cold, clinical, controlled rather than emotional, warm and lively.

The initial listen (Laptop=>FiiO=>K550)

The first feeling listening to the E17K was claustrophobia. It felt like the previously spacious room was turned into a Japanese capsule hotel or something like that. A small closet with everything stuffed in my face. The bass was noticeably more forward, and I could make out a lot more details in the lower frequencies. It definitely felt like I'm not listening to just the music.

More listening after a night's sleep:
Things still feel like they're much closer, competing for less space, but the initial really congested feeling was probably just not used to the bass being this present. Bass still very much forward and sharp, distinct.
Tinkering with settings, upping the gain from 6dB to 12dB feels like the sound gets considerably more life and presence, and the feeling of congestion lets off some. It's a good sound but very different from the one without and does feel a bit tiring compared to listening without the FiiO.

Sep 24, 2015 at 2:50 PM Post #75 of 135
Installed the drivers. Says 96k 24bit now. Seems to sound better. Soundstage is still maybe a bit smaller, but the sound is easier to listen to and definitely has more life and bass power to it than without the FiiO. I think a lot of the initial claustrophobia was just the bass - without amplification you kind of just hear the timbre of the note, but not the drive from the bass, if that makes sense? And the drive takes a LOT of space.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back