FiiO E17K Review
Jan 22, 2017 at 4:04 PM Post #121 of 135
Just A/B tested the Fiio Alpen 2 E17K against the Olympus 2 E10K...

Usage: Desktop computer via USB
Source: Ableton Live tracking / monitoring
Headphones: AKG Q701 at 62 ohm impedance
Came from: Weak headphone out on NI Komplete Audio 6 (I do believe the KA6 headphone out was designed for higher impedance headphones)

Impression:
The E17K beats the E10K pretty easily. More distinct separation of frequencies, less muddy midbass. Even cranking the E10K up to max volume of 8, it left power and detail to be desired that the E17K delivered easily at around a volume of 33. Not sure why as my headphone impedance is smack in the middle of the E10K recommended range of 16-150 ohms, same as the E17K range.

I don't understand the lingo so perhaps someone could enlighten us as to why this is. Anyway, happily sticking with the E17K.

Jan 26, 2017 at 6:06 PM Post #123 of 135
  Just A/B tested the Fiio Alpen 2 E17K against the Olympus 2 E10K...

Usage: Desktop computer via USB
Source: Ableton Live tracking / monitoring
Headphones: AKG Q701 at 62 ohm impedance
Came from: Weak headphone out on NI Komplete Audio 6 (I do believe the KA6 headphone out was designed for higher impedance headphones)

Impression:
The E17K beats the E10K pretty easily. More distinct separation of frequencies, less muddy midbass. Even cranking the E10K up to max volume of 8, it left power and detail to be desired that the E17K delivered easily at around a volume of 33. Not sure why as my headphone impedance is smack in the middle of the E10K recommended range of 16-150 ohms, same as the E17K range.

I don't understand the lingo so perhaps someone could enlighten us as to why this is. Anyway, happily sticking with the E17K.

If it is of any help, both E17k and E10k use rather somewhat hardware hardware.  E17k has a better USB receiver, plus battery power source, which beats USB power a bit in being cleaner.  Cleaner power = better sound, though a better source (in this case, the USB receiver) can also make a worthwhile difference.  Different LPF opamp for the PCM5102 DAC chip (OPA1662 in the E10k vs. OPA1622 in the E17k).  I wonder why they went with 1622 instead of sticking to 1662, which draws less current and thus would contribute to a bit more battery life.
I tried a friend's E10k with my Schiit Wyrd between it and my computer.  Nice little unit, but the crosstalk got on my nerves (audible leakage of the left channel signal in the right and vice versa, creating a smaller soundstage and making sounds in the center seem a little compressed/squished).

Feb 15, 2017 at 10:32 PM Post #124 of 135
Could anyone suggest a short micro USB to micro USB to use with an Android phone. The current setup becomes too cumbersome.

Apr 18, 2017 at 3:31 AM Post #126 of 135
I have recently purchased the B&W P7 and am currently in love with it. I use it with my Alienware 15 R2 coupled with a FiiO A1. But, I heard from many reviews that the P7 fares well with different source and dac/amp combos. I would like to know what will be the best setup for me but within the $200 price.

May 27, 2017 at 6:47 PM Post #127 of 135
hi, I'm having trouble trying to get a good amp/dac, first i had the Q1, i was trying to use it with my fostex t50rp mk3 but it wasn't loud enough, so i wanted to get a better sound, my question is, should i get the amp/dac combo or should i get a separate amp and dac? because im on a budget but want to get the better deal, im between getting the fiio k1 as a dac for my computer and the A5 (E11k) as amplifier for my phone and computer whenever i need it, or should i just get the e17k? which one is better as an amplifier? thank you .

May 27, 2017 at 8:24 PM Post #128 of 135
What are you using as your source?
I have an iPhone 7 and use a Q1. At first I thought the Q1 did not have enough volume but then I realized the base setting for volume on my iPhone was set at 2 notches. When I set the iPhone 7 to a base volume of 50%, I can then use the volume dial on the Q1 to adjust to perfect level

Don't forget about the hi and lo gain switch too.

May 27, 2017 at 9:03 PM Post #129 of 135
What are you using as your source?
I have an iPhone 7 and use a Q1. At first I thought the Q1 did not have enough volume but then I realized the base setting for volume on my iPhone was set at 2 notches. When I set the iPhone 7 to a base volume of 50%, I can then use the volume dial on the Q1 to adjust to perfect level

Don't forget about the hi and lo gain switch too.
I'm using an iPhone 6S at 100% and I had the Q1's volume 100% on high gain, and it sounded good with the T5RP's but i wanted a little more for some songs. Im using spotify but i download the songs on high quality.
right now I'm having doubts about if i should buy DAC/amp combo or separately. I need a DAC for my computer since the aux output doesn't work.
my options since I'm in a budget are:
Fiio K1 + S.M.S.L. SAP-7.
Fiio K1 + Fiio A3 (E11K)
Fiio E17k.

the smsl sap 7 sound comes out very similar to the E11K, can barely tell the difference so pretty much i would go for the cheaper option there, but my doubt is when it comes to the E17k.
right now im using V-moda M100's which are easy to drive, but i want to get the T50RP's mk3. again in the future, but i want to have a powerful enough amp for those.
what do you think would be betteR? i returned the Q1 because it wasn't loud enough.

also if you know something better it would be awesome.

Last edited:
May 28, 2017 at 10:51 AM Post #130 of 135
I'm using an iPhone 6S at 100% and I had the Q1's volume 100% on high gain, and it sounded good with the T5RP's but i wanted a little more for some songs. Im using spotify but i download the songs on high quality.
right now I'm having doubts about if i should buy DAC/amp combo or separately. I need a DAC for my computer since the aux output doesn't work.
Fiio K1 + Fiio A3 (E11K)
Fiio E17k.

the smsl sap 7 sound comes out very similar to the E11K, can barely tell the difference so pretty much i would go for the cheaper option there, but my doubt is when it comes to the E17k.
right now im using V-moda M100's which are easy to drive, but i want to get the T50RP's mk3. again in the future, but i want to have a powerful enough amp for those.
what do you think would be betteR? i returned the Q1 because it wasn't loud enough.

Sorry I do not have answer for this. I do not have a hard to drive headphone so I can't give a proper response, I had an E17K and I know the amp is better but not sure it gets that much louder.

May 28, 2017 at 3:54 PM Post #131 of 135
Sorry I do not have answer for this. I do not have a hard to drive headphone so I can't give a proper response, I had an E17K and I know the amp is better but not sure it gets that much louder.
thanks for your help, i guess ill just take the risk and if it doesnt work ill just keed trying, thank you for your help though.

May 28, 2017 at 4:01 PM Post #132 of 135
thanks for your help, i guess ill just take the risk and if it doesnt work ill just keed trying, thank you for your help though.
I don't like music very loud and like the dial adjust that allows finer volume steps with the Q1

I never test very loud as I would not use that. Also my IEM are not "hard" to drive.

The E17K does have 3 gain settings. The max as I recall is a bit greater than the Q1. As I said I'm pretty sure the amp has a bit more power. You can check the specs at FiiO website here
http://m.fiio.net/en/products/44/comparisons

Try to by from a place Amazon where u can return it. Also battery like is about 50% than Q1

Jun 2, 2017 at 2:43 AM Post #133 of 135
Fiio K1 + Fiio A3 (E11K)
Fiio E17k.

If you can expand a lil bit of your budget, xduoo xd-05 is great for its price. It is quite bulky though for portable use but still serve its purpose for being portable. Great for both portable and desktop use. It sounds way better than e17k and can easily drive my hd6xx. I also compare it with my mojo. TBH, it surprised me on how well the xd05 compares to mojo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back