FiiO E17K Review
Feb 11, 2015 at 8:25 AM Post #31 of 135
Hey Nice review!!!

I am totally confused between E18 and E17k. My major concerns are
1. Soundstage and Imaging
2. Sound Clarity
3. Bass performance

I will be using it mostly with my laptop and occasional mobile use and I own a pair of M50x (saving for a dt 990).

Feb 14, 2015 at 9:32 PM Post #33 of 135
I need an opinion,should i buy the e17k to stack with my galaxy note 4 or I should buy an x1 and use it with my e11k???

= = = = =
I bought the E11K for my X3, primarily to improve the battery life. I also bought an extra E11K for my X1 for the same reason. The sound quality is definitely to my liking. Though on quiet listening - alone in my bedroom, the X3+E11K with my HD518, and setting to high gain when I feel like using my HD600 on this combo, sound a bit better.

But when I at work or simply being out of the house, when am using my "portables" like the SR225e, or my HD239  or my IEMs (Fidue A63 and Soundmagic E30), the X1+E11K is not a step down compared to the X3+E11K.

I am now waiting for the X3-II to hit this side of the planet. I plan to the get the E17K too out of curiosity :)

Feb 15, 2015 at 7:08 AM Post #37 of 135
  Purchased this to use as a portable DAC with my Galaxy Note 4 using USB OTG. Will only work for one song, then sound completely cuts out. Any suggestions?

Your USB OTG adapter cable is probably malfunctioning.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/747491/fiio-e17k-alpen-2-announced-23-12-2014/285#post_11324128

Feb 20, 2015 at 9:42 AM Post #38 of 135
= = = = =
I bought the E11K for my X3, primarily to improve the battery life. I also bought an extra E11K for my X1 for the same reason. The sound quality is definitely to my liking. Though on quiet listening - alone in my bedroom, the X3+E11K with my HD518, and setting to high gain when I feel like using my HD600 on this combo, sound a bit better.

But when I at work or simply being out of the house, when am using my "portables" like the SR225e, or my HD239  or my IEMs (Fidue A63 and Soundmagic E30), the X1+E11K is not a step down compared to the X3+E11K.

I am now waiting for the X3-II to hit this side of the planet. I plan to the get the E17K too out of curiosity :)

I guess I have to sacrifice and buy the k17k and the x1 or maybe x3 ii

Feb 21, 2015 at 10:09 AM Post #39 of 135
Sorry for the noob question. I am confused. What is the difference between fiio e10k and fiio e17k? both of them are dac/amp right? I have an ath m50x. Does buying fiio e17k will improve the performance of my headphones??

Feb 21, 2015 at 2:20 PM Post #40 of 135
Sorry for the noob question. I am confused. What is the difference between fiio e10k and fiio e17k? both of them are dac/amp right? I have an ath m50x. Does buying fiio e17k will improve the performance of my headphones??

The E10k is made for desktop use. It can't be used without a power source as it doesnt have one built in. 

E17K is portable and has more I/O features.

M50/x really doesb't need one of these

Feb 21, 2015 at 3:22 PM Post #41 of 135
How does this compare to the X3?
I have a friend that is looking at getting started in HiFi.
However, I am not sure what to recommend to him.
He has a lot of music on his computer, but moving them to a micro SD is not really a problem either.
So, the problem is not between choosing a portable setup with the X3 or a desktop setup with this new E17K.
Before I recommend anything to her, I am considering several variables:
Sound Quality, Versatility, Practicality (Ease of Use), and Build Quality.
I know that the X3 may be a little better in terms of versatility because it can be a DAC and a portable DAP.
However, the X3 is quite dated, and the E17k definitely wins in Build Quality.
Not sure what is easier to use. Neither are intuitive.
Sound quality is a big question. As the X3 is an old DAP, does the E17k surpass it in terms of SQ?
I know that the E17k has a higher S/N ratio.
The E17k may also have less noise and/or have a cleaner sound, but I'm not sure.
There's a lot that you can do with the E17k.
The X3 is also quite capable.
The two are very similar in price now with the X3's lower price.
Which one would be better and why?

Feb 21, 2015 at 3:23 PM Post #42 of 135
  How does this compare to the X3?
I have a friend that is looking at getting started in HiFi.
However, I am not sure what to recommend to him.
He has a lot of music on his computer, but moving them to a micro SD is not really a problem either.
So, the problem is not between choosing a portable setup with the X3 or a desktop setup with this new E17K.
Before I recommend anything to her, I am considering several variables:
Sound Quality, Versatility, Practicality (Ease of Use), and Build Quality.
I know that the X3 may be a little better in terms of versatility because it can be a DAC and a portable DAP.
However, the X3 is quite dated, and the E17k definitely wins in Build Quality.
Not sure what is easier to use. Neither are intuitive.
Sound quality is a big question. As the X3 is an old DAP, does the E17k surpass it in terms of SQ?
I know that the E17k has a higher S/N ratio.
The E17k may also have less noise and/or have a cleaner sound, but I'm not sure.
There's a lot that you can do with the E17k.
The X3 is also quite capable.
The two are very similar in price now with the X3's lower price.
Which one would be better and why?

What kind of headphones does he have. 

If he has an M50 or such, there is really no point to it. 

Feb 21, 2015 at 7:57 PM Post #43 of 135
  What kind of headphones does he have. 

If he has an M50 or such, there is really no point to it. 

She has a Grado SR225.
She's also thinking about getting a HiFiMAN HE-500 or HE-560 after hearing my HE-500.
I am asking about the X3 because you have a comparison with the X5 and a coming up comparison to the X1, but nothing coming up for the X3.
L3000.gif

Feb 21, 2015 at 8:45 PM Post #44 of 135
  She has a Grado SR225.
She's also thinking about getting a HiFiMAN HE-500 or HE-560 after hearing my HE-500.
I am asking about the X3 because you have a comparison with the X5 and a coming up comparison to the X1, but nothing coming up for the X3.
L3000.gif

She needs to first decide if she wants portable or desktop

the Hifimans will for the most part (or should be) worn inside and used with desktop rigs.

I would recommend looking at other companies like Aune, Schiit, Audinist, or JDS labs for some desktop rigs for her. 

Hifiman has their own $150 tube amp which is not bad. throw in something like the Stoner Udac or another of your choice and it could work well

Users who are viewing this thread

Back