Fiio E17k Alpen 2
Jan 1, 2016 at 8:59 PM Post #346 of 516
  Oh, thanks for answering, but I messed up my question.  I meant e7 not e9.  

Then the answer is a bit simpler - because digital volume control is disabled on the E7 in hardware, as FiiO wants user to use hardware volume control which offers better resolution. But due to popular demand, they allows for digital volume control on the model afterward.

Jan 2, 2016 at 10:02 AM Post #347 of 516
I got some problem here with the device recently. I am using E17K as USB DAC for my laptop and recently I got a rattling sounds (low volume rattling) but it is gone when I touch the device, comes and go. Also that sometimes it deliver a electric shock from the metal body and often heating. Any idea about this? 

Jan 7, 2016 at 8:57 AM Post #348 of 516
Question to Experts and Long Time User,

If I Keep USB Charge ON all the time during DAC usage via PC - Is it harmful for Battery ?

To my understanding isn't the battery charging function completely stooped when it reached to 100% - So it is safe ? Right ?

My PC DAC usage 90% Time and OTG Mobile DAC 10% Time.

Jan 7, 2016 at 9:00 AM Post #349 of 516
Question to Experts and Long Time User,

If I Keep USB Charge ON all the time during DAC usage via PC - Is it harmful for Battery ?

To my understanding isn't the battery charge is OFF when it reached to 100% - So it is safe ? Right ?

My PC DAC usage 90% Time and OTG Mobile DAC 10% Time.

My advice.... Stop worrying about battery life. Sooner or later it gonna die anyway and before it happen you might longing to buy E24k

Jan 10, 2016 at 2:55 AM Post #351 of 516
Will you guys think this AMP/DAC will drive good enough my HE400i, i'm using a Mac as a main Source. I read this headphones are hard to drive at low impedance and are very current hunger. My other option is to get the E12 that is more powerfull or maybe the Objective 2 and ditch the  DAC from now.

Jan 10, 2016 at 9:52 PM Post #352 of 516
  Will you guys think this AMP/DAC will drive good enough my HE400i, i'm using a Mac as a main Source. I read this headphones are hard to drive at low impedance and are very current hunger. My other option is to get the E12 that is more powerfull or maybe the Objective 2 and ditch the  DAC from now.

35 ohm can be handle quite easily by this AMP/DAC - No Problem.

Jan 15, 2016 at 9:56 PM Post #353 of 516
E17K review posted  - http://www.head-fi.org/products/fiio-e17k-alpen-2-usb-dac-headphone-amplifier/reviews/15014

Jan 24, 2016 at 1:25 AM Post #355 of 516
HELP

Can they be used with an iPhone or iPad with lightning port

Yes.....

I have iPad 4 (64GB) Wi-Fi version and I use Apple 'Lightning To USB Camera Adapter' cable Model no :- MD821ZM/A to connect the E17k as USB OTG DAC.

I Don't own any other iDevice at the moment so can't comment on those, but I read after iOS 9 implementation all iOS device compatible with this cable....so theoretically this cable work with iPhone/iPod too - But check before order or wait someone can confirm.   

Jan 24, 2016 at 3:37 AM Post #356 of 516
HELP

Can they be used with an iPhone or iPad with lightning port

Through Ligtning Port? I'm not sure with that (since I don't use Iphone).
You need to check with @JamesFiiO for that. Normally if you can find specific cable from FiiO which convert usb mini to lightning, I think it might work. 
Even if it doesn't work, you can always use it as an amp.

Jan 27, 2016 at 11:33 PM Post #359 of 516
I got this dac/amp and am using it with Sennheiser 558's. I don't hear any difference using it on either my Macbook Pro (2015) or my Mac Pro (2014), with Audirvana playing uncompressed aiff files. (Well-recorded classical music.) 

I realize that the 558s are considered easy to drive, so this is a comment more about the dac quality compared to top of line Apple products.

My normal stereo is somewhat audiophile (Audio-gd electronics, open baffle speakers), and have many years of audiophile tweaking experience.

Just posting this for others who may be considering this Fiio unit. 

Mar 10, 2016 at 3:21 PM Post #360 of 516
So I thought I was ordering the alpen 1 for my DT990 Pros(250ohm) and what i actially received was the alpen 2(the website has alpen1 pictures, alpen1 specs and nowhere do they write alpen2).
Anyway, since the alpen2s seem to go only up to 150 ohm opposed to the alpen1 300ohms what do you guys think i should do, send it back immediately and look for something else or stick with the alpen2? Im kinda scared to even turn them on, maybe they wont accept it back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back