Fiio E17k Alpen 2
Jan 13, 2015 at 8:58 PM Post #182 of 516
"..."
bowei006 said: "ASIO were really only useful for a time when computers had low resources. And thus exclusive programs used it to give the program the audio quality that it was designed to."

This is all wrong. ASIO has nothing to do with audio quality. I produce music on computer, and ASIO is for low-latency real-time playback of audio so that we can monitor our plugins and software synths etc in real-time. Without real-time playback it would be nearly impossible to make music on a computer. There is no built-in audio driver included with any Microsoft OS that allows us to do this, only ASIO (Application Specific In/Out) can provide this. "WASAPI" cannot achieve satisfactory results, neither can "Direct-sound".
Apple has built-in the equivalent to ASIO inside every Mac computer, on-par with ASIO performance, it is called Core-Audio, so there is no need for a specific external audio-interface with ASIO drivers when making music on a Mac.

ASIO is a software 'driver' independent of computer resources like CPU or RAM; ASIO interacts with the Windows OS deep down for efficient audio streaming of DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) software devices etc. You could get basic satisfactory performance from WASAPI or Direct-Sound initially in a song project, but it wont be long before the audio streaming becomes bogged-down and demands from DAW plugins start mounting, so only ASIO can cope with this high-load situation to provide 'low-latency' realtime audio playback. High bitrate etc is dictated by the software device, not by the audio drivers. For example, i use iTunes on my Microsoft computer (i don't bother with Windows media Player) for the playback needs of my music collection, and iTunes allows me to choose different bitrates etc for how the song will be played back to the external audio device. Obviously the external audio card will have to have a 24bit DAC and be capable of accommodating 96khz or whatever to derive the benefit from the signal being sent to it from the software.
"..."

Well ASIO has something to do with audio quality when using computers. When you run a program on ASIO mode the selected output cannot receive data(sound) from any other program so the DAC/Soundcard will receive exactly the audio as the program using ASIO send. The problem with audio without ASIO on windows is that when you use Direct Sound every sound produced by any program must pass through windows processing for mixing the various audio sources into only one stream to be sent to the DAC/Soundcard and windows processing is not the best. So you won't have your music bit-perfect (exactly the same as your source) anymore.

Jan 13, 2015 at 9:29 PM Post #185 of 516
Ok. Because some DACs from USB OTG only work with UAPP and not with system audio.

I understand.

I was able to get plug and play from the E17K

I mearley plugged it in with CHG OFF and got it to play anything system audio could play without doing any settings changes. 

The first time I plugged it in, it didn't work. But a disconnect and replug did.

Youtube and built in music player apps all produced audio through E17K

Jan 14, 2015 at 2:56 PM Post #191 of 516
  Hey, guys!
What do you think will sound better: e17k or x3k as usb dac?
And how can i listen dsd on linux?

Good question, haven't tested it out yet. I will in the future

And as for Linux. You tell me. The thing with running Linux is that you have to be prepared to not get any support, AND be prepared to either do it yourself or find ways to learn how to get quasi support for things. 

Jan 14, 2015 at 10:36 PM Post #192 of 516
Bowei006 what are ur impressions of the E17k? Any comparison to the new iBasso D-Zero MK2?

Jan 14, 2015 at 10:46 PM Post #193 of 516
Bowei006 what are ur impressions of the E17k? Any comparison to the new iBasso D-Zero MK2?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/750264/fiio-e17k-review

Snap Crackle Pop 
bigsmile_face.gif

Nope. I don't have any iBassos or used any of them. 

Jan 15, 2015 at 2:13 PM Post #194 of 516

E17k can drive the HD600 fine. The HD600 may be high impedance but it's also high sensitivity. Only requires 0.17mW to reach 90dB SPL. E17 can get the HD600 very loud.

I just received my E17K. Compared to my E17/E09K, the E17K is week for driving the HD600's. VERY poor bass response even with the gain set at 12. Similar to the E17, which is why I ended up with an E09K. With my HD598s (very easy to drive and I only use the E17 without the E09K dock), I prefer the sound of the E17K, but not enough to keep both the E17/E09K combo and the E17K. Until the E09S comes out, I'm going to stick with my original setup and return the E17K.

I'm disappointed that the E09S wasn't released simultaneously. Oh well...

PS >> For what it's worth, I also do not like the microUSB port on the E17K. There are no microUSB-A to microUSB-B OTG cables on the market yet. Even so, the cable would be unidirectional -- don't connect it backwards! Why not stick with a miniUSB jack per the USB OTG spec???

PSS >> Testing with my GS5, I had to use a micro-to-USB-A (female) adapter and use the stock USB cable that came with the E17K. Even with that, every time I changed tracks I had to unplug and replug in the USB cable for audio to work. Tested on two difference GS5's, same issue. I do not have this issue with my E17. I could diagnose the issue with FIIO support, but it's going back regardless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back