Fiio E17k Alpen 2
Jan 22, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #215 of 516

There is some mixed feelings about this E17K. Quick question line In If I use the line in will the dac and amplifier work or will only amp work.

There is a line-in and line-out on the E17K. If you use the line-in the DAC will not have any part in processing the signal. Only when you use the USB cable the DAC plays it's part.

Friendly caution. The E17K is not very good IMO. I own it and use it for now. The Amp has enough power, yes, and the E17K does serve its intended function properly, yes, but the DAC is lacking in some respects, it makes the sound too warm, and it also lacks 'air' and absolute treble clarity in the top-end. It is not an entirely accurate DAC. Actually, both the E17K and FiiO X3 are put to shame by Apple's humble iPod Nano, that is the truth my friend. I've done the side-by-side tests. The FiiO X3 is woeful, it's terrible!

Actually, it's quite funny how FiiO seem incapable of providing a 'neutral' DAC/Amp combo whether the E17K or the E18 or the FiiO DAPs. I also own the FiiO E11 and E12 Amp.

This is all very concerning. I will never buy a FiiO product again until they prove competent. The X1 and X3 and X5 all have quirkiness in their sonic character ranging from mild to shocking, and yet Apple can put an absolute dead-accurate DAC in the humble iPod, so you tell me.

There are many American companies manufacturing 'neutral' sounding DACs, so i have to ask why the heck FiiO seem incapable of availing themselves of these clean American DACs. True story!

Jan 22, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #216 of 516
There is a line-in and line-out on the E17K. If you use the line-in the DAC will not have any part in processing the signal. Only when you use the USB cable the DAC plays it's part.

Friendly caution. The E17K is not very good IMO. I own it and use it for now. The Amp has enough power, yes, and the E17K does serve its intended function properly, but the DAC is low-grade, it makes the sound too warm, and also it lacks 'air and treble clarity in the top-end. It is not an accurate DAC. Actually, both the E17K and FiiO X3 are put to shame by Apple's humble iPod Nano, that is the truth my friend. I've done the side-by-side tests. The FiiO X3 is woeful, it's terrible!

Actually, it's quite funny how FiiO seem incapable of providing a 'neutral' DAC/Amp combo whether the E17K or the E18 or the FiiO DAPs. I also own the FiiO E11 and E12 Amp.
This is all very concerning. I will never buy a FiiO product again until they prove competent. The X1 and X3 and X5 all have quirkiness in their sonic character ranging from mild to shocking, and yet Apple can put an absolute dead-accurate DAC in the humble iPod, so you tell me.
There are many American companies manufacturing 'neutral' sounding DACs, so i have to ask why the heck FiiO seem incapable of availing themselves of these clean American DACs. True story!

okay do you want to sell your E17k because I want to review this unit I put it up on my YouTube channel and FiiO won't sent me a review unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back