Fiio E17k Alpen 2
Jan 10, 2015 at 9:35 AM Post #121 of 516
James, a doubt, E17 and E07K also consume this current? E17K can turn off USB charging?

e17 consume more current than e07k and e17k. and e17k can turn off USB charging.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jan 10, 2015 at 10:23 AM Post #122 of 516
About the compatible of smartphone and extra DAC , it depended on two thing, 

1, the max output current of the Android Phone. mark as I1

2, the consume current of extra DAC from USB port.  mark as I2

If the I2 is less than I1, so there should have not problem to usd the DAC with the phone. 

Depended on our research, there are some Android Phone can output 500mA current in OTG mode. which is big enough for even our x3/x5, and E17.

but some Android phone can only output only 200-300mA current in OTG mode.

here is the consume current of some of our products.

x3/x5/e17 , about 400mA

e07k/e17k, less than 100mA

e18, less than 50mA.

So, The E17K should have not problem to work as extra DAC for most Android phone if it supports USB digital out. 

The reason why we have not list the USB DAC features for E17K, is there are lots of Android phone can't supports USB digital out , so it took us a lots of resource to explain why E18 can't work with some Android phone. 

I hope you guys can understand not everyone know the reason and we don't want to get trouble about this issues.

Many, many thanks for the clarification, I understand much better now. Since my Moto G worked with the E07K and E17 via OTG, there will be no problem with the E17K. Thanks again!

Jan 10, 2015 at 3:17 PM Post #123 of 516
Anybody else listened to the E17K ? Any reviews or comparisons to E17 and E18?. Does it worth the lack of Optical in?

Also I would like to ask if E17K works like plug and play USB on the PC without drivers..... Windows 7 and XP.

Jan 10, 2015 at 5:44 PM Post #125 of 516
I see you have an X5 and a DX 90 also, which do you like best? What do you use the E17 for? I'm planning on getting the DX 90 very soon.

They both have there pro's and con's! I would not sell either one at this point. I really like my X5 with my HE400i headphones while the DX90 shines with my VMODA M100s and my GR07be. I see you are in MN as well, what city?

Jan 10, 2015 at 6:20 PM Post #126 of 516

Guys I am wondering what to buy. E17s are still selling. Without optical i am afraid that noise will leak to my cans... . Any side by side comparison among E17, E17k and E18 available? Chipsets etc. Will i will benefit from the USB upgrades of the E17k ? I mostly play Mp3s and .flac

Forget the old E17, FiiO has moved on, we've all moved on, i've moved on, the world has moved on, the E17 is history. I can say to you that noise on the new E17K is not an issue without optical! Actually, there is no noise, this thing is dead silent!

If you don't need optical for specialized reasons and/or alternative purposes, then i say get the new E17K, you will not regret it, i've done the tests, the new E17K is much better than both the older E17 and even the E12 Mont Blanc, and from what i hear going by the reviews of the new E18, the E17K is also better than the E18.

If you hear what this E17K does you will not be sorry, i promise you, it's off the charts good, real good, damn good, f_cking good! It's that good!!! Are you hearing me? No joke bro, just buy it and smile with bliss. But really i hope you have the right headphones, the best amp in the world wont do any good without a pair of headphones to do it justice. Just remember to turn the gain on the E17K to 12.

I can tell you my setup if you want me to, the sound is so close to perfection it's ridiculous, but only because i have superbly accurate headphones.

I have not heard the E18 myself, but going by the 'pro' reviews it is a bit of a let-down. And going by what i hear from the E17K you can't go wrong, I AM NOT JOKING, I AM DEADLY SERIOUS, THIS THING IS THE BIZZ!

And yes, to answer your question, the E17K is plug and play, i just did it now for you to confirm; plugged the USB cable into the computer, just like any USB stick, drivers loaded automatically, just like any USB stick, and bang, we're in business; insane audio quality, i'm not joking man, insane!

Up till now, i've been using the E17K only with the line-in, sending the audio from my smartphone, thus the E17K was amping the DAC and Amp flavours from my smartphone, and yet it still sounds great, but hearing it from the computer is better again, i promise, because the computer is sending the audio out 'digitally' and the DAC on the E17K is converting it, and then amping it, and wow! The DAC on this thing is in the major league! If your budget conscious i would say forget the E18, the E17K is the real deal. I simply cannot overstate how good the E17K is. Dual role, multiple purpose, and pumping audiophile candy direct into your ears.

If that hasn't convinced you, then sorry bro, nothing more i can say.

Note, the only thing is, when i took the E17K out of the box for the very first time, it needed roughly an hour of playing to break it in, if you dig me; don't know why, but yeah, one hour just to get it churning over and settled in after the very first switch-on, then bang!

You want me to describe the performance? Just for your sake...

1: Very clean
2: Beautiful transparent midrange
3: Accurate treble all the way
4: Nice tight bass without adding or taking away from song
5: Lovely wide soundstage
6: Excellent detail and instrument separation throughout
7: Neutral and accurate right across the audio spectrum

Feel me?

Hope that helps.

James, if you're reading this, please answer me two questions.

1: If we switch off USB charging in the E17K, does that mean it will still function normally but wont draw power from the music player when we attempt OTG, or does the E17K always need to draw power?

2: When we use the E17K with the computer, are ASIO drivers automatically installed, or do we need to download those separately? Cheers.

Jan 10, 2015 at 8:48 PM Post #128 of 516
http://www.head-fi.org/t/750264/fiio-e17k-review

My review of it is out

Ok lets call it a first impressions. There are a few parts where I still need to flesh out but it will be edited more once I get home from vacation 
bigsmile_face.gif

It has impressions to most of FiiOs current devices in it for you guys (half are done and up, other half aren't)

Jan 10, 2015 at 8:53 PM Post #129 of 516
http://www.head-fi.org/t/750264/fiio-e17k-review

My review of it is out

Ok lets call it a first impressions. There are a few parts where I still need to flesh out but it will be edited more once I get home from vacation :bigsmile_face:

It has impressions to most of FiiOs current devices in it for you guys (half are done and up, other half aren't)

I've been waiting to here your thoughts Panda, what took so long.

Jan 10, 2015 at 9:07 PM Post #130 of 516
I've been waiting to here your thoughts Panda, what took so long.

I'm on vacation 
tongue.gif

And its also the reason why all the pictures in the review are from FiiO. Because I don't have the ability to take any real photos at the moment 
bigsmile_face.gif
 Whatever though, FiiO's photographers take better pics than I could ever.

I'm going to be editing it more and give some more active opinionated conclusions to the sections rather than a 'here's a problem' or 'here's a good thing'. 

More comparisons to come as well 
deadhorse.gif

Jan 10, 2015 at 11:16 PM Post #134 of 516
Does it work on Galaxy note 2 or other smartphone? I ordered fiio e18 couple of days before. Should I cancel my order and order ALPEN 2-E17K? Please help

Your phone needs to have USB OTG capabilities. The Note 2 should have OTG capabilities on the hardware and software level.

The E17K2 has been confirmed to work with my Android smartphone with a USB OTG cable (bought seperately). 

USB CHG has to be set to OFF on the E17K.

I have tested and found that even with USB CHG set to on that it will work. HOWEVER, there is noise and slight distortion when USB CHG is turned on while in conjunction with my Android device

And yes, EQ on E17K will still work when you use it with an Android device. 

My comparison of the E17K and E18 is in the review above

Jan 10, 2015 at 11:56 PM Post #135 of 516
Your phone needs to have USB OTG capabilities. The Note 2 should have OTG capabilities on the hardware and software level.

The E17K2 has been [COLOR=FF0000]confirmed[/COLOR] to work with my Android smartphone with a USB OTG cable (bought seperately). 

USB CHG has to be set to OFF on the E17K.

I have tested and found that even with USB CHG set to on that it will work. HOWEVER, there is noise and slight distortion when USB CHG is turned on while in conjunction with my Android device

And yes, EQ on E17K will still work when you use it with an Android device. 

My comparison of the E17K and E18 is in the review above
Thank you for reply and advise. Sorry As I mentioned earlier I'm not very tech friendly. Please could you tell me which one should I buy e18 or Alpen 2 ek17??? What would be your choice if you've to pick one? I read your review but I can't decide. Your input will be helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back