Fiio E17k Alpen 2
Jan 11, 2015 at 12:01 AM Post #136 of 516
Thank you for reply and advise. Sorry As I mentioned earlier I'm not very tech friendly. Please could you tell me which one should I buy e18 or Alpen 2 ek17??? What would be your choice if you've to pick one? I read your review but I can't decide. Your input will be helpful.

I personally prefer the E17K

But there are lots of issues to consider my friend. The sonic comparison is in the review. While the E18 has a more neutral sound, it has a slight sonic deficency that I do not like whilst the E17K is a bit too colored.

The E18 has a form factor and feature set that makes it designed for Android devices namely it being officially Android device supported unlike the unofficial support on the E17K. The flat style of the E18 with volume control buttons and analog potentiometer also make it a breeze to use when strapped to a fun.

The E17K however is much more clucky when you attempt to strap it to the phone as it isn't as flat as the E18. The E17K has a side volume control, and guess what, its NOT as thick as most Android devices. Guess what this means? Volume control is much harder. When strapped to the back of an Android device with the screen facing outwards (so you can see it). You can only use your left hand to change volume when holding the 'brick'. To change it with your right hand. You need to flex your hand to change from phone holding position to a different style to get to the volume control on E17K 

I prefer the E17K as a device, but its design makes it a bit...more troublesome to use with Android devices when strapped as a combo device. I dig its sound a bit more though.

Do a bit of imagination of what I said and see what fits you more. 

Jan 11, 2015 at 12:24 AM Post #137 of 516
I personally prefer the E17K

But there are lots of issues to consider my friend. The sonic comparison is in the review. While the E18 has a more neutral sound, it has a slight sonic deficency that I do not like whilst the E17K is a bit too colored.

The E18 has a form factor and feature set that makes it designed for Android devices namely it being officially Android device supported unlike the unofficial support on the E17K. The flat style of the E18 with volume control buttons and analog potentiometer also make it a breeze to use when strapped to a fun.

The E17K however is much more clucky when you attempt to strap it to the phone as it isn't as flat as the E18. The E17K has a side volume control, and guess what, its NOT as thick as most Android devices. Guess what this means? Volume control is much harder. When strapped to the back of an Android device with the screen facing outwards (so you can see it). You can only use your left hand to change volume when holding the 'brick'. To change it with your right hand. You need to flex your hand to change from phone holding position to a different style to get to the volume control on E17K 

I prefer the E17K as a device, but its design makes it a bit...more troublesome to use with Android devices when strapped as a combo device. I dig its sound a bit more though.

Do a bit of imagination of what I said and see what fits you more. 
Thank you for summarizing very nicely. I think I'll stick to Fiio E18 considering followings:

-Official android supported device
(e17 alpen isn't confirmed fully)
-Most probably my new smartphone within two months will be android (windows a possibility)
-Usability
-I believe sound quality would not be that low or degraded compare to alpen e17
-durability (sturdiness)

Please correct me if I'm wrong somewhere. Thank you again for your help. Appreciate...

Jan 11, 2015 at 12:33 AM Post #138 of 516
Thank you for summarizing very nicely. I think I'll stick to Fiio E18 considering followings:

-Official android supported device
(e17 alpen isn't confirmed fully)
-Most probably my new smartphone within two months will be smartphone will be android (windows a possibility)
-Usability
-I believe sound quality would be that low or degraded compare to alpen e17
-durability (sturdiness)

Please correct me if I'm wrong somewhere. Thank you again for your help. Appreciate...

Devices that aren't fully built for Android may have sonic deficencies due to power draw (even in low amounts).

The E17K does work with Android, don't get me wrong. I'm just putting the argument down that people sometimes want to go the safe route. The e17K has sonic defecencies when it has charge on as an Android DAC. It still draws power in some ways from the host device which I believe the E18 doesn't. 

Audio purists probably will sleep better at night knowing something is fully supported and wont have 'possible' defeficncies in audio during usage.

The E18 has comparable build durability to the E17K. Both have their one fault. The E18 being the plastic front and back bezel on the command center up top and the E17Ks volume control mechanism being plastic. 

If you are in USA...you could potentially just get both and test em out

Jan 11, 2015 at 1:04 AM Post #139 of 516
I must say here... without exclusively using the onboard DAC and without neutral-sounding high-grade headphones it's simply futile really to analyze the character of a DAC/Amp, so i would caution anyone to at least make sure they're streaming through the onboard DAC of the E17K before making any definite conclusions, especially because i noticed a significant difference between using my player's DAC and using the onboard DAC of the E17K. It turns out the onboard DAC is the only way to go, truly.
My honest hearing appraisal is that this is the least coloured DAC i've ever heard, the E17K is neutral, yes neutral when using the onboard DAC, FiiO definitely chose the right one, and remember it's a new generation DAC, i surmise that any color will come from the headphones, not the E17K! If you read the pro reviews (What HiFi etc) of the E18, it's not looking too good, but i can definitely say the E17K is everything an AMP/DAC should be, clean and neutral with much detail and great with transient timing and displaying the audio dynamics. I'll be keeping this thing for a very long time, far better than the E11 and the E12 for sure, and that's saying something. Sorry to repeat, but you will only hear the E17's true calibre when using the onboard DAC, the DAC on this thing is far better than any smartphone or iPod, i can say that much, the difference is noticeable; for example, the bass displays much better, nice and tight and dead-on accurate and not unsure of itself compared to the smartphone or iPod DAC.
Point to remember, the E17K drawing current through the USB does not interfere with it's performance, and just be sure to turn-off "usb charging" when using it. Cheers.

Jan 11, 2015 at 1:40 AM Post #140 of 516
I must say here... without exclusive use of the onboard DAC and without neutral-sounding high-grade headphones it's simply futile really to analyze the character of a DAC/Amp, so i would caution anyone to at least make sure they're streaming through the onboard DAC of the E17K before making any definite conclusions, especially because i noticed a significant difference between using my player's DAC and using the onboard DAC. It turns out the onboard DAC is the only way to go, truly.
My honest heary appraisal is that this is the least coloured DAC i've ever heard, thisE17K is neutral, yes neutral, i surmise that any color will come from the headphones.

Most people that buy tech products such as a DAC have the ability to recognize they are using USB connection (and thus the DAC on the E17K).

What amp did you A/B with the E17K to seperate out the E17Ks amp from the equation?

Jan 11, 2015 at 1:46 AM Post #141 of 516
I must say here... without exclusively using the onboard DAC and without neutral-sounding high-grade headphones it's simply futile really to analyze the character of a DAC/Amp, so i would caution anyone to at least make sure they're streaming through the onboard DAC of the E17K before making any definite conclusions, especially because i noticed a significant difference between using my player's DAC and using the onboard DAC of the E17K. It turns out the onboard DAC is the only way to go, truly.
My honest hearing appraisal is that this is the least coloured DAC i've ever heard, the E17K is neutral, yes neutral when using the onboard DAC, FiiO definitely chose the right one, and remember it's a new generation DAC, i surmise that any color will come from the headphones, not the E17K! If you read the pro reviews (What HiFi etc) of the E18, it's not looking too good, but i can definitely say the E17K is everything an AMP/DAC should be, clean and neutral with much detail and great with transient timing and displaying the audio dynamics. I'll be keeping this thing for a very long time, far better than the E11 and the E12 for sure, and that's saying something. Sorry to repeat, but you will only hear the E17's true calibre when using the onboard DAC, the DAC on this thing is far better than any smartphone or iPod, i can say that much, the difference is noticeable; for example, the bass displays much better, nice and tight and dead-on accurate and not unsure of itself compared to the smartphone or iPod DAC.
Point to remember, the E17K drawing current through the USB does not interfere with it's performance, and just be sure to turn-off "usb charging" when using it. Cheers.

Also, what headphones/IEMs do you use with the E17K?

Jan 11, 2015 at 2:16 AM Post #143 of 516

Didn't the E17 also have a USB charge/no-charge setting?  If my memory is correct - which it may not be - I thought I had saw such a setting when my acquantaince was showing me his E17 before.

It did.

Maybe he means that the E17K, with USB CHG turned off draws absolutely no power at all. I believe the E17, still drew regular amounts of power even with CHG off (but not as much as with CHG on which is standard for devices)

Anyway, good news as I was able to use E17K as DAC on Android device immediately without issue. 

Jan 11, 2015 at 5:51 AM Post #144 of 516
Most people that buy tech products such as a DAC have the ability to recognize they are using USB connection (and thus the DAC on the E17K).

What amp did you A/B with the E17K to seperate out the E17Ks amp from the equation?

Good point, but for some reason i had the impression that some of these guys in here were possibly novices or newbies to the scene, so i was just trying to be helpful, and i thought i would emphasize this point just to be clear.

As far as the amping, i don't fully understand the exact context of your question. Nonetheless, as you would know, each Amp will perform differently and display different characteristics, right? So, i think it's a matter of just comparing the different amps and doing an A/B test between them all, but then that also involves the DAC from the source player, so there's too many variables involved to give a straight answer to your question.

1: Playing the music straight from my Android smartphone... slightly above average and a bit disparate with treble harshness .
2: Playing the music straight from my Android smartphone and connected to the FiiO E12 Mont Blanc... slightly better, but still a bit messy.
3: Playing the music from the stereo line-out on my computer... very good, but not quite in audiophile territory.
4: Playing the music straight from my iPod nano 7th generation, phenomenal and in audiophile territory.
5: Playing the music straight from my iPod nano 7th generation (through the iPod's DAC/Amp) and into the line-in on the E17K... excellent, but just short of audiophile territory.
5: Playing the music from the computer utilizing only the E17K DAC and Amp... overly warm, and slightly lacking air and treble clarity in the top-end !

leobigfield asked: "Also, what headphones/IEMs do you use with the E17K?"

Yamaha MT220! Extremely accurate monitoring headphones, and every review from every pro concurs right across the board. Not one pro reviewer has a bad thing to say about them, quite the contrary, the praise for them is unanimous; quite an achievement from Yamaha, and even hardcore hold-outs are on the bandwagon now.

I have a confession to make. the review from bowei006' of the E17K was bang-on! He got it totally right, every aspect of his review was correct. Obviously he also has 'accurate' headphones.

I got my initial impressions wrong yesterday, i had done so much listening yesterday when doing comparisons that my ears got fatigued and i lost perspective.

So now i must say, this modern day phenomena of companies choosing DACs that render warm sound is quite disappointing, and why do i say this? Because for starters, i think these DAC makers and DAP manufacturers are being assumptious, and imposing their own ideals as a compensatory measure, it may be well-intentioned, but IMO it's misguided.

It is assumptious in the sense they appear to be assuming that everyone is listening to MP3 and AAC files that have had the guts ripped out of them, and consequently sound quite sterile, cold and harsh as a result, and also they must be thinking that digital music today is seen as being cold.
However, i must say that this is faulty thinking on the part of the DAC makers and DAP manufacturers. The warmth in these DACs is 'too much', and the extra warmth actually becomes sickening, i find it very hard to listen to music that has been embeud with artificial warmth and i really can't stand it, it is quite displeasing, i find it becomes intolerable to me, and my ears don't like it at all.

Firstly, it alters the original source material, and therefore by default such DAC attributes deviate from the music producers actual intentions for the finished tone of the song. Many songs are delicately mixed and mastered for a very exacting result, even digital music still has its own sound signature that the producer and mastering engineer have already settled on, whether the end-result might be deemed cold or not is not the point, because the end-result is exactly the tonal and frequency balance that the producer and mastering engineer settled on, and therefore it shouldn't be changed one iota. Digital music might be more bland than 60s and 70s and 80s music, but that doesn't mean it is horrible, it is just different, but it still sounds nice. There is no need to then go and make a digital song 'artificially' warm, because it just sounds wrong, wrong, wrong.
Secondly, songs from the 60s, 70s and 80s are already warm sounding to a very nice degree, due to the harmonic artifacts of using analog gear, but also due to tape saturation, but the end-result of music from that era is marvelous, but to then embellish a naturally warm-sounding song with even more artificial warmth is just disastrous. If we see that these warm DACs are ruining so-called cold digital music, then how much more the music that is already warm? This is a disastrous state of affairs, and that's exactly my mental and emotional reaction when listening to music decoded by these warm DACs, feel me? I say again, i find it intolerable and quite sickening, truly, not as a reaction, but my ears don't like it in the least.

The warmth from the E17K i find totally unacceptable, this is a warm sounding DAC/AMP for sure, and it's terrible! I can't listen to it, i want to enjoy it, but my senses are cringing and their is a frown on my face despite the fact i want to accept it, but i can't, my ears don't like it.

So, with the well-known flaws of the FiiO E11 and E12 and now the E17K, IMO FiiO needs to go back to the drawing board and start again. Neutrality should be the order of the day, fidelity to the original source material, and accurate conversion of the signal.

Also the X1 is a disaster, and the X3 is not much better, in fact, it's worse than the X1, and the X5 has some known flaws in its overall rendering capability, so where does that leave me with FiiO, well i've come to the conclusion that i wont be buying their products again until they change their game-plan.
FiiO, if you're listening, go for DACs that are known to have a 'neutral' sound, this is the only way to go.

Is there any good news to all of this? Well yes, but not what you might expect. I've done the test right now with fresh ears, direct A/B testing, and wow, i can't believe it. I plugged in my new iPod Nano which i just bought yesterday, and either i'm on drugs or asleep and dreaming, or Apple has done the job with aplomb. The iPod Nano from the line-out directly into my headphones is nigh-on perfect!! I'm not joking guys, Apple have clearly done their home work. It's amazing how this tiny iPod Nano can drive full-sized headphones with punch and power, but it is. The difference was immediately apparent. very similar to the E17K but without the anomalies of the E17K. The treble was dead-on accurate, the air and clarity was back in the top-end, the bass was deep and punchy without the slight boominess of the E17, and the midrange clarity and transparency was remarkable. The soundstage, absolutely perfect and totally realistic, not too wide and not narrow in any way, simply accurate! And then the detail retrieval, quite scary! And the imaging, fantastic! Also, the dynamics and transient response of the music were all fast and well-timed, no lag here folks. I simply cannot fault it.

Songs i am utterly acquainted and know better than the back of my hand are displayed absolutely dead-on accurate. And i can only put the iPod nano volume at 75%, otherwise it's too loud and hurts my ears, and yet i like loud sound, so that tells you they have plenty of drive under the covers, the iPod nano is driving my pro headphones with aplomb, the Yamaha MT220 - 37ohms. I'm astonished but ecstatic and yes i've double-checked, i'm not dreaming. Who would have thought? The iPod Nano IMO sh_ts all over my three FiiO amps, sorry, but i have the proof right here in front of me.

Is there anything else that bodes well from this new iPod Nano revelation and performance? Well yes there is...

1: Gone is all the hassle and bulk and weight and irksome inconvenience having to carry the amp/dac paired to a smartphone.
2: Excellent battery - 30 hours playback time
3: Weighs only 31gms
4: Unlike Android Smartphones it plays Apple lossless Audio Codec as well as WAV etc
5: Can accept 24bit 48khz files

Is there anything else i can say that might qualify my new findings for those who are curious, well yes i think there is... we know Apple doesn't do things in halves, we know they are perfectionists, we know their engineers are meticulous and aim for the highest standards of functionality, and we know the iPod Nano is the most ubiquitous music player on the planet AND IN ITS 7th GENERATION, so Apple is only interested in making sure these players perform. If we look at the extent to which Apple went to redesign its ear buds, here's the spiel from their website...
"Apple designers and engineers had the goal of creating earbuds that rest and stay comfortably inside a variety of ear types — while also producing the best sound quality possible. They tested 124 different prototypes on over 600 people. The result is a breakthrough for earbud headphones. They’re called EarPods. They look unlike anything you’ve ever seen. They sound unlike any earbuds you’ve ever heard. And the audio quality is so superior, they rival high-end headphones."

Therefore, we know it is safe to assume that if Apple went to this much trouble to create their earbuds, it would be safe to assume that they put just as much expertise and time into designing/choosing the DAC and Amp section, and the results bear that out, i am happy to report that the results are spectacular!! They went for accuracy, NOT WARMTH, and i believe folks they have succeeded!

It looks like good things really do come to those who wait.

Does all this all mean that i will forsake all other DAPs, maybe not! It just means for now i can relax and enjoy, and all the frantic hunting for DAPs and DAC/AMPs etc can be well and truly put on hold, maybe even permanently; i have found what i deem 99% audiophile audio performance and great listening pleasure in a very convenient and portable fuss-free package. But, i am still interested in the iBasso DX90 if it can function as a portable DAC/AMP, and because i am a music producer the iBasso will accomodate storage and play-back of my songs produced and mastered as 24bit 96khz audio files, nice! And also the IBasso DAP has a user replaceable battery.

Sorry to all the guys for my previous hasty posts about the performance of the E17K, what can i say, i messed-up. Cheers.

Jan 11, 2015 at 9:14 AM Post #145 of 516
Devices that aren't fully built for Android may have sonic deficencies due to power draw (even in low amounts).

The E17K does work with Android, don't get me wrong. I'm just putting the argument down that people sometimes want to go the safe route. The e17K has sonic defecencies when it has charge on as an Android DAC. It still draws power in some ways from the host device which I believe the E18 doesn't. 

Audio purists probably will sleep better at night knowing something is fully supported and wont have 'possible' defeficncies in audio during usage.

The E18 has comparable build durability to the E17K. Both have their one fault. The E18 being the plastic front and back bezel on the command center up top and the E17Ks volume control mechanism being plastic. 

If you are in USA...you could potentially just get both and test em out
Yup you're right both has pros and cons... I'm taking fiio e18 route because it works with galaxy note 2 and other android device and I don't need to worry about compatibility.

Let's compare sound quality of e18 and alpen e17 only.... who will win the battle?

P s. I live in Canada, it sucks sometime it's hard to get all these products. I called many authorised FIIO retailers and they don't carry it. I also requested them I can pay in advance and you can order it for me. They denied it. Finally found one seller on AMAZON.CA cost me $225, placed order week before and he hasn't shipped it yet. I'm thinking of canceling order if Alpen e17 is better than e18

Jan 11, 2015 at 9:36 AM Post #146 of 516

Good point, but for some reason i had the impression that some of these guys in here were possibly novices or newbies to the scene, so i was just trying to be helpful, and i thought i would emphasize this point just to be clear.

As far as the amping, i don't fully understand the exact context of your question. Nonetheless, as you would know, each Amp will perform differently and display different characteristics, right? So, i think it's a matter of just comparing the different amps and doing an A/B test between them all, but then that also involves the DAC from the source player, so there's too many variables involved to give a straight answer to your question.

1: Playing the music straight from my Android smartphone... slightly above average and a bit disparate with treble harshness .
2: Playing the music straight from my Android smartphone and connected to the FiiO E12 Mont Blanc... slightly better, but still a bit messy.
3: Playing the music from the stereo line-out on my computer... very good, but not quite in audiophile territory.
4: Playing the music straight from my iPod nano 7th generation, phenomenal and in audiophile territory.
5: Playing the music straight from my iPod nano 7th generation (through the iPod's DAC/Amp) and into the line-in on the E17K... excellent, but just short of audiophile territory.
5: Playing the music from the computer utilizing only the E17K DAC and Amp... overly warm, and slightly lacking air and treble clarity in the top-end !

Yamaha MT220! Extremely accurate monitoring headphones, and every review from every pro concurs right across the board. Not one pro reviewer has a bad thing to say about them, quite the contrary, the praise for them is unanimous; quite an achievement from Yamaha, and even hardcore hold-outs are on the bandwagon now.

I have a confession to make. the review from bowei006' of the E17K was bang-on! He got it totally right, every aspect of his review was correct. Obviously he also has 'accurate' headphones.

I got my initial impressions wrong yesterday, i had done so much listening yesterday when doing comparisons that my ears got fatigued and i lost perspective.

So now i must say, this modern day phenomena of companies choosing DACs that render warm sound is quite disappointing, and why do i say this? Because for starters, i think these DAC makers and DAP manufacturers are being assumptious, and imposing their own ideals as a compensatory measure, it may be well-intentioned, but IMO it's misguided.

It is assumptious in the sense they appear to be assuming that everyone is listening to MP3 and AAC files that have had the guts ripped out of them, and consequently sound quite sterile, cold and harsh as a result, and also they must be thinking that digital music today is seen as being cold.
However, i must say that this is faulty thinking on the part of the DAC makers and DAP manufacturers. The warmth in these DACs is 'too much', and the extra warmth actually becomes sickening, i find it very hard to listen to music that has been embeud with artificial warmth and i really can't stand it, it is quite displeasing, i find it becomes intolerable to me, and my ears don't like it at all.

Firstly, it alters the original source material, and therefore by default such DAC attributes deviate from the music producers actual intentions for the finished tone of the song. Many songs are delicately mixed and mastered for a very exacting result, even digital music still has its own sound signature that the producer and mastering engineer have already settled on, whether the end-result might be deemed cold or not is not the point, because the end-result is exactly the tonal and frequency balance that the producer and mastering engineer settled on, and therefore it shouldn't be changed one iota. Digital music might be more bland than 60s and 70s and 80s music, but that doesn't mean it is horrible, it is just different, but it still sounds nice. There is no need to then go and make a digital song 'artificially' warm, because it just sounds wrong, wrong, wrong.
Secondly, songs from the 60s, 70s and 80s are already warm sounding to a very nice degree, due to the harmonic artifacts of using analog gear, but also due to tape saturation, but the end-result of music from that era is marvelous, but to then embellish a naturally warm-sounding song with even more artificial warmth is just disastrous. If we see that these warm DACs are ruining so-called cold digital music, then how much more the music that is already warm? This is a disastrous state of affairs, and that's exactly my mental and emotional reaction when listening to music decoded by these warm DACs, feel me? I say again, i find it intolerable and quite sickening, truly, not as a reaction, but my ears don't like it in the least.

The warmth from the E17K i find totally unacceptable, this is a warm sounding DAC/AMP for sure, and it's terrible! I can't listen to it, i want to enjoy it, but my senses are cringing and their is a frown on my face despite the fact i want to accept it, but i can't, my ears don't like it.

So, with the well-known flaws of the FiiO E11 and E12 and now the E17K, IMO FiiO needs to go back to the drawing board and start again. Neutrality should be the order of the day, fidelity to the original source material, and accurate conversion of the signal.

Also the X1 is a disaster, and the X3 is not much better, in fact, it's worse than the X1, and the X5 has some known flaws in its overall rendering capability, so where does that leave me with FiiO, well i've come to the conclusion that i wont be buying their products again until they change their game-plan.
FiiO, if you're listening, go for DACs that are known to have a 'neutral' sound, this is the only way to go.

Is there any good news to all of this? Well yes, but not what you might expect. I've done the test right now with fresh ears, direct A/B testing, and wow, i can't believe it. I plugged in my new iPod Nano which i just bought yesterday, and either i'm on drugs or asleep and dreaming, or Apple has done the job with aplomb. The iPod Nano from the line-out directly into my headphones is nigh-on perfect!! I'm not joking guys, Apple have clearly done their home work. It's amazing how this tiny iPod Nano can drive full-sized headphones with punch and power, but it is. The difference was immediately apparent. very similar to the E17K but without the anomalies of the E17K. The treble was dead-on accurate, the air and clarity was back in the top-end, the bass was deep and punchy without the slight boominess of the E17, and the midrange clarity and transparency was remarkable. The soundstage, absolutely perfect and totally realistic, not too wide and not narrow in any way, simply accurate! And then the detail retrieval, quite scary! And the imaging, fantastic! Also, the dynamics and transient response of the music were all fast and well-timed, no lag here folks. I simply cannot fault it.

Songs i am utterly acquainted and know better than the back of my hand are displayed absolutely dead-on accurate. And i can only put the iPod nano volume at 75%, otherwise it's too loud and hurts my ears, and yet i like loud sound, so that tells you they have plenty of drive under the covers, the iPod nano is driving my pro headphones with aplomb, the Yamaha MT220 - 37ohms. I'm astonished but ecstatic and yes i've double-checked, i'm not dreaming. Who would have thought? The iPod Nano IMO sh_ts all over my three FiiO amps, sorry, but i have the proof right here in front of me.

Is there anything else that bodes well from this new iPod Nano revelation and performance? Well yes there is...

1: Gone is all the hassle and bulk and weight and irksome inconvenience having to carry the amp/dac paired to a smartphone.
4: Unlike Android Smartphones it plays Apple lossless Audio Codec as well as WAV etc

Is there anything else i can say that might qualify my new findings for those who are curious, well yes i think there is... we know Apple doesn't do things in halves, we know they are perfectionists, we know their engineers are meticulous and aim for the highest standards of functionality, and we know the iPod Nano is the most ubiquitous music player on the planet AND IN ITS 7th GENERATION, so Apple is only interested in making sure these players perform. If we look at the extent to which Apple went to redesign its ear buds, here's the spiel from their website...
"Apple designers and engineers had the goal of creating earbuds that rest and stay comfortably inside a variety of ear types — while also producing the best sound quality possible. They tested 124 different prototypes on over 600 people. The result is a breakthrough for earbud headphones. They’re called EarPods. They look unlike anything you’ve ever seen. They sound unlike any earbuds you’ve ever heard. And the audio quality is so superior, they rival high-end headphones."

Therefore, we know it is safe to assume that if Apple went to this much trouble to create their earbuds, it would be safe to assume that they put just as much expertise and time into designing/choosing the DAC and Amp section, and the results bear that out, i am happy to report that the results are spectacular!! They went for accuracy, NOT WARMTH, and i believe folks they have succeeded!

Does all this all mean that i will forsake all other DAPs, maybe not! It just means for now i can relax and enjoy, and all the frantic hunting for DAPs and DAC/AMPs etc can be well and truly put on hold, maybe even permanently; i have found what i deem 99% audiophile audio performance and great listening pleasure in a very convenient and portable fuss-free package. But, i am still interested in the iBasso DX90 if it can function as a portable DAC/AMP, and because i am a music producer the iBasso will accomodate storage and play-back of my songs produced and mastered as 24bit 96khz audio files, nice! And also the IBasso DAP has a user replaceable battery.

Sorry to all the guys for my previous hasty posts about the performance of the E17K, what can i say, i messed-up. Cheers.
I'm newbie.. what shall I get Fiio e18 or Alpen 2 e17? I'll be using it on Samsung galaxy note 2+Bose QC3 headphone....

Jan 11, 2015 at 12:47 PM Post #147 of 516

Never heard about the Yamaha MT220 but a quick "google" caught my attention. Thanks.

I didn't understand. Did you like the e17k or not? 

Jan 11, 2015 at 1:33 PM Post #148 of 516
Yup you're right both has pros and cons... I'm taking fiio e18 route because it works with galaxy note 2 and other android device and I don't need to worry about compatibility.

Let's compare sound quality of e18 and alpen e17 only.... who will win the battle?

P s. I live in Canada, it sucks sometime it's hard to get all these products. I called many authorised FIIO retailers and they don't carry it. I also requested them I can pay in advance and you can order it for me. They denied it. Finally found one seller on AMAZON.CA cost me $225, placed order week before and he hasn't shipped it yet. I'm thinking of canceling order if Alpen e17 is better than e18
that is way too much money for E18. There was a international group buy for it for $120 a few days ago....

I prefer the Alpenn series for the fun sound

Jan 11, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #149 of 516
that is way too much money for E18. There was a international group buy for it for $120 a few days ago....

I prefer the Alpenn series for the fun sound
would it be possible if you can share link where I can get it cheaper? I'm leaning towards ALPEN 2-E17K lately. So confused. Trust me mate they overprice everything here

Jan 11, 2015 at 4:15 PM Post #150 of 516
would it be possible if you can share link where I can get it cheaper? I'm leaning towards ALPEN 2-E17K lately. So confused. Trust me mate they overprice everything here

http://www.fiio.net/en/stores

http://www.headfoneshop.com/#FiiO

I see them for near normal price here on headfoneshop
http://www.headphonebar.com/categories/Headphone-Amps-%26-Desktop-Audio/

And headphonebar

Users who are viewing this thread

Back