Fiio E17/E9/E11 Combo Drives the Hifiman HE-500 to Outrageous Levels!!
May 9, 2012 at 2:23 PM Post #46 of 59
Decided to go local and landed a Musical Paradise MP-301 MK2 after reading reviews. It puts about 1.3 watts into the HE-500s 38ohms. I'm listening to it right now and it is 3X better than the Fiio E11 (lol) .. yeah I have cake on my face, but none in my ears. After doing an A/B the E11 will do in a pinch but these headphones can go much further. The MP-301 gives incredible extension, detail, and clarity to the HE-500s. You hear the full extension of the decay of notes in vocals and instruments, something the E11 does not reproduce. Drums sound just fantastic but that is probably more due to the HE-500 which does drums beautifully anyway. Can't really do a full review just yet but just passing by to drop a note. Next week I get to finally try the Hifiman HE-500 with the Schiit Asgard and Schiit Lyr. Looking forward to it. I will do an impressions comp between them and the MP-301 MK2. Hey did I mention the MP-301 looks fantastic - here is a product pic ..

May 22, 2012 at 1:31 AM Post #50 of 59
OK. Have heard good things about the HE-500/Lyr combo, but then, the proof is always in the pudding. I will do a mini-review after I've had an opportunity to audition them. Just waiting for my local headphone shop to have demo units set up. What are you presently using to drive your Hifiman? I'm enjoying the MP-301 MK2 immensely with it even though its power output is just above adequate to meet the HE-500's minimal requirements. I want to see what a larger reserve of power would do and if it is worth investing in.

May 22, 2012 at 1:55 AM Post #51 of 59
Actually only researching upgrades from AD700 and M50 to something that will last me a long time. I have heard lots about that combo but some discerning ones suggest it doesn't add to the bass as everyone suggests. Will be interesting to see what you think. I was thinking M-Stage with HRT Music Screamer or (as per one discerning listener's suggestion) the Nuforce Icon HDP. Otherwise go crazy and get like the V200 or something -

May 22, 2012 at 2:20 AM Post #52 of 59
I think the HE-500 is definitely a keeper regardless of the amp you eventually match it with. I would avoid the incremental upgrade approach with getting an amp for it though. I took that route with the Bellari HA540 and am regretting having done so. I think a minimal 1 watt amp is a good starting point and anything with a lower power output s/b safely avoided. Unfortunately there aren't a lot of amps that sit at the +1 watt buffer. A good option could be the Audio-gd amps which I was leaning towards, but the distance and logistics were a bit daunting for me.

Those are good choices for DACs. Have tried the Nuforce Icon HDP but not the HRT Music Streamer which I hear good things about. P.S. The HE-500 has loads of bass, and that's from someone who loves bass juice. I think it's just right, doesn't overpower the spectrum while being fully there (when it's called for it's really there, when it's not, it's not). I like that the HP doesn't have an artificial lower frequency bump but is fully capable of representing it when the music calls for it.

May 22, 2012 at 2:30 AM Post #53 of 59
Exactly as you say and others have said - I don't have patience for incremental upgrades but do so for researching and finding what is best for me. I don't mind spending a bit of dough as long as I am sure I am making the right choice. 3 months of looking around and not testing is finally getting to me. I want it now and want to enjoy the music rather than spend more time reading. No offense to reviewers and great people on head-fi because you guys have tested many and can give a reasonably objective review.

Btw good to hear about the bass - what amp were you using to make that comment? Or unamped?

May 22, 2012 at 3:14 AM Post #54 of 59
"Btw good to hear about the bass - what amp were you using to make that comment? Or unamped?"

Was listening via the MP-301 but have found this to be true with pretty much every amp that provides enough volume for the HE-500. It's really about the HP. I think it really helps that the HE-500 has such a clean background to lay the music over. If all you've listened to are dynamic headphones you'll see what I mean when you try the HE-500.

"3 months of looking around and not testing is finally getting to me. I want it now ..."

Yup -- I know what that's like. At least you can get part of the equation solved --- the headphones
wink.gif
. I wish you could try them first too. When I tried the HE-500 for the first time there was no doubt I was listening to a very special headphone, and that was via an iPod with a line out cable fed into the Fiio E11. I knew my search was over .. that's how good it is. Just a little nudge ...

May 22, 2012 at 2:01 PM Post #56 of 59
Just drink this here juiecee and you'll be one of us -- he, he. EH, just don't join that other ortho cult - they are nuts. We are sane and keep our feet on the ground and we don't require an oath of allegiance. If you don't like our juiecee you can pass it on to the next recruit. See ... all is well!
wink_face.gif

Jun 10, 2012 at 10:45 PM Post #57 of 59
Quote:
Any updates regarding the Schiit Lyr? Interested to hear how they performed?

Finally got to try the combo and here is my impression already posted in another thread. Don't feel that my experience requires an extensive commentary as it was a bit of a flop. Anyway, here is what I already wrote:

"I finally got to try the Schiit Lyr with the HE-500 and I am still not sure what happened there. Either I tried a dud or perhaps I had wax in my ears that day. Part of the problem is my expectations were so high (schit - blame over-enthusiastic salesm... er reviewers), the likelihood of potential disappointment was at a peak. For one, it just felt as if the HE-500s represented a big load for the amp which was surprising considering the power output the amp is rated at. Anyway, glad I got a chance to try it out, but the canary didn't sing - so no music out of those toobs."

Jul 31, 2012 at 12:26 AM Post #58 of 59
Nevermind all hail the cult, but all hail Terja.  I was right on the brink of ordering the Bifrost/Lyr for the best part of $1000 when I was lucky enough to stumble on your posts.  I had got too the totally frustrated point with trying to maximize the potential of my HE 500s.  Fortunately I happened to have the E17/E11/E9 available and I totally agree with your post.  Who would have thought that the $60 E11 had the potential to help bring the HE 500s closer to their potential?  Well it seems that you thought of it.  My old E11 had been sitting gathering dust for quite awhile, but not anymore.  I am trying it with a few other DACS I have available at the moment I am using it with the ODA stand alone DAC from JDSLabs and I like it.  Thank you for the bright light Terja it is much appreciated

Jul 31, 2012 at 4:22 PM Post #59 of 59
It's a bit of a left-field discovery and because of that it can be expected there would be some resistance - I mean, what business does a $60 portable have being able to drive a $700 orthodynamic headphone? Actually Mike over at Headfonia says pretty much the same thing, see HERE (do a page search for HE-500). Unfortunately there are drawbacks, the biggest one being the E11 doesn't charge as it plays, which really sucks.

One thing I have found though is that the HE-500 is incredibly scalable especially when viewed as mini-speakers and not just headphones. I am now using it exclusively via speaker taps with a 4-pin XLR cable. I mostly use it with a vintage Pioneer SA-7500 II and also with a Musical Paradise MP-301 MK2 tube amp. I have 10 watt resistors in place for the tube amp but I use it directly via speaker taps with the Pioneer. The Pioneer puts out 45 watts at 8 ohms which translates to 9.5 watts for the HE-500's 38 ohms. The sound I get out of this set up is incredibly rich and has that feel of having lots of reserve for the HPs to draw on. The Fiio E11 has to use up pretty much all of it's reserve to drive the 500s. If you get a chance, try the HE-500s via speaker terminals. There are many affordable amplification options if you try that route. The HE-500 doesn't require as much power as the HE-6 (probably 60 watts max at 8 ohms) but check out the HE-6 thread for amplification ideas - http://www.head-fi.org/t/493214/hifiman-he-6-planar-magnetic-headphone.

This is an incredibly beautiful headphone. I am listening to it right now as I type and it continually surprises me. Ciao ....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back