Fiio E17/E9/E11 Combo Drives the Hifiman HE-500 to Outrageous Levels!!
Apr 23, 2012 at 12:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 59

Terja

100+ Head-Fier
In a continuing battle of wills to drive my Hifiman HE-500s to that ever-elusive 'sweet spot' (or so it seemed), I have found myself on a perpetual motion of experimentation (until now!). Having heard good things about the Fiio E11 and HE-500 synergy, I never figured I could take that good synergy even higher. In fact my first experience with the HE-500 was through the E11, and I was terrifically impressed. The only problem seemed to be the somewhat recessed gain, even with the Fiio E11 on high gain. But there was just something there (that elusive silver lining) in how that combo sounded.

I've been running my Hifiman HE-500 using the E17/E9 combo as a DAC via line out to the Bellari HA540 headphone amplifier. While that series is pretty good it just seemed to have a limit. It is pretty impressive at constrained volume levels but just when I want to really jam at a slightly higher gain the SQ quickly takes a hit (and so dang! I have to tone it back down again). I just never seemed to be able to get over that hump. But, but ... yes, there is hope!

I finally decided to give the E11 a turn in this chain as an external amp with the E17/E9 handling DAC duties. Here is how I have it set up: E17 is docked to the E9 with the E17 line-out bypass selection in the lower position (i.e. the E17 is being used strictly as a DAC). The E9 is set to high gain. I am running a small male to male 3.5mm cable from the E9 pre-output to the E11 in. The E11 is set to high gain, with EQ set to 1. And of course ... the HE-500 is plugged into the E11 headphone out.

I can't tell you how good this combo sounds. I have heard the HE-500 sounding pretty good over the four months I've had it, but I've never heard it sound this good. And this is after trying it with the Hifiman EF5, the Bellari HA540, the E9 or E17. Granted I have yet to try it with the likes of the Schiit Lyr which a lot of Headfiers swear by as the amp for the HE500s, also the Audio-gd 12.1. Still man, the way the Hifimans are sounding out of the E11 through this chain is just amazing! I'm getting an incredibly clean SQ at high gains, something I just wasn't able to get via the Bellari before things turned to quiet panic. This E17/E9/E11 combo has really pushed the envelope for me (I mean it's stuffed); there is so little room left I just don't see where there is any more room left for improvement from any other amp (yeah I know, never say 'you-know-what'), but man|woman this is a true left-field surprise.

I don't know how many folks have all the pieces required to try out this chain; but I can't wait to hear from others about it. If you have all the required pieces and have been driving the HE-500 via another chain, give the E17/E9/E11 combo a try. This combo is fairly affordable (about $300), much less than other dedicated amps for the Hifimans would cost. I'm just finding it really hard to imagine how they could sound much better than what I'm hearing right now, really hard . . .

P.S. When you have the combo set up max out the volume on the E11 and control levels via the E9 volume pot (yes it works ...) At 11-12 o'clock it gets pretty loud. Oh yeah, before I forget, I am playing lossless files in Foobar via ASIO4All to the E17/E9 DAC. Everything counts I guess, in case you try yours and wind up saying ..... ah you get it!

Apr 23, 2012 at 12:49 AM Post #4 of 59
Volume =/= properly driven

That and you're amping in multiple stages which is usually detrimental to sound quality...

I like Fiios as much as the next guy, but I'd opt for something more capable for orthos...

HE-4 didn't sound right with the E9, and the E9 drove it to high volume levels.

Apr 23, 2012 at 12:50 AM Post #5 of 59

Quote:
Sounds ghetto...so like, DAC -> 2 amps in a row? Would that not add excess noise or distortions?

Nothing wrong with ghetto (you must come from an expensive ghetto). "Would that not add excess noise or distortions?" - that's the surprise though, I am not getting any of that - no noise, no clipping, no noise whatsoever, and at last I can listen to the HE-500 at the volume I want to with lots of headroom left. U really need to try this to hear what I'm saying.

Apr 23, 2012 at 12:53 AM Post #6 of 59

Quote:
All three of those came out to around $330 when added to the cart on Amazon.  You could pick up a used Lyr for $325 in the forums at the moment.  You would still need a dac though.

Sorry I'm in Canada and can buy this combo for $305 from Headphone Bar. Have seriously considered the Schiit Lyr. Will check out the one you pointed out.

Apr 23, 2012 at 1:08 AM Post #7 of 59

Quote:
Volume =/= properly driven
That and you're amping in multiple stages which is usually detrimental to sound quality...
I like Fiios as much as the next guy, but I'd opt for something more capable for orthos...
HE-4 didn't sound right with the E9, and the E9 drove it to high volume levels.

Not sure what you mean by "Volume =/= properly driven"? There is only one amp here (the E11) - This works just as well via the E9 RCA outs except you then have to control the volume on the E11. The E17/E9 is strictly handling DAC duties. I find that because it's a powered DAC combo it provides a stronger signal for the eventual amp. Same answer to your question jerg (so like, DAC -> 2 amps in a row?). One amp. It's just the synergies of this combo that are truly outstanding.

Apr 23, 2012 at 1:22 AM Post #9 of 59

Quote:

it does sound really ghetto lol...

I think you're getting thrown by the fact that each of the pieces of equipment here can be used as amps, but in this case they are not, only the E11 is being used as the amp. It could as well have been DAC 0101 to E11. DAC 0101 is simply E17/E9. DAC to amp is the nominal standard, nothing ghetto about it (oh wait, maybe there is, never mind ...)  - I guess there is too much Fiio glare
ph34r.gif
!

Apr 23, 2012 at 1:40 AM Post #11 of 59

Quote:
Sounds good to me.  And when you need the DAC/Amp for the road, it's no sweat.

Sounding really good to me too. I can't wait for others to try this out. The E11 is a far better amp than the E9 and I think that is the 'secret' ingredient here. Yeah its great that you can take all these pieces apart and go on the road - real sweet! (Except perhaps without the E9).

Apr 23, 2012 at 5:00 AM Post #14 of 59
I used my E7/E9's RCA out, and fed that to the Lyr. That way I was using the E7's DAC, with the Lyr's amp.

In your case, you're using the E17's dac with the E9's pre-out (which IS amped) and the E11s amp. Question is, why? The E11 has no reason to be in the chain...

You're double amping when using the pre-out to another amp, FYI.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back