FiiO E12DIY Limited Edition Version---DIY your own sound !
May 4, 2015 at 6:02 PM Post #2,028 of 2,388
Hi, fellow E12DIY-ers!

I have actually been using the E12DIY for a year, mainly just swapping opamps and buffers. However, I have not tried tweaking the bandwidth of the amp and so was wondering whether I could get some tips from those of you who have done it. The user manual only has a very brief and simplified guide to changing the bandwidth and to me, isn't detailed enough for me to be confident about doing it.

Would I need any additional tools other than the two resistors provided in the tin to perform the bandwidth change? What about the two little rectangular pieces also in the tin? What are they for?

And also, what are the benefits of changing the bandwidth?

Thanks in advance! 
smily_headphones1.gif

May 26, 2015 at 9:05 AM Post #2,032 of 2,388
The 5002 buffer needs a pin out conversion to work, none of the versions work standalone, easiest way is to purchase a set that has already been converted from headfi member hiflight: http://www.head-fi.org/u/22191/hiflight

May 26, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #2,033 of 2,388
  Thank you.
Here's another question.
I wanted to buy buffer HA-5002, but there are different HA2, HA3, HA4, HA7
Which suited me, and if there is a big difference between them?

They are referring to the different packaging. Basically you want HA9, or SOIC8 packaging, as it is the only one that will fit inside E12DIY.

Then you'll need two of the special HA-5002 BrownDog adapter. How to mount them correctly has been mentioned in the past in this thread, so go and read them.

...or buy a pair from HiFlight.

May 31, 2015 at 8:43 AM Post #2,034 of 2,388
  Hi, fellow E12DIY-ers!

I have actually been using the E12DIY for a year, mainly just swapping opamps and buffers. However, I have not tried tweaking the bandwidth of the amp and so was wondering whether I could get some tips from those of you who have done it. The user manual only has a very brief and simplified guide to changing the bandwidth and to me, isn't detailed enough for me to be confident about doing it.

Would I need any additional tools other than the two resistors provided in the tin to perform the bandwidth change? What about the two little rectangular pieces also in the tin? What are they for?

And also, what are the benefits of changing the bandwidth?

Thanks in advance! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Let me answer my own question(s) - if you're not sure what you're dealing with, it's probably best to just leave it the way it is. 
biggrin.gif

Jul 3, 2015 at 5:41 AM Post #2,036 of 2,388
These days I just randomly pick an op amp without looking at the marking on the chip (obviously single chanel op amps look more similar to each other than to dual chanel op amps) and plug it into my E12DIY. I listen for a few days / weeks and think about how I feel about the combination in the amp, and then only open the amp to take a closer look at the marking on the chip to see which one it is. I feel this really helps to free one of potential biases and other opinions which may influence one's impressions of the sound. I found that to be a really fun way to play with the amp. How's everyone feeling about their E12DIY in general these days? 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 4, 2015 at 5:54 AM Post #2,038 of 2,388
Interesting approach @ClassicalViola!

Might just have to give that a try...

Go go go! It's really FUN and you'll discover that even just among the stock op amps there are jewels... I found that it really helps me appreciate the sound more and think less about the model number of the op amps etc. 
wink.gif

Jul 13, 2015 at 7:27 AM Post #2,040 of 2,388
I have a noob question.

Is it woth to keep the FiiO E12DIY (no Muses) or does it make sense to switch to FiiO E12E with the Muses allready in.

Is it all about changing to a slightly different sounds, where at the end most of the experienced users end with the Muses?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back