FiiO E12DIY Limited Edition Version---DIY your own sound !
Jul 3, 2014 at 10:08 PM Post #1,411 of 2,388
  I think some people have to file and some don't and why that is I have no clue.  I personally was able to get my case closed with MUSES1 and 2 and with OPA 627 on the adapters however I bet you they all barely touch the case.  It just barely clears it.

Yes exactly and I am still undecided whether to go for the MUSES or not hmmmmmm. I really do hope if I do get mine, there is not need to file the housing. BTW which did you prefer? I prefer clarity with good bass. MUSES01 or MUSES02 do you reckon?

I've found the light of an LED flashlight is very helpful in reading the labels. Under normal light (even sunlight) I find them all but illegible. Somehow, a little LED flashlight's cold white light seems to be perfect for reading the stamped labels on the op amps

On other matters, after deciding I liked the LME49990 / HA-5002 combo recently, I was decidedly underwhelmed this morning on my way to work (I haven't listened to the amp for a while). The soundstage seems less expansive than I would like. From everyone's experience, do you think I should change the HA-5002 to LME49600 or change the LME49990 to OPA1611 to open up the sound more?

I might buy some OPA627s soon to throw into the mix as well, but for now, those are my best choices.

Oh, I shall go dig out my LED flashlight to look at the chips again, its a pain to try and see the wordings lol.

There is a good chance the chips are burnt even if they are only turned on for just 1 seconds. You need to plug them back in the right orientation and check for damage. Fingers crossed.

Oh no...... will have to test them out when Im home tonight. Hopefully the chips are still alright.......

Jul 4, 2014 at 2:24 AM Post #1,412 of 2,388
Swapped the HA5002s out for an all LME setup today. LME49990 and LME49600 are now rocking my Miracles. The LME49990 is smoother than the OPA1611 and not quite as "etched" but still lets the LME49600 create its great sense if space.

I think I'm officially not an HA5002 fan no matter how much I try to love them. They're really smooth, but just not to my personal tastes in staging and presentation.

Jul 4, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #1,413 of 2,388
Here to inform you guys that my HA-5002 build is reopened for batch 3, which will be the last batch I'll build. Detail here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/722671/ha-5002-browndog-adapter-for-fiio-e12diy

Also note that, as suggested by others in the HA-5002 build thread that we should arrange for a similar non-profit build for OPA627, I have been in contact with FiiO to seek out the possibility of acquiring more blank dual adapter and they have generously agreed to supply us with all the adapter free-of-charge, so the project is a go for now. To make it more interesting, you are not limited to OPA627 and can request for any single channel SOIC opamp of your liking (*provided I can get them from local supplier, which are RS Online Malaysia, Element14 Malaysia or Mouser Malaysia, and they will work in E12DIY). Different from the HA-5002 build is that, you will have to pay in full before I order any part as they can get very expensive and I don't want to overdraw my credit card. As this is going to be a non-profit build, the price will be determined by the cost of parts, shipping and any Paypal fee that occurs. I will be providing my labor for free again. To make it fair to everyone, It will be limited to 2 adapters (with your choices of two pairs of opamp) per person. More detail when this actually happens, which will be after I finish up my HA-5002 batch 3 build, roughly by the end of this month or early next.

Cheer.

Jul 4, 2014 at 6:30 PM Post #1,414 of 2,388
That's very generous of you and Fiio!!

I'll probably make my own because I'm in Australia so shipping gets expensive quickly, but you've inspired me... Other than LME49990 which I have and OPA627 which I will be trying, what other single channel would you recommend for neutrality and spaciousness? (or have I already got the best options above and in the stock kit?)

Jul 4, 2014 at 9:35 PM Post #1,415 of 2,388
I know NJM5532 is one of the most transparent and neutral sounding opamp for E12DIY. But for single channel opamp, I can't say any that I have tried will fall into that category.

Jul 4, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #1,416 of 2,388
  I know NJM5532 is one of the most transparent and neutral sounding opamp for E12DIY. But for single channel opamp, I can't say any that I have tried will fall into that category.

I have an NJM5532 and find it quite cold and analytical - perhaps my sense of neutral is skewed. To my ears the OPA627 (I've tried the BP DIP-8 version using an adapter with the DIY case open) is only slightly warm of neutral so I guess I'm looking to see if there's anything slightly more neutral than OPA627 without going too far into analytical territory.

Jul 4, 2014 at 9:50 PM Post #1,417 of 2,388
In that case, you might want to try LME49720 (or the single version, LME49710). It is kind of like a slightly warmer NJM5532, with better bass kick and texture.

Jul 4, 2014 at 11:15 PM Post #1,419 of 2,388
BTW, I should have enough blank dual adapters from FiiO to send a few out for those of you who want to do the soldering yourself. For now it will be limited to 2 adapters per person, you just have to pay for the shipping and packaging, etc. Again, more detail by the end of the month.

Jul 5, 2014 at 1:27 AM Post #1,421 of 2,388
Yes, you can, but let leave the discussion to the upcoming opamp build thread.

Jul 5, 2014 at 2:43 AM Post #1,422 of 2,388
1, Yes, the gain may change to -3dB and +6dB.

2, The power supply may change to +/- 7.4V . but not decided yet cause the high power supply can provide better SQ.

3, The bass and crossfeed will be removed.
James please keep bass boost, 25hz to 40hz peak and make it adjustable. +3db and +6db, Also low ohm .05 to pair well with anything. I'd be all over that

Jul 5, 2014 at 3:05 AM Post #1,423 of 2,388
James please keep bass boost, 25hz to 40hz peak and make it adjustable. +3db and +6db, Also low ohm .05 to pair well with anything. I'd be all over that

E12IEM topology is more like a scaled down (on voltage and gain) E12DIY than a scaled down E12, so the bass boost is definitely not going to be there.

Jul 5, 2014 at 4:07 AM Post #1,424 of 2,388
Spent some time this afternoon rolling op amps and taking notes and, ClieOS, I must thank you again for your continued support of the NJM5532 - it really is outstanding and may have become my favourite op amp after all. I previously thought it was too bright / analytical, but I'm fine with it today and the bass, while not enhanced in any way, just extends forever!

Looks like the LME49710 might be perfect for me... time for a visit to RS-Online

Jul 5, 2014 at 7:45 AM Post #1,425 of 2,388
  Spent some time this afternoon rolling op amps and taking notes and, ClieOS, I must thank you again for your continued support of the NJM5532 - it really is outstanding and may have become my favourite op amp after all. I previously thought it was too bright / analytical, but I'm fine with it today and the bass, while not enhanced in any way, just extends forever!

Looks like the LME49710 might be perfect for me... time for a visit to RS-Online

I just looked up both those opamps at Digikey.  Price is certainly right for both of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back