FiiO E12DIY Limited Edition Version---DIY your own sound !
Jul 3, 2014 at 2:41 AM Post #1,396 of 2,388
Yes, capacitance does make a difference. First, it can't be too small. Because the caps is there to remove any DC input just before the opamp, they form a high pass filter together. When the capacitance is too small, you will start to lose most of the sub-bass. The stock Wima is 2.2uF, which is a fairly safe number to use. I'll suggest you should at least match it, if not higher. Too high a capacitance also won't help, so keep it reasonable, probably around 10uF~22uF, which will give you some good selection of caps that can still fit inside E12DIY without problem.

So I guess it would be OK to order electrolytic caps that match the values of the Elna Tonerex that came with the E12DIY as an alternative?

If I remember correctly, they are 10uF/25v.

Jul 3, 2014 at 2:46 AM Post #1,397 of 2,388
So I guess it would be OK to order electrolytic caps that match the values of the Elna Tonerex that came with the E12DIY as an alternative?

If I remember correctly, they are 10uF/25v.

Sure, just be sure they have the right size.

Jul 3, 2014 at 6:34 AM Post #1,399 of 2,388
Is it safe to purchase quality caps on eBay?

If it is the famous one (muse, silmic II, etc), no, especially if they are from the Far East.

Jul 3, 2014 at 8:53 AM Post #1,400 of 2,388

Yeah I am indeed considering to do some swapping, I read that Muses01 and Muses02 are amazing op amps and is now trying to find out where to get authentic ones. Im not very technically inclined so I would like to ask, if we match chips that are so good, will the sound be able to be as good as top tier portable amps? Do you think this is possible?

I live in Japan at MCAS Iwakuni.  I can get Muses01 and Muses02 for 3500yen and 3400 yen, respectively plus 500 yen shipping to my home from Akizukidenshi.  That and $5.80 puts them in a Priority Mail box and nets exactly zero profit for me (provided you live in the US).  Done it for a few folks here.  Akizukidenshi is an authorized dealer for Japan Radio Corporation (JRC).

Jul 3, 2014 at 8:36 PM Post #1,401 of 2,388
I tried swapping out the chips, in the end I still prefer the chip that it came in default in. My chips are in quite bad condition that I cannot really see the wordings on the chips so it was abit of a blind listening test lol.

Jul 3, 2014 at 8:38 PM Post #1,402 of 2,388
  I live in Japan at MCAS Iwakuni.  I can get Muses01 and Muses02 for 3500yen and 3400 yen, respectively plus 500 yen shipping to my home from Akizukidenshi.  That and $5.80 puts them in a Priority Mail box and nets exactly zero profit for me (provided you live in the US).  Done it for a few folks here.  Akizukidenshi is an authorized dealer for Japan Radio Corporation (JRC).

Thanks for the help! I am still undecided whether to swap the chips as Im not very good at soldering and the filing of the housing which I am really reluctant to do :) Will keep your suggestion in mind :)

Jul 3, 2014 at 8:48 PM Post #1,403 of 2,388
I tried swapping out the chips, in the end I still prefer the chip that it came in default in. My chips are in quite bad condition that I cannot really see the wordings on the chips so it was abit of a blind listening test lol.

I think they're almost all like that. I was squinting at them while holding in direct sunlight trying to read the damn things. I finally got out my camera, slapped on a macro lens, took some pics, and made some labels stick on then while in storage so I know what they are when going to swap them out.

Jul 3, 2014 at 8:50 PM Post #1,404 of 2,388

Thanks for the help! I am still undecided whether to swap the chips as Im not very good at soldering and the filing of the housing which I am really reluctant to do :) Will keep your suggestion in mind :)

No sweat.  I live here until Feb of next year.  Tell you the truth I like both MUSES chips a lot but right now I'm preferring OPA627 with HA-5002.  OPA 627 can be had from Digikey easily although you'll have to solder them up on the side by side single to dual adapters.  MUSES of course is a drop in solution.

Jul 3, 2014 at 9:09 PM Post #1,405 of 2,388
I think they're almost all like that. I was squinting at them while holding in direct sunlight trying to read the damn things. I finally got out my camera, slapped on a macro lens, took some pics, and made some labels stick on then while in storage so I know what they are when going to swap them out.

Oh I thought mine was a bad batch of handiwork, so now I know its all like that. I put in 2 chips i tink shld shld be wrong or wrong orientation and the blue power lamp was flashing so I quickly switched the amp off and pulled out the chips quickly.

No sweat.  I live here until Feb of next year.  Tell you the truth I like both MUSES chips a lot but right now I'm preferring OPA627 with HA-5002.  OPA 627 can be had from Digikey easily although you'll have to solder them up on the side by side single to dual adapters.  MUSES of course is a drop in solution.

Really appreciate the gesture :) BTW I saw in another thread someone dropped in the MUSES02 without the need to file the housing, is this possible?

Jul 3, 2014 at 9:11 PM Post #1,406 of 2,388
Oh I thought mine was a bad batch of handiwork, so now I know its all like that. I put in 2 chips i tink shld shld be wrong or wrong orientation and the blue power lamp was flashing so I quickly switched the amp off and pulled out the chips quickly.

I think they expect us to have a microscope handy!

Jul 3, 2014 at 9:25 PM Post #1,408 of 2,388

Really appreciate the gesture :) BTW I saw in another thread someone dropped in the MUSES02 without the need to file the housing, is this possible?

I think some people have to file and some don't and why that is I have no clue.  I personally was able to get my case closed with MUSES1 and 2 and with OPA 627 on the adapters however I bet you they all barely touch the case.  It just barely clears it.

Jul 3, 2014 at 9:26 PM Post #1,409 of 2,388
I've found the light of an LED flashlight is very helpful in reading the labels. Under normal light (even sunlight) I find them all but illegible. Somehow, a little LED flashlight's cold white light seems to be perfect for reading the stamped labels on the op amps

On other matters, after deciding I liked the LME49990 / HA-5002 combo recently, I was decidedly underwhelmed this morning on my way to work (I haven't listened to the amp for a while). The soundstage seems less expansive than I would like. From everyone's experience, do you think I should change the HA-5002 to LME49600 or change the LME49990 to OPA1611 to open up the sound more?

I might buy some OPA627s soon to throw into the mix as well, but for now, those are my best choices.

Jul 3, 2014 at 9:29 PM Post #1,410 of 2,388

There is a good chance the chips are burnt even if they are only turned on for just 1 seconds. You need to plug them back in the right orientation and check for damage. Fingers crossed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back