FiiO E12DIY Limited Edition Version---DIY your own sound !
Jun 14, 2014 at 10:15 AM Post #1,291 of 2,388
Please note that dual OPA627 on a single-to-dual Brwondog adapter will not fit inside E12DIY.

ClieOS,

You are right. I soldered some unmounted OPA627s onto the included side-by-side board for use in the E12DIY.

I was so satisfied with it in my E12DIY, I purchased the pre-mounted BrownDog OPA627s for use in my CMOYBB.

Indeed, if you will use them I the E12DIY, you'll want to get unmounted chips and solder them to the included boards. I forgot about the height limitation in the E12DIY.

My apologies to anyone who may have been confused by that.

Jun 17, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #1,292 of 2,388
Another great opamp / buffer combo.  

I've been running MUSES02 with HA5002 with much love.

Today I put in MUSES01 with BUF634 and I'm not sure but I think I like it better.  Vey musical, great mid range, great soundstage.  High end is a hair bright even for me who likes a really high bright end but I'll give it a little break in time.  This is with Sony MDR-V6 which are maybe my favorite headphones and I have some much more expensive cans but I always come back to these Sony's.   They really offer the best in what I like to hear. 

Anyway my reference music is pretty doggone sweet with the MUSES01 combo and BUF634.  I'll run this a week then go back to the 02 and HA5002 and see what I think.

At any rate the E12DIY is the coolest thing ever.  Might change the caps next.

Jun 18, 2014 at 3:12 AM Post #1,293 of 2,388
I want to share my experience with the different amps and with different cables. As described in the entry above already, I also like a very open and clear reproduction with a big stage.

And I think I have now found the holy grail.

My E12DIY works with the MUSES02 and the HA-5002 and the Silmic capacitors. I liked the sound so far but lacked a bit of openness in the highs. This little bit more openness i have now reached by using a pure solid silver cable. It is a self-made cable with 4N silver. This means 99.99% pure silver. This cable is really highly recommended. The cable is so incredibly much better than the cable from the FiiO-stacking kit. That is now all what i was searching for.

Jun 21, 2014 at 4:22 AM Post #1,294 of 2,388
Getting carried away soldering up the HA5002's and built up an extra set.  Email me at hagensieker@mac.com if interested.  This is it, not making any more.

Also above and beyond that pair I have 1 additional one (because I screwed up it's twin).  So if for some bizarre reason you need just one and not a pair let me know.

Jun 21, 2014 at 8:32 AM Post #1,295 of 2,388
More opamp / buffer rolling.  Got done playing with the MUSES02 and moved on to the MUSES01.  Paired it with BUF634 which I really enjoyed and now I popped the HA5002 back in.  Was a new pair just soldered up.  Kind of edgy at first but I just crank it up and let it play for a few hours first before listening.

Still a little edgy but I like to give everything a few days to mellow out or get used to whatever is going on.   MUSES01 may be a tad less musical than MUSES02 but it certainly images like nothing I've heard for a while.  I'm starting to come to the conclusion that every combo of whatever you put in the E12DIY sounds good.  It's just a good amp.  

Certainly you are going to prefer some combination of chips but I think this is just a fine amp.   I will say I prefer the MUSES to any of the other opamps however I have a couple OPA627's in the mail and that'll be the next roll. 

MUSES01 or 02 is a winner with just about all the buffers.  I still think when it is all over I'm going to go back to MUSES02 and HA5002.  Then again I may stumble across something I like better.

Jun 22, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #1,296 of 2,388
Just got mine the other day. So excited to try this all out. I'm knowledgeable enough to be dangerous but certainly not in anyone in this forum's league lol. Ive read through all 87 pages and you guys are very impressive.
Quick initial question...were your boxes sealed on the outside like Fiio typically does with their products? Mine wasn't so just wondering...

Jun 22, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #1,297 of 2,388
Am I still able to get the E12DIY brand new? I checked with the local distributor and retailer, they have no idea of the E12 DIY, so I'm guessing it wasn't shipping to be sold in Singapore in the first place. I checked ebay and they are going for USD300++ and even much more a pop!

Thanks!

Jun 22, 2014 at 9:04 PM Post #1,298 of 2,388
Amazon for US customers at least. Not sure how it works for outside US customers. Two sellers...ProStudio Sound & Music, and Quantum Wireless. Both list new items. I got mine from ProStudio fullfilled by Amazon. Box wasn't sealed, thus my above question to anyone who bought one.

Jun 22, 2014 at 9:26 PM Post #1,299 of 2,388
Amazon for US customers at least. Not sure how it works for outside US customers. Two sellers...ProStudio Sound & Music, and Quantum Wireless. Both list new items. I got mine from ProStudio fullfilled by Amazon. Box wasn't sealed, thus my above question to anyone who bought one.

Thanks for the headsup, I saw on Amazon going for USD239, is that the price you got it at?

Jun 22, 2014 at 9:44 PM Post #1,300 of 2,388
  Am I still able to get the E12DIY brand new? I checked with the local distributor and retailer, they have no idea of the E12 DIY, so I'm guessing it wasn't shipping to be sold in Singapore in the first place. I checked ebay and they are going for USD300++ and even much more a pop!

Thanks!

You probably haven't checked with E1 Personal Audio. Last time I was there, they still have a few left. It is a limited edition so only very few retailers are able to get their hand on them.

Jun 22, 2014 at 9:44 PM Post #1,301 of 2,388
I used the main one sold by ProStudio but fulfilled by Amazon. $249 free shipping. I thought the $239 had $8.95 shipping. Either way, I believe both sellers are reputable. I've seen fellow head fi'ers talk about using ProStudio so I bought from them. I assume both would be safe to buy from.

Jun 23, 2014 at 1:03 AM Post #1,302 of 2,388
I used the main one sold by ProStudio but fulfilled by Amazon. $249 free shipping. I thought the $239 had $8.95 shipping. Either way, I believe both sellers are reputable. I've seen fellow head fi'ers talk about using ProStudio so I bought from them. I assume both would be safe to buy from.

ProStudio is who I got mine from.  No problems at all!
Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends 

Jun 23, 2014 at 5:52 AM Post #1,303 of 2,388

You probably haven't checked with E1 Personal Audio. Last time I was there, they still have a few left. It is a limited edition so only very few retailers are able to get their hand on them.

Yup I haven checked, thanks for the headsup, I will go check it out :)

Oic, thanks alot for sharing :)

Jun 23, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #1,304 of 2,388
  ProStudio is who I got mine from.  No problems at all!
Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends 

I also got by second E12DIY from these guys through Amazon. No  problems at all.

I got my first E12DIY directly from FiiO through the pre-order. Compared to that, the one from ProStudio is legit. Same thing, packaging and all, except color was silver instead of gold.

I understand there are only around 2000 E12DIYs produced. I wonder how many of them are still in the wild, unclaimed.

For what you get, and for how unique it is, $250 US seems like a very reasonable price for this amp. 

Jun 23, 2014 at 5:40 PM Post #1,305 of 2,388

I also got by second E12DIY from these guys through Amazon. No  problems at all.

I got my first E12DIY directly from FiiO through the pre-order. Compared to that, the one from ProStudio is legit. Same thing, packaging and all, except color was silver instead of gold.

I understand there are only around 2000 E12DIYs produced. I wonder how many of them are still in the wild, unclaimed.

For what you get, and for how unique it is, $250 US seems like a very reasonable price for this amp.

I don't know but my Gold Edition was Serial #0039.  I just bought a second one from ProStudio myself.
Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Users who are viewing this thread

Back