FiiO E12DIY Limited Edition Version---DIY your own sound !
May 19, 2014 at 8:24 AM Post #1,192 of 2,388
As long as it fits without pressing against the housing, you are fine. But don't ever try to force it in, even it is just 0.5mm to cleat the top. Doing so will put stress onto the delicate PCB, and not going to be good in the long run.

May 19, 2014 at 8:57 AM Post #1,193 of 2,388
  there is only High and Low gain switch left on the E12 DIY

My mistake, High gain produces some hiss (not bass boost), if kept below 30%, all is good though!

Edit: bought a muses01 from mouser, thanks again Head-fi for emptying my wallet 
beerchug.gif

Edit 2: added the muses02 to the order, I will post back with my comparison

May 19, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #1,194 of 2,388
  I personally think the MUSES02 sounds better in it than the 01.  To be honest I haven't listened to the 1611 Opamp yet.  I put the MUSES02 in with the LMH6321 and I'm a very satisfied listener.   For me that is the magic sound.

Hi, Deterministic.

As you know, I'm also eagerly awaiting my MUSES01 and MUSES02.

Could you share with us your impressions of both chips, and what about the 02 you enjoy over the 01?

Most of the good press references the 02, though there have been several reports of folks being very happy with the 01. 

If I understand correctly, the 02 is more detailed and has more bass, whereas the 01 sounds warmer and more organic? That's the takeaway based on the limited number of reviews I've seen.

Would you say that's the case? The 01 seems to be up my alley, though it's really hard to say until one has a chance to try them both.

I guess we wouldn't get the full picture without knowing which headphones you are using, as well.

I don't remember, but is the LMH6321 one of the buffers that came with the kit?

And as a final question, does installing and destalling the MUSES chips damage the legs? Gotta try both, but I'm worried pulling them in and out might trash them.

Thanks!

May 19, 2014 at 4:09 PM Post #1,195 of 2,388

Hi, Deterministic.

As you know, I'm also eagerly awaiting my MUSES01 and MUSES02.

Could you share with us your impressions of both chips, and what about the 02 you enjoy over the 01?

Most of the good press references the 02, though there have been several reports of folks being very happy with the 01. 

If I understand correctly, the 02 is more detailed and has more bass, whereas the 01 sounds warmer and more organic? That's the takeaway based on the limited number of reviews I've seen.

Would you say that's the case? The 01 seems to be up my alley, though it's really hard to say until one has a chance to try them both.

I guess we wouldn't get the full picture without knowing which headphones you are using, as well.

I don't remember, but is the LMH6321 one of the buffers that came with the kit?

And as a final question, does installing and destalling the MUSES chips damage the legs? Gotta try both, but I'm worried pulling them in and out might trash them.

Thanks!

K.T.

You should have them here pretty soon I would hope, in the next day or 3 anyway.  I made my own thread on the MUSES02 rolling that outlines my preferences.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/719168/fiio-e12diy-mini-mini-review

I just installed the MUSES01 and I personally didn't care for the sound.  However (and I think I mentioned this in the thread) I put the MUSES01 in a CMOYBB and it's a perfect fit.  Sounds fantastic there.

LMH6321 was my buffer of choice.

And yes you can EASILY damage the soft copper legs on these chips.  If you are very careful you can get them in and out without damage.  What I recommend is to first drop them in the mounts they come with outside the amp to ensure all legs are straight.  Most chips you get are slightly spread out too far.  I put the four legs of one side on a table and slowly press them in to make them perpendicular to the chip body.  Sometimes you need to do that, sometimes you don't. 

If you've never pulled a chip in and out before I recommend rolling with some of the cheaper chips in the kit first.  If MUSES copper legs are the first chip you ever remove you may indeed trash the legs.  The chip puller in the kit is pretty nice though.  If you have a stubborn one literally work it out a millimeter at a time evenly.  If you don't you'll bend them up for sure.  You probably get one or two shots at straightening the legs before they cold work and break.

It really just takes patience.

May 19, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #1,196 of 2,388
Great thread, Deterministic:

MUSES02 seem great!

May I ask what headphones you are using? That figures big into the equation, too. Sounds like you hit a sweet spot with your setup.

Hopefully I will be as lucky as you and not need to file the case. It does look like there is some decent room between my SOIC 8 chips on adapters and the inside of the case. I don't know if it will translate into enough clearance for the DIP 8, though.

If both MUSES have merit for me, I will be keeping a MUSES01 in one E12DIY amp and MUSES02 in the other. Otherwise, I'll keep whichever MUSES sounds best to me in one, and OPA627 in the other. We'll see.

I will definitely try the LMH6321. That buffer is specced for low impedance phones, it is that right? I wonder if it's good synergy with the cans you are using.

Thanks for sharing. I look forward to trying the MUSES out as soon as they arrive!

May 19, 2014 at 4:49 PM Post #1,197 of 2,388
  Great thread, Deterministic:

MUSES02 seem great!

May I ask what headphones you are using? That figures big into the equation, too. Sounds like you hit a sweet spot with your setup.

Hopefully I will be as lucky as you and not need to file the case. It does look like there is some decent room between my SOIC 8 chips on adapters and the inside of the case. I don't know if it will translate into enough clearance for the DIP 8, though.

If both MUSES have merit for me, I will be keeping a MUSES01 in one E12DIY amp and MUSES02 in the other. Otherwise, I'll keep whichever MUSES sounds best to me in one, and OPA627 in the other. We'll see.

I will definitely look try the LMH6321. That buffer is specced for low impedance phones, it is that right? I wonder if it's good synergy with the cans you are using.

Thanks for sharing. I look forward to trying the MUSES out as soon as they arrive!

Whoops forgot to mention that I am using Sony MDR-V6.  I have searched the world over for fantastic headphones and I keep coming back to the MDR-V6.  In a day or so I should get my Sennheiser HD598 and will see what they sound like. 

I briefly put my Sennheiser HD650 on the E12DIY and didn't like it.  The gain drove them okay but I just didn't like the sound.  They only sound good on tubes to me.

May 20, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #1,198 of 2,388
So I took your advice Deterministic and tried out the BUF634 again and do like the BUF634 better. It makes my TF10 sound much warmer then the LME49600 imo. I feel as if it removed some texture but reduced the harshness of the amp adding to the overall smoothness of the sound. Its very boomy now but thats the sound I like. 

May 22, 2014 at 9:30 AM Post #1,199 of 2,388
I have an audiophile officemate test out my E12 DIY with Muse 02 and he is really impressed with the soundstage (he owns a different Fiio model as well as with another officemate w/ whom we exchange gears to audition headsets w/ different Fiio Amps/DACs).

He is asking me (since E12 DIY is a limited edition) if there are other amps out there that already use Muse 02 as the default?  So I guess he is looking for an equivalent E12 DIY w/ Muse 02 mini-amp.

I hope his question still qualifies in this thread.  If not kindly disregard.

Cheers,
Rene

May 22, 2014 at 6:33 PM Post #1,200 of 2,388
Muses arrived today, had to file away about half the thickness of the case, 1" deep to make them fit smooth, but it was all worth it. What a massive improvement. Have only tried the muses02 so far. First song I listened to was ELP's The Barbarian. Just amazing, really nice soundstage, improved clarity, transparency and still keeps a nice warmth. Cant wait to try out the muses01 but getting the muses02 legs into the right position made me cringe. Didnt want to break off a 70$ leg. I might wait until the HA-5002 gets here until I try them out. Defiantly worth it though for anyone wondering if it is. Takes the E12 to the next level. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back