FiiO E12DIY Limited Edition Version---DIY your own sound !
Feb 18, 2014 at 11:46 AM Post #826 of 2,388
怒顶J大~~~
L3000.gif

Feb 18, 2014 at 1:54 PM Post #827 of 2,388

IMO, BG is far from being transparent. Well, at least the few pairs of NX Hi-Q (which some have a hundreds hours or two on them) I have are nowhere near being transparent sounding. Even the Silmic II (which only get 10~20 hours so far) sound more transparent to my ears.

We can agree, or at least I will, to disagree. I have heard many implementations of the Black Gates and have not heard them to be lacking in transparency. Audio Note UK has access to the finest capacitors in the world and have stated they are the best electrolytic ever made, to which I agree, until another one comes along that is better. I have used nonpolar directly in the signal path and still felt they were as good as anything I have heard and that goes from expensive teflon, silver, silver/gold and so on. The most transparent amp I have heard has all Black Gates. When they were available and I suggested Woo Audio try them they did and then added them as a option to their line, until they ran out. I still have a good store of them, and am glad I do. There are many on the market now that are counterfeits but I am sure yours are real. Maybe they got dried out but BG's seem to last longer than other electrolytic caps. 

Feb 18, 2014 at 8:47 PM Post #828 of 2,388
Never heard any Audio Note stuff before , nor does it matters. What matter is what I have heard on the E12DIY so far, and the BG certainly isn't impressing. Anyway, my BG comes from Parts Connecxion a few years ago.

Feb 18, 2014 at 9:55 PM Post #829 of 2,388
Parts C., is a good place, They bought out a lot of the last stock of Black Gate caps. They felt it was the best electrolytic ever made so they were sorry to see it go and wanted to stock up as much as possible. A while back I asked them if they had anything equivalent and they said there was nothing as good but some that will do, obviously.  

Feb 18, 2014 at 10:56 PM Post #830 of 2,388
I've spent more time with the E12DIY today and the LME49600 + OPA1611 combo is simply outstanding and the best of all combos I've tried so far. I'm yet to try DIP style op amps though... hoping OPA627AU is an end game so I don't need to start trying DIPs and therefore grinding down the case...

Feb 18, 2014 at 11:04 PM Post #831 of 2,388
Found some fun fact as I dig a bit up about BG over the internet - though there are reference saying that BG was invented as early as 1978/9, the US patent was issued in 1991. I thought the more reasonable time frame should have been mid to late 80's, which was the time BG's manufacturing began - or maybe there is a gap between the invention time and the production time. In any case, when BG was out of production by 2006 or so, it would have been 15 years since the patent issued and only 2 years before the patent expired (US patent issued before 1995 only get 17 years). I assume the JP patent (20 years) must be filed before or the same time as US patent, and therefore all patent related to BG should have expired at most 2011. Nothing to stop Rubycon or any manufacturer to bring back BG actually.

Feb 19, 2014 at 12:11 AM Post #832 of 2,388
Agreed. Best combo I've tried as well (tried it for a few days - OPA604 was better than AD8620 for me as well). I don't mind AD797 w/LME49600 as well, but AD797 is noticeably warmer than the others & I prefer the comparative 'neutralness' of the other two.

I've spent more time with the E12DIY today and the LME49600 + OPA1611 combo is simply outstanding and the best of all combos I've tried so far. I'm yet to try DIP style op amps though... hoping OPA627AU is an end game so I don't need to start trying DIPs and therefore grinding down the case...

Feb 19, 2014 at 12:25 AM Post #833 of 2,388
Agreed. Best combo I've tried as well (tried it for a few days - OPA604 was better than AD8620 for me as well). I don't mind AD797 w/LME49600 as well, but AD797 is noticeably warmer than the others & I prefer the comparative 'neutralness' of the other two.

The amount of detail and texture is breathtaking at times, but there's still really punchy, present bass. I previously liked the AD8599, but it pales in comparison to the OPA1611 in the E12DIY

Feb 19, 2014 at 12:42 AM Post #835 of 2,388
Yes, I tried the 1611 today and really like it. 
----------------

On the Black Gates, in the world of caps, Rubycon saw more money elsewhere. The holder of the patent lost interest and after his wife died, wouldn't allow anyone else to use the patent. 

If the patent did expire then I would assume someone with money might want to start them up again. I know that Audio Note UK has the money and if it was possible, they would do it. They did approach the patent holder a long time ago and he refused. Audio Note UK also brought back the tantalum resistors after they sadly stopped making them in Japan but used magnetic end caps, when messed up their sound. I only use NOS Japanese Tants but they are hard to find. I have the NOS tants in my fi.Q along with all Black Gates. 

Feb 19, 2014 at 1:58 AM Post #836 of 2,388
Really ? That (8599) was going on the order list. Maybe I shouldn't bother ? :wink:

It's nice and it's not expensive, but it's just not as good as the OPA1611 for my tastes. It has a thicker, tubey sound with a more intimate stage size.

Just noticed you're in Geelong. I'm hoping to arrange a meet soon (no specific plans yet though) so perhaps you can come hear it if you want. That said, it's cheap enough to just give it a go for the simple experience...

Feb 19, 2014 at 2:27 AM Post #837 of 2,388
Thanks for the lowdown on 8599 :) Yep, noticed it was cheap-ish so will still probably get it. And yeah, another trip to Melbourne wouldn't be entirely out of the question given the recent frequency of trips I've made to blow my hard earned on shiny portable audio gear :wink:

It's nice and it's not expensive, but it's just not as good as the OPA1611 for my tastes. It has a thicker, tubey sound with a more intimate stage size.

Just noticed you're in Geelong. I'm hoping to arrange a meet soon (no specific plans yet though) so perhaps you can come hear it if you want. That said, it's cheap enough to just give it a go for the simple experience...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back