FiiO E12DIY Limited Edition Version---DIY your own sound !
Jan 2, 2014 at 2:41 PM Post #526 of 2,388
How a bout shortening the pins on the muses in stead of grinding the conver of the E12 ? 
Found a muses02 locally to $41.-  Not in stock, but I don't mind waiting.  I guess they are rare here in denmark.  

Jan 2, 2014 at 10:03 PM Post #528 of 2,388
  How a bout shortening the pins on the muses in stead of grinding the conver of the E12 ? 
Found a muses02 locally to $41.-  Not in stock, but I don't mind waiting.  I guess they are rare here in denmark.  

Won't work. It isn't the pin but the bottom of the IC touching the top of the socket.

Jan 2, 2014 at 11:55 PM Post #529 of 2,388
  Just ordered a bunch of opamps / buffers:

Opamps: OPA627, NE5532, LME49860MA, ADA4627-1, AD8599, LT1358, LT1469, OPA1642.
Buffers: LT1010, HA-5002.

The 5002 is not a standard pin out so you need to use the adapter made by Brown Dog. Maybe you already know this but for others, they need to be aware of this or there will be problems somewhere and you don't want to burn something out in the amp. Xin made some nice adapters but of course, he is long gone. His have thicker traces than the Brown Dog but otherwise, the profile is about the same. 

Jan 3, 2014 at 12:59 AM Post #531 of 2,388
  The 5002 is not a standard pin out so you need to use the adapter made by Brown Dog. Maybe you already know this but for others, they need to be aware of this or there will be problems somewhere and you don't want to burn something out in the amp. Xin made some nice adapters but of course, he is long gone. His have thicker traces than the Brown Dog but otherwise, the profile is about the same. 

Thanks for the heads up. I already ordered the BrownDog adapter when I ordered the HA-5002, as I need a few more of their SO8-DIP8 adapter as well. The cheap eBay variants I got awhile ago won't work because their pins are too long and too fat to sit inside the rounded socket, and no way to trim them down. I will have to source some short PCB pins to get them to work, oh well.

Would be nice if BrownDog also has something like the side mounted dual-SO8-to-DIP8 adapter included with the E12DIY, as I am also running out of those very quickly. I don't suppose any one beside FiiO is making them....

Jan 3, 2014 at 5:47 AM Post #533 of 2,388
  any kind soul able to demo how we use the blank pcb board provide by fiio in e12diy? i am reading the manual but still dont know how should i place it :frowning2:

They are for you to try out other opamp / buffer that are not included with E12DIY. The first thing is to know how to solder, then find some suitable surfaced mounted opamp / buffer you want to try and solder them to the blank PCB, then use them on the E12DIY.

Jan 3, 2014 at 10:28 AM Post #535 of 2,388
Anybody tried this for the soic-dip8 converter?

http://www.diyinhk.com/shop/home/36-50pcs-soic-to-dip-8-convert-pcb-adapter-smd-opa627-narrow-2012-new-version.html

Jan 3, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #536 of 2,388
Anybody tried this for the soic-dip8 converter?

http://www.diyinhk.com/shop/home/36-50pcs-soic-to-dip-8-convert-pcb-adapter-smd-opa627-narrow-2012-new-version.html

The bid is for PCB only, it will work only if you have the right header pin install. Basically the pins must be the same kind (short and rounder) found on the blank PCB or BrownDog adapter.

Jan 3, 2014 at 8:22 PM Post #537 of 2,388

I took a look at LT1010 datasheet and notice the TO-220 package isn't pin compatible to to BUF634 / LME49600, so the buffer adapter can't be used. You will need to stick to DIP8 though clearance could be an issue and maybe more sanding is needed to clear the case. I tried a DIP8 on my buffer socket and it is a very tight fit in the case.

So a little OT.

Some years back I replaced the LT1010 with BUF634 in my old Adcom GFP-565 stereo preamp. We are talking about the big TO-220 package, here.

The pinouts were not the same, so I gently criss-crossed two of the leads on each chip so that the BUF634 could fit the circuitboard layout of the  LT1010.  Worked fine.

Of course, might be hard to do with the smaller package in the E12DIY.

I can't say how the sound changed on buffers alone because I also installed new OPA627s into the circuit.

The overall sound signature was musical, but generally a lot warmer, darker, and more opaque - too much so IMO.

Of course, I didn't give it much time to burn in before I moved on to something else, so maybe it would have cleared up some. This might give some insight into how OPA627 may sound with BUF634, however.

Jan 3, 2014 at 9:07 PM Post #538 of 2,388
The bid is for PCB only, it will work only if you have the right header pin install. Basically the pins must be the same kind (short and rounder) found on the blank PCB or BrownDog adapter.

Yeah, considering if you have both the header pins and the PCB, I wonder how this compares to the brown dog.

Jan 3, 2014 at 10:31 PM Post #539 of 2,388

So a little OT.

Some years back I replaced the LT1010 with BUF634 in my old Adcom GFP-565 stereo preamp. We are talking about the big TO-220 package, here.

The pinouts were not the same, so I gently criss-crossed two of the leads on each chip so that the BUF634 could fit the circuitboard layout of the  LT1010.  Worked fine.

I reckon for anyone who is handy, some of the legs on the TO-220 LT1010 can be trimmed off, then soldered to the right position using jump wire. Too much trouble for the E12DIY since DIP can be used.

Yeah, considering if you have both the header pins and the PCB, I wonder how this compares to the brown dog.

If you have the right head pins, then the only other thing to look for is the thickness of the PCB. You really won't want it to be too thick. A Brown Dog will be around 1mm. Otherwise they should be about the same.

Talking about header pin - I have some Mill Max 3137 coming in and hopefully they will fit. Might need some trimming though.

Jan 6, 2014 at 6:09 AM Post #540 of 2,388
I must say that it is the best sounding sound I ever had in a pair of headphones. And I don't even remember the current config. 
What will happen if one tried to connect a pair of HD800 ?........    

Users who are viewing this thread

Back