FiiO E12DIY Limited Edition Version---DIY your own sound !
Sep 13, 2013 at 11:00 PM Post #184 of 2,388
  Anyone thinking of pairing it with MUSES op-am ?

I already have all the MUSES (01/02/8820/8920) waiting.
biggrin.gif

Sep 14, 2013 at 12:03 AM Post #186 of 2,388
i am a newbie, care to supply a little more info?

Well, there are a lot of opamp out there but only a few are regarded as the best sounding (*debatable in some case, but let's make it simple and assume we have some consensus here). The MUSES series, or at least the MUSES01 and MUSES02, are marketed by JRC as the top-of-the-line audio opamp. The MUSES8820 and 8920 are marketed as the mass-production versions that are not as good as the 01 and 02, but still above average. Personally I'll agree the 01 and 02 are indeed excellent sounding. The 8820 and 8920 are however pretty normal, no better or worst than the more common OPA2134 or OPA2227.

The opamp included with the E12DIY are also highly regarded as well. Now you might wonder why FiiO doesn't include MUSES01 or 02? Well, the reason I think is simple. Because those two are one of the most expensive opamp around, costing $50 each, not to mention very hard to find (*authorized retailer requires minimum order of 100 chip, per order!).

Besides MUSES, I think another opamp on my must-try list is the OPA627.

Sep 14, 2013 at 5:31 AM Post #188 of 2,388
  what the difference between MUSES 01 and 02? Which can give better bass?

They are based on two different internal design, to put it simple. Both are actually very neutral.

Anyway, changing opamp doesn't equal to EQ. Though they have different sound due to how they behave differently in the same circuit, most of them don't give you extra / lesser bass in quantity.

Sep 14, 2013 at 6:32 AM Post #189 of 2,388
ClieOS is right. I own a DAC with a MUSES01 opamp and it's stunning. The instrument separation and wide soundstage is exactly what I was looking for. That being said its neutral without being too analytical. I've never tried the MUSES02 but I suspect that it will not be boomy in the lower region like the MUSES01.

Sep 14, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #191 of 2,388
  Hi ClieOS

Thanks for the explanation. And now the magic question can you pm me where to buy ? 
thanks

Not that I don't want to help you, I just don't know a relatively inexpensive and reliable place I can recommend to you. The MUSES I have are all from other amp, so technically I didn't buy them. The most reliable place to get real MUSES01/02 will be Audiotrak Korea, but they are pricing them $79 a pop + shipping. They make gears and use the opamp themselves, so there is no question of fake. Otherwise you have to risk it on eBay with the Chinese / HK seller, which could turn out to be fake.

Another fairly reliable way is to order them from Japan using forwarding service like Tenso.com + Rakuten. This is probably the cheapest since MUSES are cheaper in Japan.

Sep 14, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #192 of 2,388

They are based on two different internal design, to put it simple. Both are actually very neutral.

Anyway, changing opamp doesn't equal to EQ. Though they have different sound due to how they behave differently in the same circuit, most of them don't give you extra / lesser bass in quantity.

If they does not change the EQ, what does they do?

ClieOS is right. I own a DAC with a MUSES01 opamp and it's stunning. The instrument separation and wide soundstage is exactly what I was looking for. That being said its neutral without being too analytical. I've never tried the MUSES02 but I suspect that it will not be boomy in the lower region like the MUSES01.

What do you mean by "boomy in the lower region"

Sep 15, 2013 at 2:52 AM Post #194 of 2,388
  If they does not change the EQ, what does they do?

Think of opamp like an engine in a car. Better engine will give higher performance. EQ is more like a changeable drivetrain, allowing you to be either front-wheels drive, rear-wheels drive or 4 wheels drive, and sending more power to whichever wheel you want. In short. opamp is the heart of the circuit and affects the performance of the whole system. EQ on the other hand is about changing the quantity of frequency distribution, and doesn't necessary improves the quality.

is this limited edition version susceptible to emi like the fiio e12

EMI has a lot to do with the opamp used. With roll-able configuration, it is likely we will see different EMI susceptibleness with different opamp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back