FiiO E11 & E11K & A3 Information + Support
May 29, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #1,051 of 1,271
I bought one of these in January or so, the cable that came with it is broken already =/

Going to buy a Fiio L8 for now to replace. Anyone have any suggestions for a similar (but possibly better quality/durability) cable?

May 29, 2013 at 9:22 PM Post #1,052 of 1,271
Quote:
I bought one of these in January or so, the cable that came with it is broken already =/

Going to buy a Fiio L8 for now to replace. Anyone have any suggestions for a similar (but possibly better quality/durability) cable?

it depends, what are using the E11 with?

May 29, 2013 at 11:36 PM Post #1,053 of 1,271
Quote:
I also forgot to ask if the Fiio LOD Cable bypasses the iPod Amp when this cable is plugged in.

Depends on which of the cables you are referring to......they offer several.

May 30, 2013 at 1:58 AM Post #1,055 of 1,271
Quote:
The 3.5 to 3.5 LOD Cable. I'd hook it in to the headphone jack, and the other end into the "IN" port on the amplifier. Will that bypass the internal amp?

No, it won't....but in the case of you and your 7th gen Nano, that doesn't matter. Just set the volume of the Nano 3 or 4 clicks down from the maximum, and from there on control your volume with the E11.

May 30, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #1,057 of 1,271
Quote:
you need some thing like the fiio L9, or Fiio L3 to bypass the ipod amp.

But then I'd need to hook in a Lightning to 30pin adapter into my 7th Gen Nano in order for that to work since all the Fiio cables for idevices are 30pin. So in technicality, I'd need an adapter, then the Fiio L9 cable, hook the two into each other, then the 3.5 from the L9 into the "in" port of the amp, then my headphone 3.5 into the "out" port of the amp. This will bypass the iPod Amp?

May 30, 2013 at 11:34 PM Post #1,058 of 1,271
Quote:
But then I'd need to hook in a Lightning to 30pin adapter into my 7th Gen Nano in order for that to work since all the Fiio cables for idevices are 30pin. So in technicality, I'd need an adapter, then the Fiio L9 cable, hook the two into each other, then the 3.5 from the L9 into the "in" port of the amp, then my headphone 3.5 into the "out" port of the amp. This will bypass the iPod Amp?

Yes. But you're forgetting what ClieOs wrote in his article, that there was no audible benefit to doing all that. Simpler and just as effective  to use the 3.5-to-3.5 like I mentioned in my last post. 

Also, you never mentioned what headphones you are using...it's possible you may not even need the E11 at all.

May 31, 2013 at 1:17 AM Post #1,059 of 1,271
Didn't we have this discussion a week ago?

Let go through it again:

With Nano 7G, the headphone-out is as clean as the Line-out you get from Lightning adapter, even when you are double amping* the headphone-out (* = the means you are NOT bypassing the internal amp). This has been confirmed both subjectively (by listening) as well as objectively (measured by RMAA). Therefore, there is no reason whatsoever to use a Lightning adapter except to add more weight to the whole rig.

A 3.5mm to 3.5mm interconnecting cable (IC) is not going to bypass the internal amp of Nano 7G, but as explained, there is no need and no benefit to do so anyway. So using an IC and set the volume three steps lower from max will give you just as good a sound as using the Lightning adapter.

In short: SKIP the Lightning adapter. SKIP any LOD cable. Use just a 3.5mm-to-3.5mm cable: one end to the Nano 7G's headphone-out, the other to the portable amp's input!

May 31, 2013 at 1:39 PM Post #1,060 of 1,271
Quote:
Didn't we have this discussion a week ago?

Let go through it again:

With Nano 7G, the headphone-out is as clean as the Line-out you get from Lightning adapter, even when you are double amping* the headphone-out (* = the means you are NOT bypassing the internal amp). This has been confirmed both subjectively (by listening) as well as objectively (measured by RMAA). Therefore, there is no reason whatsoever to use a Lightning adapter except to add more weight to the whole rig.

A 3.5mm to 3.5mm interconnecting cable (IC) is not going to bypass the internal amp of Nano 7G, but as explained, there is no need and no benefit to do so anyway. So using an IC and set the volume three steps lower from max will give you just as good a sound as using the Lightning adapter.

In short: SKIP the Lightning adapter. SKIP any LOD cable. Use just a 3.5mm-to-3.5mm cable: one end to the Nano 7G's headphone-out, the other to the portable amp's input!

I was just hoping there was a way to bypass the internal amp. Yes I remember discussing this, I'm just having uncertainties because I'll be buying the amp today. I was also thinking of buying the Fiio E7 but I don't know how relevant the DAC will be, I don't know what switching from Digital to Analog would do for my music or how it'd effect it. Then I started thinking if a Fiio E7 was a wiser investment over the Fiio E11, but I don't know that either.

May 31, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #1,061 of 1,271
Quote:
I was just hoping there was a way to bypass the internal amp. Yes I remember discussing this, I'm just having uncertainties because I'll be buying the amp today. I was also thinking of buying the Fiio E7 but I don't know how relevant the DAC will be, I don't know what switching from Digital to Analog would do for my music or how it'd effect it. Then I started thinking if a Fiio E7 was a wiser investment over the Fiio E11, but I don't know that either.

What headphones are you using? It's possible you may not need the amp at all.

May 31, 2013 at 10:38 PM Post #1,062 of 1,271
Quote:

You want to bypass an internal amp and get to the line signal for two reasons: First, to get a cleaner signal. That means lowest possible SNR (Signal-to-Noise Ratio) and highest possible dynamic range. However, there is a limitation of how low noise can be and how much you can notice it. For example, going from 10% distortion (extremely bad) to 1%  (which is borderline HiFi) is a huge improvement, while going from 1% to 0.1% is still a big improvement, but going from 0.01% to 0.001% will most likely doesn't make any difference in the whole setup, even though they are all 10x improvement. In the case of Nano 7G, there is simple no much noise in the headphone-out to begin with, and to get the best possible dynamic range, you simple make sure the volume is set to very loud. The second reason is to remove any coloration that the internal amp section might have. In this case, again, the internal amp section is very clean and free of coloration.

Since you will neither get a cleaner signal (that you can hear) nor removing any coloration, the conclusion is obvious: getting the line-out from the Lightning adapter doesn't improve the sound.

BTW, the DAC in the amp (E7 in this case) doesn't do anything to the sound of Nano 7G. That DAC only works with USB from a PC. You are only using analog section of the E7 (the amp section). If you want to get a DAC that supports iDevice, prepare to pay around $500 or so.

Jun 1, 2013 at 12:46 AM Post #1,063 of 1,271
Quote:

You want to bypass an internal amp and get to the line signal for two reasons: First, to get a cleaner signal. That means lowest possible SNR (Signal-to-Noise Ratio) and highest possible dynamic range. However, there is a limitation of how low noise can be and how much you can notice it. For example, going from 10% distortion (extremely bad) to 1%  (which is borderline HiFi) is a huge improvement, while going from 1% to 0.1% is still a big improvement, but going from 0.01% to 0.001% will most likely doesn't make any difference in the whole setup, even though they are all 10x improvement. In the case of Nano 7G, there is simple no much noise in the headphone-out to begin with, and to get the best possible dynamic range, you simple make sure the volume is set to very loud. The second reason is to remove any coloration that the internal amp section might have. In this case, again, the internal amp section is very clean and free of coloration.

Since you will neither get a cleaner signal (that you can hear) nor removing any coloration, the conclusion is obvious: getting the line-out from the Lightning adapter doesn't improve the sound.

BTW, the DAC in the amp (E7 in this case) doesn't do anything to the sound of Nano 7G. That DAC only works with USB from a PC. You are only using analog section of the E7 (the amp section). If you want to get a DAC that supports iDevice, prepare to pay around $500 or so.

Very informative. Thanks bro. I won't ask again.

Jun 8, 2013 at 2:34 PM Post #1,064 of 1,271
Selling my FiiO E11 + L9 LOD cable for iPod. It's not getting much use anymore.

PM me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back