FiiO E11 & E11K & A3 Information + Support
Jan 20, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #811 of 1,271
Does anyone know if I'll have a problem pairing the E11 with the Music Streamer II for awhile until I can afford a desktop amp. I know someone said they had clipping with the E9 and MS2 I've e-mailed HRT and asked the DAC board but haven't had a response. Thanks. 

Jan 20, 2012 at 1:28 PM Post #812 of 1,271
I just received my E11 today and I'm really enjoying it but I've got a question.
What's the switch inside the amplifier where the battery is located? It has high power and low power written on it. And what is it for?
And can I directly charge the E11 directly through the wall socket?

Jan 20, 2012 at 5:11 PM Post #813 of 1,271
Question for the E11 users (and any other amp users).  I have one on the way but thought of a question.  I will be using this in conjunction with an HTC Evo 3D (Android smartphone) and my UE TripleFi 10 IEMs.  I have noticed that with some of the music that I listen to, off of Google Music particularly, there is a "hiss" in the background.  Obviously it is most noticeable during low/quiet parts of the music, but it is there.  As best I know, there is not an LOD output available like for the iPhone, so I'm plugged in to the headphone jack directly.  I do, however, have a Jabra Clipper that I usually use at work with my crummy headphones at work or when I run with my exercising headphones.  If you aren't familiar, you can Google it, but it is basically a Bluetooth device with a headphone output, so you can turn any headphones in to Bluetooth headphones (also make/receive calls, control media, etc.).  The real beauty is that the Clipper doesn't have the hiss at all.  That said, the sound is a little flat.  Will it be to my benefit to connect to my phone via the Clipper, then plug the Clipper in to the E11, then out of the E11 to the TF10's?  I suppose a comparison is the only REAL answer, but figured I'd throw out the question while I waited on the amp to show up.

Hope that all made sense.

Jan 20, 2012 at 5:38 PM Post #814 of 1,271

Quote:
I just received my E11 today and I'm really enjoying it but I've got a question.
What's the switch inside the amplifier where the battery is located? It has high power and low power written on it. And what is it for?
And can I directly charge the E11 directly through the wall socket?

The switch inside is exactly what it says - a power switch for regulating power output.  It's almost like a second gain switch.  Will help really hard to drive headphones - but comes at the expense of battery life.  Just keep it on low power unless you really need to change it.

And yes - you can charge from a wall adaptor - I've used mine.

Jan 20, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #815 of 1,271

Quote:
It depends largely on how hiss prone your headphone is. If it is very hiss prone (i.e. SE530, some custom IEM), then you will hear hissing.

Thanks ClieOS, then the hiss just might be because of me using a cheap and nasty pair of earphones (UE something) whilst I wait for my reshells to come back. I was just cautious because someone earlier in the thread said that a very 'strong' hiss was apparent even with optimal settings and he/she had to get a replacement. Amazing review by the way
normal_smile%20.gif

Jan 21, 2012 at 1:26 AM Post #817 of 1,271

Quote:
The switch inside is exactly what it says - a power switch for regulating power output.  It's almost like a second gain switch.  Will help really hard to drive headphones - but comes at the expense of battery life.  Just keep it on low power unless you really need to change it.

And yes - you can charge from a wall adaptor - I've used mine.

Thanks! I thought it was a voltage regulator switch. It comes at high power on default so I think I'll keep it there at the moment.

My Shure SE425 also hiss but it's not a very loud hiss, it doesn't affect the music at all.. It's almost the same hiss as listening directly through my iPod Touch.

Jan 21, 2012 at 1:57 AM Post #818 of 1,271
It is actually a kind of voltage switch, just not directly to your headphone but to the opamp. It regulates how much voltage is supplied to the opamp so it can either be in lower performance (but longer battery life) mode or high performance (but shorter battery life) mode.

Jan 21, 2012 at 3:27 AM Post #819 of 1,271

I'm new to the whole headphone/portable audio scene...in the process of putting together some funds for a Meier Corda Jazz + BeyerD T1 combo...in the meantime I added the Fiio E11 to my iPod (7thgen 160gb) and some Etymotic IEMs with Comply foam tips (really helps with the low end!). I have to say, I was skeptical about whether this amp would make any difference, but so far I'm very happy with it. This little portable system sounds great, and it's far more revealing and transparent than I would have imagined. My music files are almost all in ALAC format, and the compressed overproduced tracks stick out like a sore thumb. My Iron and Wine cuts sound SO much better than anything from Foo Fighters...I didnt' expect that. But this little Fiio is a winner. It's much smaller than I thought, it charges up in less than 2 hr, and the sound is very impressive. Bypassing the crappy amp in the iPod is the way to go!

Jan 27, 2012 at 12:08 AM Post #821 of 1,271
Do I really need a LOD to make this amp sound better? Have the Fiio e11 and I just use the 3.5mm jack and sounds fine to me. How much of a change will it have if I use the LOD?

Jan 27, 2012 at 7:59 AM Post #824 of 1,271
Has anyone ever had issues ordering from micca before? I ordered my E11 at the beginning of the week and it sat in processing for days. I had to email them twice before it shipped but never did receive a response from my email. I was ecstatic to see that the item finally shipped but its via USPS which is terrible. For Fed Ex or UPS a shipment from VA to my location is 1 day. It has been 3 days that USPS has had my package and its finally in my state but still nowhere near my city. And USPS really wonders sometimes why UPS and Fed Ex aren't in the same boat they are? 
wink.gif

/rant 
tongue_smile.gif

Jan 27, 2012 at 11:06 AM Post #825 of 1,271
I decided to also ask this here since the ZO2 thread is a little dead.

I'm new with amps since I've been only researching the E11 and ZO2 for about a month.

I had a few questions if anyone has had both the E11 and ZO2:

Now I'm wondering about the E11 vs. ZO2. My ZO2 takes a while to ship.

The reason is that I have lots of bass; and even EQ'd it to more than I was happy with. Even crazier, I can even EQ my Clip+ to have even more. The only thing is that I think I'm pushing it over the limit, which is another thing I'm concerned with. See: http://www.head-fi.org/t/592742/did-i-destroy-the-right-side-driver-on-my-hfi-580-because-of-massive-bass

My main questions were:
1. Since I can get to the point of distortion bass-wise, do I even need the ZO2?

2. Would the ZO2 it somehow make that distortion point even higher meaning I can squeeze out even more bass with the ZO2 w/o distortion? Or is the max bass limited on the driver/headphones?

3. Would I blow my driver with that much bass?

4. Is the sound quality noticeably better with the ZO2 over the E5 amp?

5. Is the sound quality noticeably better with the E11 over the ZO2? Because if bass is limited to what the headphone driver can handle, then I should be going for sound quality over bass quantity.

6. The E11 having 3 levels of bass boost? What setting on the E11 would the E5 with bass boost on be equal to?

7. How is the battery life on the ZO2 vs. the E11?

Quote:
Question for the E11 users (and any other amp users).  I have one on the way but thought of a question.  I will be using this in conjunction with an HTC Evo 3D (Android smartphone) and my UE TripleFi 10 IEMs.  I have noticed that with some of the music that I listen to, off of Google Music particularly, there is a "hiss" in the background.  Obviously it is most noticeable during low/quiet parts of the music, but it is there.  As best I know, there is not an LOD output available like for the iPhone, so I'm plugged in to the headphone jack directly.  I do, however, have a Jabra Clipper that I usually use at work with my crummy headphones at work or when I run with my exercising headphones.  If you aren't familiar, you can Google it, but it is basically a Bluetooth device with a headphone output, so you can turn any headphones in to Bluetooth headphones (also make/receive calls, control media, etc.).  The real beauty is that the Clipper doesn't have the hiss at all.  That said, the sound is a little flat.  Will it be to my benefit to connect to my phone via the Clipper, then plug the Clipper in to the E11, then out of the E11 to the TF10's?  I suppose a comparison is the only REAL answer, but figured I'd throw out the question while I waited on the amp to show up.

Hope that all made sense.

Hey man is that your Porsche in your avatar?!
My Porsche is my avatar!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back