FiiO E11 & E11K & A3 Information + Support
Oct 5, 2011 at 5:26 AM Post #751 of 1,271
Can anyone who has heard the RSA Shadow give me a comparison between these two? I've heard many great things about the Shadow and just curious if that extra $300+ can be justified

Oct 5, 2011 at 5:40 AM Post #752 of 1,271
I've owned both the Shadow and E11 in the past, though not at the same time. From memory I would say the E11 has a darker sound, with strong bass and perhaps a little more grain. The Shadow is quite punchy and cleaner sounding to my ears.

The E11 is an exceptional amp for the asking price and IMO the law of diminishing returns kicks in very hard after the FiiO. So I would say no, the RSA is not worth the extra outlay. More a case of whether or not you enjoy the sonic signature of the E11. There are many other amps to consider if you're looking at the Shadow - such as the TTVJ Slim, Leckerton UHA-4, Headstage Arrow for starters.

Oct 5, 2011 at 5:53 AM Post #753 of 1,271
Thanks for the comparison. Interesting as I thought the Shadow would have a darker sound. So do both amps have similar sonic signatures then? I assumed the law of diminishing returns would kick in hard in this case, but is this because the E11 is such a great value or because the Shadow is no longer competitive with newer portable amps being released? 

I've also looked at the TTVJ Slim and Arrow but it's the Shadow's size that really intrigues me.  

Quote:
I've owned both the Shadow and E11 in the past, though not at the same time. From memory I would say the E11 has a darker sound, with strong bass and perhaps a little more grain. The Shadow is quite punchy and cleaner sounding to my ears.

The E11 is an exceptional amp for the asking price and IMO the law of diminishing returns kicks in very hard after the FiiO. So I would say no, the RSA is not worth the extra outlay. More a case of whether or not you enjoy the sonic signature of the E11. There are many other amps to consider if you're looking at the Shadow - such as the TTVJ Slim, Leckerton UHA-4, Headstage Arrow for starters.

Oct 5, 2011 at 6:48 AM Post #754 of 1,271
I don't recall the Shadow sounding quite as dark as the E11. I sold both amps a while ago. Like I said the Shadow did seem more transparent to my ears, but the E11 puts up a tough fight all things considered. I haven't tried any of the more recent FOTM portable amps, so cannot comment if the Shadow is still competitive.

Oct 5, 2011 at 11:48 AM Post #755 of 1,271
My E11 has just arrived and is charging. Hope it meets the expectations this thread has given me 

Oct 5, 2011 at 11:55 AM Post #756 of 1,271
Enjoy, it's a veritable bargain. I have a JDS Labs cMoy v2.03 on the way at the moment. Interested in hear how it compares to it's main competition - the E11.

Oct 5, 2011 at 3:58 PM Post #757 of 1,271

Quote:
Do you plan to release iDevice (iPod/iPhone/iPad) compliant DAC products like the Cypher Labs AlgoRhythm Solo (i.e. iDevice-compliant  "D5")?
Thanks. 

Quote:
We have the ability , but the licence is a big problem , we had apply the MFI since 2009, but after 2 years, Apple still not give us the licence, I guess they don't trust Chinese brand.

Apparently, Apple has just changed their policy.
Any good news on your side?

Quote:
Just received an email back from iBasso.  I was inquiring about their plan for a product that combine their iBasso DB2 and Cypher Labs Solo.  A balanced portable DAC that will take digital out from an iPod.
Here's there reply.
"Hi,Thank you for your email.We will release the iPod transport product in 2012." SincerelyiBasso Audio

http://www.head-fi.org/t/574693/ibasso-ipod-transport-coming-in-2012

Oct 6, 2011 at 3:00 AM Post #758 of 1,271

Quote:

Apparently, Apple has just changed their policy.
Any good news on your side?

Actually getting a license and making an Apple compatible product are two different issue. You don't really need an license to make an iDevice, just that you can't put 'licensed by Apple" on it. FiiO is an official Apple accessories maker so they are bond by contract to apply for license or else they will lost their partner status.

Oct 6, 2011 at 12:47 PM Post #759 of 1,271

Quote:
Enjoy, it's a veritable bargain. I have a JDS Labs cMoy v2.03 on the way at the moment. Interested in hear how it compares to it's main competition - the E11.

I've tried it on my three ipods with my Denon and JVC inner ears and my AKG 501s and I'm very pleased with it. Really glad that I got the line out too as there is a marked difference between that and the headphone out cable. I need a line out for my old Sony to try that although it sounds better with just the cable. The soundstage is wider and the sound warmer yet I'm hearing greater detail and the increase in power is astounding. For forty quid this has got to be the best little amp there is, Its like hearing some tracks for the first time the detail is so much better 

Oct 6, 2011 at 11:04 PM Post #760 of 1,271
Just got a FiiO E11 and I was wondering if there's any tip's or things i should know? (this is my first amp) i'll be using it on a Pair of Sennheiser IE8 and Audio Technica ATH-PRO700 monitor's

Oct 7, 2011 at 7:25 PM Post #761 of 1,271
just got my Fiio E11. Still charging and can't wait try it with my PRO 900.
basshead.gif

Oct 12, 2011 at 12:39 AM Post #763 of 1,271
just out of curiousity, what headphones are those? Anyway, had my fiio e11 for around 2 months now. Its a great portable amp that actually changes the sound of my headphones quite alot. Its not an 'upgrade' for me but a sidegrade. depends if i wan a more balanced and fun sound or a cold and brighter sound. using it with my FA-003 btw.

Quote:
overall...Pretty Kickass portable amp,Sound is fuller,Bass has more punch...I feel like a live Concert is playing anywhere i walk :)

I Love my purchase :) with the Cowon j3

g

Oct 18, 2011 at 4:27 AM Post #764 of 1,271
Damn this amp is a wonder for those who only had a smartphone with an underpowered vol. as soon as u plug in the input and output, the kick straight and hit ur ears right away. its a matter of listening by yourself then u can describe it. for me the punch was really impressive as soon as i plug into my Samsung Galaxy SII (i belive those those people who purchase this phone has trouble listening to good quality music - not sure why but probably they only have a small amp due to a very slim phone, as soon as i plug into the Fiio E11, boom my AKG Q350 becomes a wonder. the bass, treble all goes up more than 2x the original volume level. superb. btw i try the E6 too, well its cute but the punch was just not perfect, E11 really way two thumbs up
basshead.gif

Oct 18, 2011 at 5:34 AM Post #765 of 1,271
Anyone have problems with cell phone signal interference with their e11? I find that mine makes very loud noises every time its put near a phone. I find that a pretty big flaw when I usually put my DAP and phone in the same pocket...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back