FiiO E11 & E11K & A3 Information + Support
Sep 22, 2015 at 3:11 PM Post #1,249 of 1,271
I have owned the E11 for about 18 months and I use it with my ipod classic 160gb + Fiio L9 adapter + Klipsch x10 earbuds. I absolutely need noise isolation when I'm listening at work, on trains or planes. Since I need isolation (I don't want ANY coworkers hearing ANYTHING coming out of my setup!!!!!), I opted for the e11 because of the price. I love it except the battery life. The A3 (updated E11) is supposedly better, so I am considering an upgrade because of the poor E11 battery life.

Sep 22, 2015 at 4:13 PM Post #1,250 of 1,271
I have owned the E11 for about 18 months and I use it with my ipod classic 160gb + Fiio L9 adapter + Klipsch x10 earbuds. I absolutely need noise isolation when I'm listening at work, on trains or planes. Since I need isolation (I don't want ANY coworkers hearing ANYTHING coming out of my setup!!!!!), I opted for the e11 because of the price. I love it except the battery life. The A3 (updated E11) is supposedly better, so I am considering an upgrade because of the poor E11 battery life.

Has your E11's battery life always been poor? I found that over time, it did get worse. However, I replaced it with another Nokia BL-5B and it was back to how it started again. It is now well over 2 years old, covered in dents, marks and scratches and it is just as good as it used to be. Considering your E11 is the age that it is, you prabably would notice that getting a new battery does seem to make it last longer. It will also depend on the amount you have recharged it since you got it. The more you have, the more worn the battery can become. This can shorten it's preformance. The E11 battery is so cheap and easy to replace that you may as well try that first. The new E11 (A30) battery is not replaceble which I would consider to be a small disadvantage.

Sep 22, 2015 at 4:24 PM Post #1,251 of 1,271
Has your E11's battery life always been poor? I found that over time, it did get worse. However, I replaced it with another Nokia BL-5B and it was back to how it started again. It is now well over 2 years old, covered in dents, marks and scratches and it is just as good as it used to be. Considering your E11 is the age that it is, you prabably would notice that getting a new battery does seem to make it last longer. It will also depend on the amount you have recharged it since you got it. The more you have, the more worn the battery can become. This can shorten it's preformance. The E11 battery is so cheap and easy to replace that you may as well try that first. The new E11 (A30) battery is not replaceble which I would consider to be a small disadvantage.

The battery life has always been about 4-5 hours so it's consistent. I do not listen very loud at all.. I barely go to 2 on the volume since it pushes my X10s very well.

The E11 would be perfect if I could just keep it hooked it up to a USB charger (I use it while listening to the ipod at my desk). Is there anything of comparable quality (or even better) that is both portable but gives me the option to use while it charges?

Sep 23, 2015 at 4:28 AM Post #1,252 of 1,271
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nokia-BL-5B-Battery-Fits-Others/dp/B0006N2DJM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1442996426&sr=8-2&keywords=nokia+bl-5b

It really is worth trying this out. Don't get the really cheap ones as they probably won't be a genuine Nokia BL-5B battery. I use my E11 on number 3 - 4 and even higher sometimes and it lasts 7 hours + normally. I even have it on high gain all the time. I really do think that yours will have come with a poor battery to start with. It will be worth trying out a new battery first before spending a lot more money on a new amplifier. However, I do agree that working while charging is an advantage.
When my battery got to as low as 4 hours, it was then that I replaced it and it then went back to being at least 7 hours.
The A3 will allow charging while working but still, I reccomend buying a replacement battery for your E11 first. I have even left my E11 on most of the day by mistake several times even when the volume was high. It seemed to stay on the whole time which was way more that 4 or 5 hours.

Edit:
I will also add that the replacement battery I got was a slightly higher capacity which was another advantage.

Sep 23, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #1,253 of 1,271
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nokia-BL-5B-Battery-Fits-Others/dp/B0006N2DJM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1442996426&sr=8-2&keywords=nokia+bl-5b

It really is worth trying this out. Don't get the really cheap ones as they probably won't be a genuine Nokia BL-5B battery. I use my E11 on number 3 - 4 and even higher sometimes and it lasts 7 hours + normally. I even have it on high gain all the time. I really do think that yours will have come with a poor battery to start with. It will be worth trying out a new battery first before spending a lot more money on a new amplifier. However, I do agree that working while charging is an advantage.
When my battery got to as low as 4 hours, it was then that I replaced it and it then went back to being at least 7 hours.
The A3 will wllow charging while working but still, I reccoment buying a replacement battery for your E11 first. I have even left my E11 on most of the day by mistake several times even when the volume was high. It seemed to stay on the whole time which was way more that 4 or 5 hours.

Edit:
I will also add that the replacement battery I got was a slightly higher capacity which was another advantage.

Thanks for the advice! I think I will get a new battery and see if that fixes the problem. Part of me wanted a new amp just for the sake of getting something new, but I really love the size of the E11, as well as the performance.

Oct 16, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #1,254 of 1,271
With the E11K out, is it still worth getting the E11? I don't really have a crazy set-up (just a LG Flex and V-Moda M100, sadly my iPod classic stopped working) and I know the M100s doesn't necessarily need an amp, but I had the E11 for a while (had 2, but both shorted on me) and I got used to having an amp. But with the E11k out I don't know if I should get the E11.

Oct 16, 2015 at 6:28 PM Post #1,255 of 1,271
  With the E11K out, is it still worth getting the E11? I don't really have a crazy set-up (just a LG Flex and V-Moda M100, sadly my iPod classic stopped working) and I know the M100s doesn't necessarily need an amp, but I had the E11 for a while (had 2, but both shorted on me) and I got used to having an amp. But with the E11k out I don't know if I should get the E11.

Well I think I have had mine for over 3 years. It is covered in dents and scratches but it still works fine. I replaced the battery once the life started to get short and it now lasts longer again.

The new E11k doesn't have a replaceable battery and it doesn't have a 3 position bass boost switch. There are several advantages to me about the original. I wouldn't want to get the new one. The sound and build quality probably ill be a bit better though. I just really dislike the design on the new E11k. The volume dial at the front but the headphone output AND the input on the opposite side to the dial. Very strange design and not very practical for portable use in my opinion. If you wanted the volume control at the top of your pocket, you would have to have your headphone cable plugged into the bottom. if it is in your pocket, the cable would get pretty damaged if it wasn't a right angled jack. If you had the input and output at the top of your pocket, then the dial would be very awkward to get to. 

If you buy used, the E11 will be cheaper but if you have had issues, maybe don't get one again. mine has been very reliable. I would want to get another E11 I think if this one dies. Might be hard to find though if it lasts so long.

This is my opinion of the E11k. I think the build especially will be a very noticeable improvement. To me though, it is so different, I can't even think of it as a replacement of the E11k. The shape and everything on it seems to have got moved about or changed.

Oct 16, 2015 at 8:15 PM Post #1,256 of 1,271

Well I think I have had mine for over 3 years. It is covered in dents and scratches but it still works fine. I replaced the battery once the life started to get short and it now lasts longer again.

The new E11k doesn't have a replaceable battery and it doesn't have a 3 position bass boost switch. There are several advantages to me about the original. I wouldn't want to get the new one. The sound and build quality probably ill be a bit better though. I just really dislike the design on the new E11k. The volume dial at the front but the headphone output AND the input on the opposite side to the dial. Very strange design and not very practical for portable use in my opinion. If you wanted the volume control at the top of your pocket, you would have to have your headphone cable plugged into the bottom. if it is in your pocket, the cable would get pretty damaged if it wasn't a right angled jack. If you had the input and output at the top of your pocket, then the dial would be very awkward to get to. 

If you buy used, the E11 will be cheaper but if you have had issues, maybe don't get one again. mine has been very reliable. I would want to get another E11 I think if this one dies. Might be hard to find though if it lasts so long.

This is my opinion of the E11k. I think the build especially will be a very noticeable improvement. To me though, it is so different, I can't even think of it as a replacement of the E11k. The shape and everything on it seems to have got moved about or changed.

I've noticed that the E11k doesn't come with the 3 position bass boost switch. This is a bummer for me since I liked playing around with it when I had my E11. I'm hesitant of getting another E11 not only because the E11K is out (the improved SQ and build caught my eye) BUT also because I've had bad luck with E11s. Both units (not the battery) shorted on me and neither didn't last a year (PS: they were both new and unused when I bought them). 

Nov 9, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #1,257 of 1,271
Hi

I've had my E11 for a couple of years, I've used it with my iPod Classic and MDR 1R and XB700 through the L9 cable. Recently I purchased a Fiio X1 and a pair of Sennheiser Momentum in-Ear. I always turn the amp with very low volume and then the player (with the line out option on), then I proceed to slowly turn the volume up until it is comfortable. However there is a point (right between the 1 and 2 in the volume knob of the amp) where the volume is louder in the left. When I pass this point, the volume seems to get stable and both sides sound the same. I can only hear this difference with the Momentums, since the 1R and XB700 are bigger and I can't really hear anything when the volume is that low, and I don't think that could be a problem with the Momentums because when I use them directly on the X1 with the headphone out on, the volume seems to be equal on both sides all the time.

The problem here is that since I noticed that, I feel that the sound is louder on the left side, but I can't really hear a difference, maybe I'm biased, but I would like to know if this is normal, and if the difference in volume really happens only at that low volume (maybe because some internal component) or if it really is constant at any volume level.

Any thoughts?

Nov 9, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #1,258 of 1,271
  Hi

I've had my E11 for a couple of years, I've used it with my iPod Classic and MDR 1R and XB700 through the L9 cable. Recently I purchased a Fiio X1 and a pair of Sennheiser Momentum in-Ear. I always turn the amp with very low volume and then the player (with the line out option on), then I proceed to slowly turn the volume up until it is comfortable. However there is a point (right between the 1 and 2 in the volume knob of the amp) where the volume is louder in the left. When I pass this point, the volume seems to get stable and both sides sound the same. I can only hear this difference with the Momentums, since the 1R and XB700 are bigger and I can't really hear anything when the volume is that low, and I don't think that could be a problem with the Momentums because when I use them directly on the X1 with the headphone out on, the volume seems to be equal on both sides all the time.

The problem here is that since I noticed that, I feel that the sound is louder on the left side, but I can't really hear a difference, maybe I'm biased, but I would like to know if this is normal, and if the difference in volume really happens only at that low volume (maybe because some internal component) or if it really is constant at any volume level.

Any thoughts?

I have the exact same issue but the right side is a little louder when at that volume. I'm not sure if the X1 has low and high gain but if it does, have it on low. Also have the E11 on low. If you haven't done this already, it will help as you will need to turn the dial up further. Turning it up higher will sort the channel balance issue out.

I have many amplifiers that have this problem when they are powering headphones or speakers that are very loud and easy to drive. This much more likely to be a problem if you have a dial though. When the volume is almost as low as possible, this often will be the case if your headphones are loud enough to notice on such a low volume.

Also, I don't think you will need to turn the volume of your X1 down as the built in amplifier won't be in use if you are using the headphone out as a line out. That is if it works in a similar way to the X3. My X3 lasts much longer on battery if I use my E11 though the line out even if the volume of the X3 itself is left very high. The built in amplifier won't be in use unless headphones are plugged in I think.

With your X1, if you can switch the same port from being a powered headphone socket to a line out then I would assume it would disable the amplifier so it would extend the battery life of the X1.

I am sure your problem with the volume isn't unusual at all with sensitive headphones. More expensive amplifiers will often do a better job at preventive this issue at low volumes. Sometimes, unplugging everything from your amplifier and turning the dial all the way up and down to off several times can sort out the issue. It probably won't stop it from ever happening again though. It helps sort the issue out with my E11 sometimes. It is worth trying.

Nov 10, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #1,259 of 1,271

I have the exact same issue but the right side is a little louder when at that volume. I'm not sure if the X1 has low and high gain but if it does, have it on low. Also have the E11 on low. If you haven't done this already, it will help as you will need to turn the dial up further. Turning it up higher will sort the channel balance issue out.

I have many amplifiers that have this problem when they are powering headphones or speakers that are very loud and easy to drive. This much more likely to be a problem if you have a dial though. When the volume is almost as low as possible, this often will be the case if your headphones are loud enough to notice on such a low volume.

Also, I don't think you will need to turn the volume of your X1 down as the built in amplifier won't be in use if you are using the headphone out as a line out. That is if it works in a similar way to the X3. My X3 lasts much longer on battery if I use my E11 though the line out even if the volume of the X3 itself is left very high. The built in amplifier won't be in use unless headphones are plugged in I think.

With your X1, if you can switch the same port from being a powered headphone socket to a line out then I would assume it would disable the amplifier so it would extend the battery life of the X1.

I am sure your problem with the volume isn't unusual at all with sensitive headphones. More expensive amplifiers will often do a better job at preventive this issue at low volumes. Sometimes, unplugging everything from your amplifier and turning the dial all the way up and down to off several times can sort out the issue. It probably won't stop it from ever happening again though. It helps sort the issue out with my E11 sometimes. It is worth trying.

Hi

I always use the amp on low power and low gain, the X1 do not have the option to adjust the gain, so I use the line out option and use the amp to adjust the volume.

I'll give it a try to your recommendation of turning the volume up and down, I hope it helps.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back