FiiO E11 & E11K & A3 Information + Support
Aug 5, 2011 at 2:34 AM Post #707 of 1,271

Quote:
Does it also hiss as much with no input?

Yes, it still hisses that much. My TF10's have silver cables. I'll try the stock cables tomorrow and report back, but I can't imagine the silver cables causing so much extra sensitivity. The silver shouldn't really affect anything, so I don't think that's the reason I have so much more hissing than you do.

Aug 5, 2011 at 10:25 PM Post #710 of 1,271

Quote:
OK, even with stock cables it hisses the same amount.

Yeah, cable shouldn't make a difference. As I said before, I get almost no hiss on E11 with TF10. Have you tried low power mode?

Aug 5, 2011 at 10:27 PM Post #711 of 1,271

Quote:
Yeah, cable shouldn't make a difference. As I said before, I get almost no hiss on E11 with TF10. Have you tried low power mode?

Yep, I'm on low power and low gain mode. No difference at all in any of the combos. With the bass boost off, the hiss is noticeable but can be overlooked. The problem is I'd like to use EQ1 but the hissing is unbearable and covers up the music.

Aug 5, 2011 at 11:16 PM Post #712 of 1,271

Quote:
Yep, I'm on low power and low gain mode. No difference at all in any of the combos. With the bass boost off, the hiss is noticeable but can be overlooked. The problem is I'd like to use EQ1 but the hissing is unbearable and covers up the music.

If the hiss is that loud, I think you might have a defective unit.

Aug 5, 2011 at 11:52 PM Post #713 of 1,271

Quote:
If the hiss is that loud, I think you might have a defective unit.

Uh oh. 
mad.gif

I did find it weird that it was so loud as the PA2V2 was dead silent with my IEM's. Guess I'll email Head-Direct and ask for a replacement.

Aug 6, 2011 at 12:29 AM Post #715 of 1,271

Quote:
Does the E11 come with a cable and a recharger? 

If by 'a cable', you mean a 3.5mm to 3.5mm interconnecting cable, then yes. No charger, just an USB cable and you can recharge the amp via USB port.

Aug 6, 2011 at 12:38 AM Post #716 of 1,271

Yea, that's what I meant. 
I'm stuck between the E11 and PA2V2.

I'll need to spend a little more on the PA2V2 because the 240V mains will kill the stock charger it
comes with, so that makes the price on the PA2V2 just slightly higher than the E11.

But that's not my main concern. My main concern is quality control, because it seems that some
E11s are defective and their life expectancy isn't very very long compared to PA2V2.. 
Quote:
If by 'a cable', you mean a 3.5mm to 3.5mm interconnecting cable, then yes. No charger, just an USB cable and you can recharge the amp via USB port.

Aug 6, 2011 at 12:56 AM Post #717 of 1,271

Quote:
But that's not my main concern. My main concern is quality control, because it seems that some
E11s are defective and their life expectancy isn't very very long compared to PA2V2.. 

Lemon happens. I have one of the first E11 and it still work perfectly fine. FiiO already sold at least a thousand E11 just for the first batch, so even a mere 1% defective rate you will still see 10 people complains about it. Compare that to PA2V2 or any other amp manufacturer that sell less than one thousand for the whole year, of course you will find more people posting about FiiO than others.

Aug 6, 2011 at 1:17 AM Post #719 of 1,271

Quote:

Can you advise on the build quality, and sound quality, endurance (how long before having to recharge) or the E11?

I won't comment on sound quality as the hissing does interfere when really focusing on the music (easy to overlook when using music as background noise). I also can't comment on the bass boost as that was unusable. 

The build quality is quite decent. All the switches feel sturdy. The aluminum panels are pretty thin and you can see some mild warping but it's not noticeable. The knurled knob is also nice.

Stock, the battery is about 10 hours. I've drained it completely a couple of times just by forgetting to recharge it overnight. I got a 2050 mah battery off ebay (stock is 800 mah) and haven't been able to run down the battery yet, charging it once in two days.

I'll probably end up returning my E11 to help fund another headphone purchase. If you do go with the E11, and depending on where you live, I can send you the bigger battery for free.

Aug 6, 2011 at 1:18 AM Post #720 of 1,271

Quote:

Can you advise on the build quality, and sound quality, endurance (how long before having to recharge) or the E11?

IMO the build quality is really good and it is quite compact.  You can read my thoughts on the sound quality here:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/556783/fiio-e11-review-and-comparison-e7-amp-section-only
I've found it quite a clean warm signal - and it has a lot of power.  Bass boost is nice because it seems to be particularly targeted to the bass only (unlike the E7 which IMO leaks into the mids) 

I haven't yet drained mine - but from both the specs and also my use over the last couple of months, you should get at least 10 hours from a full charge.

I'm thoroughly enjoying mine.  It was a great buy for the money.

BTW - I haven't experienced any hissing on either my IEM's or cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back