FiiO E1 + E7 (speculation-no-more) *now guest-starring: E9
Nov 30, 2009 at 4:33 PM Post #241 of 622
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some update:

A black edition E1 will be released on the next batch.

Excellent. Looks like I'll wait for this to pop up then.
biggrin.gif

Nov 30, 2009 at 5:04 PM Post #242 of 622
Would it be worth holding out to buy the E7 when it's released or buying a different amp instead now?

It would be to use with what's listed in my sig for on the go use mainly - as an upgrade to my current Fiio E5.

I've looked at current amps and narrowed it down to the Mini3, iBasso T2/T4 or some type of Cmoy variation.

Would the E7 outperform those above and cost more or less then them also?

Thanks a lot if you know anything, I'll be following this E7 though till it's released

EDIT - Nobody could say if this E7 is better than the other amps yet I guess since we don't have one to compare against anything (until a test unit makes it's way to someone on here) but just purely based on specs alone - does it seem like it could outperform an iBasso T2 for example?

As the Fiio E3 and E5 were more like "starter" amps as a basic introduction to portable amping, I wonder if these new ones are more set in line to compete with the more serious portable amps

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If it was $60 or $70 for an E7 and something like 85% of the SQ of a Nuforce mobile icon that would be a dream price/performance cost, as that would make the E7 £30-45 here and the icon £115-135

Nov 30, 2009 at 6:03 PM Post #243 of 622
FiiO makes cool looking products...wish they designed higher end things.

Nov 30, 2009 at 9:11 PM Post #245 of 622
Quote:

Originally Posted by bcpk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The E9 doesn't have a DAC. As far as I know, it takes an unamped analog signal from the iPod/E7 dock and uses its own amping circuitry. The E7 does have a DAC which is why it will accept digital input via USB. It also has an amp so it can be used alone, or it can be paired with an E9 which presumably has a better amp. If you want to output a converted digital signal through the E9's amp then you will have to go through an E7's DAC or the one in the source device.

So the route would be

PC -> USB -> E7 DAC -> E9 Amp -> 3.5mm/RCA phono out.

or

PC Soundcard -> 3.5mm unamped line-out (if it has it) -> E9 amp -> 3.5mm/RCA phono out.

That's my understanding of it anyway
jecklinsmile.gif

oh! that makes perfect sense.

Dec 1, 2009 at 10:06 AM Post #246 of 622
Wow, can't wait to get my hands on that sexy E7. After all the success with E5, I bet E7 will be a miniature monster.

Dec 1, 2009 at 4:53 PM Post #247 of 622
Looks promising... Need an iPod dock, and a new DAC, and lugging my Headroom Micro Amp AND a DAC to my Dads when I went to stay sucked, so this would be perfect! At home, i'd use them together at the desk, and E9 with iPod, probably for bed, and when at Dads, just the E7 with an LOD cable, or the laptop USB. Perfect. Now, how much for the pair though?
tongue.gif
- Under $120 would be superb.

Now, do I go for a Nuforce Icon Mobile for now, and see what the E7 and E9 reviews are like, or just wait and spring on release?
tongue.gif

Oh, and shame about the Black E1! Just ordered a white one 2 weeks ago! Should be here soon! Ahh well, i'll sell it and get a black one from DX when I can get one. Can't wait to try it though! So handy, inconspicuous, and great!

Matt

Dec 1, 2009 at 5:15 PM Post #248 of 622
Quote:

Originally Posted by Baines93 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now, how much for the pair though?
tongue.gif
- Under $120 would be superb.

Do you mean £120? Projected price is more like $200 ...

Dec 1, 2009 at 5:18 PM Post #249 of 622
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedSky0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So would the E1 be considered a successor to the E5 in terms of sound quality or is it a more compact version of it that sacrifices it instead?

I don't think its a successor anymore than it is a inferior product.
The sound feels more refine and it is an option for Ipod users without the need to buy a LOD.

What the E5 lacks the E1 makes up for it, vice versa.
E5 bass boost - E1 Ipod controls/mini remote.

Dec 3, 2009 at 7:39 AM Post #250 of 622
the E7 can't come soon enough! i'm in the market for an ultra-portable DAC/amp combo and i cant wait to see what this will be like.

i'm really curious as to what changes they made to the internals, are there any details about this? was the DAC chip changed? or maybe the amp?

also, are there any details or guesses as to which DAC chip will be used?

Dec 3, 2009 at 7:51 AM Post #251 of 622
If the prices are decent, I might end up getting both.

Although I'll probably start with the E7, then when I feel like upgrading get the E9.

Oh, I can't wait!

Dec 3, 2009 at 8:10 AM Post #252 of 622
Quote:

Originally Posted by EraserXIV /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'm really curious as to what changes they made to the internals, are there any details about this? was the DAC chip changed? or maybe the amp?

also, are there any details or guesses as to which DAC chip will be used?

The amp section is unchanged. As announced before, the opamps for pre-amp / power amp will be the same as E1 / E5, but beef up for better performance since they don't have to worry too much about space on the PCB anymore. Also, one of the main reason for using the same opamps set is because they feel that this pair of opamp have a rather good value / performance ratio that they can get better result without jacking up the price (for more high end opamps).

For the USB DAC section, a Texas Instrument's PCM2706 will be handling the USB while a Wolfson DAC will handle the decoding. The change is mainly on the DAC chip, from the previous choice of WM8729 to the more mainstream WM8740 (like on Pico and iBasso D4, etc).

Dec 3, 2009 at 9:17 AM Post #254 of 622
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For the USB DAC section, a Texas Instrument's PCM2706 will be handling the USB while a Wolfson DAC will handle the decoding. The change is mainly on the DAC chip, from the previous choice of WM8729 to the more mainstream WM8740 (like on Pico and iBasso D4, etc).

Oh wow, that's really good news! I'm especially stoked about getting a quality DAC chip like the WM8740 at this price point. I think this is going to be my next Amp/DAC if they can keep prices at the rumored < $80.

It'll be interesting to see how this stacks up to the Ibasso D2+ Boa, Nuforce Icon Mobile, Headroom Total Bithead, and apparently Nuforce is coming out with a new Amp/DAC around the same time as the E7 so it'll sure be interesting these coming weeks.

EDIT: since you said the amp section is the same, i'm assuming the opamp will still be the OPA2338UA?

Dec 3, 2009 at 10:17 AM Post #255 of 622
Quote:

Originally Posted by EraserXIV /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EDIT: since you said the amp section is the same, i'm assuming the opamp will still be the OPA2338UA?

The amp section is not the same (as E1 / E5), but the opamps are the same. OP2338UA for pre-amp and TPA6130A for power amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back