FiiO E1 + E7 (speculation-no-more) *now guest-starring: E9
Dec 8, 2009 at 2:55 AM Post #271 of 622
Quote:

Originally Posted by bcpk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's a pity. Maybe you could convince him to let us see some E7 / E9 production shots to make the waiting easier?
biggrin.gif

E9 has not made it to the prototyping stage yet, so there probably won't be any picture to show. But I am going to get an E7 from its pilot production and it will be the same as the final (1st batch) production run. Hopefully it will arrive before x'mas and I'll be able to review it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by EraserXIV /img/forum/go_quote.gif
shucks. are we looking at early January, late January, or even early February?

January is most likely, but it all depends on how fast the TI shipment arrives on FiiO factory. The good news is, the delay gives they extra time to play with the final design, so they are thinking about upgrading the original OLED screen to a slightly better resolution at the moment, but it shouldn't further delay the final production.

Quote:

Originally Posted by xuan87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
man that sucks. this means the E9 will be delayed even more!

Not by much. The E7 internal design is almost finalized. They should be able to start the E9 R&D on schedule.

Dec 8, 2009 at 1:49 PM Post #272 of 622
What a pitty, I already filled my paypal account...

@ClieOS: Can you please ask them, how the DAC will get his digital signal? I can imagine that the E9 will have a digital input too, so I was asking myself how this signal will be transported to the E7: like coax, or i2c.

Dec 8, 2009 at 2:31 PM Post #273 of 622
Quote:

The E9 doesn't have a DAC. As far as I know, it takes an unamped analog signal from the iPod/E7 dock and uses its own amping circuitry. The E7 does have a DAC which is why it will accept digital input via USB. It also has an amp so it can be used alone, or it can be paired with an E9 which presumably has a better amp. If you want to output a converted digital signal through the E9's amp then you will have to go through an E7's DAC or the one in the source device.

So the route would be

PC -> USB -> E7 DAC -> E9 Amp -> 3.5mm/RCA phono out.

or

PC Soundcard -> 3.5mm unamped line-out (if it has it) -> E9 amp -> 3.5mm/RCA phono out.

^ from a few pages back

Dec 8, 2009 at 3:52 PM Post #274 of 622
yeah, but this would not look nice, if you have to plug in a cable on top of it -> this would no look nice.

I added a sketch in the attachment, wich should ilustrate how ugly this would look. That is why I believe that ther is a digital plug in the E9.

Dec 8, 2009 at 4:23 PM Post #276 of 622
In the picture where the E9 is shown, there is also indicated that it is possible to pu ton the ipod. This means that the E7 will have the same connector like the ipod.

I thought, there should nt be a second dac in the E9, but that it just routs a cable from the digital in plug in the E9 to some pins of the E7.

If that is true, than maybe we have a second digtilal plug, besides the usb one.

Dec 8, 2009 at 6:23 PM Post #277 of 622
E7 will have a similar dock as iPod / iPhone, but with some of the different pin out to support future functions that are not supported by iPod dock. The official name is 'FiiO dock'.

If you plug the USB cable into E9 without E7 connected on top, nothing will happen. E7, via FiiO dock, acts as the DAC module for E9. E9 does not come with any DAC of its own. Without E7, E9 can only be used with analog line-in (or with iPod / iPhone feeding line-out from iPod dock).

Vice versa, when E7 is docked onto the E9, it will convert the digital signal coming from the USB port on E9 via the Fiio dock, then feed the line-out signal back to E9 amp section via the FiiO dock (using the same route as an iPod would)

Note: E7, as well as E9 (with E7 docked), only takes analog-in (including iPod dock) and USB-in.

Dec 11, 2009 at 3:12 PM Post #278 of 622
I just got more photos update from FiiO. The E7 shown here will be very close to the final version (I was told the final version will be better looking). Also, the will only be black color model (anodized aluminum housing). The buttons are full metal with highly polished glossy surface. So far the included accessories will be 1) decent quality 20cm 3.5mm-to-3.5mm interconnecting cable (not shown here), 2) soft pouch with velvet-like surface (similar to those in picture, but mod'ed for the amp) 3) rubber band (also similar to the one on the E5 in picture, but mod'ed) and 4) a good quality 120cm USB cable.

E7-01x.jpg

E7-02x.jpg

E7-03x.jpg

acc-1.jpg
acc-2.jpg
acc-3.jpg

Dec 11, 2009 at 4:30 PM Post #279 of 622
My E1 should be coming in today
smily_headphones1.gif
. I'll try it out with my iPhone 3G along with my SE530, PFE's, PK2 and ADDIEMs and report on how I find the sound to be, plus how they deal with RFI (I suppose at the worst case, I can wrap it in tin foil since it's so small in the first place anyway!
biggrin.gif
)

Dec 11, 2009 at 6:19 PM Post #282 of 622
Where: Head-Direct and MP4Nation probably will have it, but it really depends on the individual dealer to decide whether they want to carry the E7 or not.

When: The production will start as soon as FiiO get their chips from the delivering company, then we have to wait for the product to reach the dealer. My guess is, the 2nd or 3rd week of January - if we are lucky.

Price: No final price yet. My guess is around $80.

... and don't worry about the availability. I was told that the number of E7 in first batch alone is going to be more than some companies's at least half a year worth of amp production, quantity wise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back