FiiO E09K and E07K
May 9, 2014 at 5:47 AM Post #61 of 107
I have an AKG Q701, its impedance is 62 Ohms. As mentioned in your review, the E09K is not so good with headphones with impedance that is below 80 ohms. so shall i get the e09k or the e07k for my q701? 

I personally uses it for my Annie which have same impedance as Q701 and similar driver. They work perfectly IMO. As long as the impedance vs frequency graph is straight, there's no worries about pairing it with the E09K. just to clarify.

Billson :)

May 9, 2014 at 6:15 AM Post #62 of 107
I have an AKG Q701, its impedance is 62 Ohms. As mentioned in your review, the E09K is not so good with headphones with impedance that is below 80 ohms. so shall i get the e09k or the e07k for my q701? 

That's just a rule of thumb, it's not set in stone, the Q701 doesn't have wild impedance swings.
I used to have an E09K, it worked quite well with my Q701s.
I'd recommend it.

Keep in mind the E09K does not have a DAC, but the 07 does.

May 9, 2014 at 6:20 AM Post #63 of 107
That's just a rule of thumb, it's not set in stone, the Q701 doesn't have wild impedance swings.
I'd recommend it.

Thank you Chris :)

May 9, 2014 at 7:54 AM Post #64 of 107
I'd recommend it.

Thank you very much Chris!!
bigsmile_face.gif

I also happen to have a Beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium 32 ohm version. Therefore, the beyer also works with the Fiio right?
Oh, I bought an E07K along with the E09K. I was gonna get the E17, but I don't need the extra features so I decided to get the E07K!
Thanks!

May 10, 2014 at 8:17 AM Post #65 of 107
Thank you very much Chris!!:bigsmile_face:
I also happen to have a Beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium 32 ohm version. Therefore, the beyer also works with the Fiio right?
Oh, I bought an E07K along with the E09K. I was gonna get the E17, but I don't need the extra features so I decided to get the E07K!
Thanks!

Hey, congratulations!
You won't have any problems with the 32 Ohm DT 990 and the E09K! :xf_eek:

May 10, 2014 at 9:45 PM Post #66 of 107
Btw, does anyone know the true use of the fiio L7? I hear about people using it to connect it to their laptop and mobile phone, but doesn't the amp work with a mobile phone without it and the DAC work with computers without it?

May 10, 2014 at 10:33 PM Post #67 of 107
Btw, does anyone know the true use of the fiio L7? I hear about people using it to connect it to their laptop and mobile phone, but doesn't the amp work with a mobile phone without it and the DAC work with computers without it?

The L7 is a line out adapter; it gives you an output that is line level instead of amplified so you can use it strictly as a DAC for some other audio device. It simply bypasses the headphone amp portion.

May 14, 2014 at 10:21 PM Post #71 of 107
This isn't really a comparison between the Magni/Modi and E17/E09K (i know that this page is about the E07 and E09K, but at least i have one of them). Just wanted to point out that more people here on Headfi should consider Magni and Modi separately; the same company making two products designed to be used together doesn't mean they actually do work well together.

I first bought the HD600, then i bought the Magni/Modi combo. Then i noticed a big difference (not placebo for sure) between:

Onboard sound (ALC892 from Asus Z87-a mobo) -> Magni :
bass relatively weak, some details harder to pick up from songs compared to the other two, music not as lively

Modi -> Magni:
Bass was sweet and controlled and highs were good, detail was good; sound stage seems to be the worst out of the 3 though(felt very constricted and vocals were coming as if close to the back of my ear)

Xonar DX -> Magni:
Soundstage best of the 3 (relatively spacious), but the highs were piercing.

Obviously I wasn't very happy with the Schiit purchase but I don't want to return them because of the shipping + 15% fee, and also I was trying to convince myself that the Modi/Magni combo should sound the best because most people on head-fi say so.

Just a week ago I bought the FiiO E09K and E17 from a local store that I can return with 5% restocking fee and I have to say
The Schiit Magni isn't as amazing as everyone says, but the Modi should't be tied to it because the Modi by itself is great.  Don't be offended if you own a magni and absolutely love it. I'm just saying this because the Magni was claimed to work well with pretty much everything, and it didn't for my HD600. In fact, it was pretty bad for me (definitely not placebo, I don't need a blind test to hear the differences I was hearing)

Trying things out with E09K and E17 at my disposal

Cannot distinguish between: (even if i think i can, I am not confident that it is not due to placebo)
Modi -> E09K -> HD600
E17 -> E09K -> HD600
Xonar DX (when it doesn't suffer from slight buzzing noises when my GPU is running 100%) -> E09K -> HD600
and they all sound best out of the possible combinations i have (good bass and treble (not piercing), warm, and good sound stage)

Xonar DX -> Magni -> HD600: piercing highs

Cannot distinguish between:
Modi -> Magni -> HD600
E17 -> Magni -> HD600
Very constricted soundstage and slightly brighter than Modi -> E09K -> HD600...etc, but bass and mids are good

Conclusion (TL;DR):
Magni doesn't work well with my Modi and HD600 OR I have a defective Magni.
Modi -> Magni -> HD600 and E17 -> Magni -> HD600 both gave me sound that was very bright and the vocals feel like they were coming slightly behind my ears (constricted sound field)

If it is not defective, then I suspect that's the aggressive or bright nature that these reviewers are describing of the Magni: http://www.head-fi.org/products/schiit-magni

Either way, I have learned my lesson of spending money doesn't mean that it will give me better sound. Since I had no way to do a blind test, every time that I think the Magni was giving me worse sound I would try very hard to convince myself it's just placebo (I know it's the opposite of what most people here would experience, since I am thinking Magni gave me bad sound) and it made my days hell. Thank you Schiit for giving me the good schiit and bad schiit.

Also as mentioned before, Just wanted to point out that more people here on Headfi should consider the Magni and Modi separately more; the same company making two products designed to be used together doesn't mean they actually do work well together.

The Schiit Magni and Modi and FiiO E17 and E09K (Monoprice RCA cables and Audioquest Forest USB cable for connecting computer to the DACs)

Sennheiser HD 600 with stock cable

May 14, 2014 at 11:14 PM Post #72 of 107
I ordered an O2 + ODAC as a replacement for my E07K since it will take a few months to be repaired (and I probably need a desktop amp anway). I shall soon see how it compared with the E07K with my K702's, which are universally regarded as hard to drive.

May 20, 2014 at 7:55 PM Post #74 of 107
Hey Billson! I just got my E07K and E09K today! They work fine. I have question about the lo bypass feature of the E07K. so what exactly does it do? if the lo bypass feature is used to disable the amp of the E07K, then why can't I use the EQ adjust also? Thanks for answering my noob question. 

May 21, 2014 at 12:08 AM Post #75 of 107
  Hey Billson! I just got my E07K and E09K today! They work fine. I have question about the lo bypass feature of the E07K. so what exactly does it do? if the lo bypass feature is used to disable the amp of the E07K, then why can't I use the EQ adjust also? Thanks for answering my noob question. 

having the stuff yet don't know how to use it properly is the biggest tragedy....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back