FiiO E07K ANDES Review and Help Thread
Sep 26, 2013 at 12:05 AM Post #993 of 1,676
S4 you said? Ummmm.... I didn´t read it properly... I don´t think the E07K will work with the S4. I think the S4 only works on E17 as stated some time ago.

Definitely, but again, the first one is the international version and the second one is the US variant from T-Mobile. If it works for the US variant of the Note II high chances are it will work for the US variants of the SIII. And I am going to repeat here what Fiio already said some time ago:

As a general rule Fiio potentially works as follows:
Fiio E07K ---> 4.1.x (it usually works with these Android devices: Note II and SIII)
Fiio E17   ---> 4.2.x (SIV)

Sep 26, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #995 of 1,676
Agree, it's worth it. Just remember it has to be OTG on the micro USB side. If you get a notification on your bar saying that an OTG cable was identified and it doesn't work, then it is the E07K.

Sep 27, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #996 of 1,676
Well, I went ahead and ordered the cable from ebay.  It is a $7 gamble, so if it doesn't work I won't lose  too much.

Plus you can use that cable to hook up a USB Flash Drive, Wireless Mouse/keyboard, etc... to it. Even if the DAC does not work.

Oct 7, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #997 of 1,676
Just got an E07K as a replacement for an E7 that I lost and i'm really disappointed. 

Wanted to ask a couple of questions before I return it. 

1) This unit doesn't bypass the windows audio mixer by default like the E7 did. Any way to fix this? And no, using Foobar or ASIO4All isn't a "fix" for something that used to work properly with no drivers needed. 

2) This unit is significantly less powerful than the E7 when connected to a PC as source. "10" volume on the E7 was as loud as "12" volume WITH 12db of gain selected on the E07K. I thought this was an upgrade? 

What gives?

Oct 7, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #998 of 1,676
  Hi
I am going to get the sennheiser HD 598's and i want to use a FiiO E07k or an E10, my question is first of all is this a good combo? (my first good headphones) and will the E07k perform well if always connected to the PC and used as a desktop DAC/Amp ;long hours of use (will the battery be affected by that). also is the E10 any better than the E07k in sound quality. the thing is that where i live the E07k is only about $15 more than the E10 ($95 & $80) so the portability and analog audio in is a benefit for an acceptable extra. another thing i know this might not be the right thread for but is the beyerdynamics DT990 Pro 250 ohms any good compared to the HD598's as the 598's are overpriced here (around $300) and i could find the DT990 Pro at a more realistic price. I am willing to spend the money but just to make sure :)
Thanks ,,
bigsmile_face.gif

You might consider getting the HD558's as they cost much less and the differences in SQ are very slight, they have the exact same driver. Unless you like the styling of the HD598, you can get the HD558 and if you wish there's a simple modification for removing some internal rubber pads that increases the soundstage. This takes a few minutes and is easy to do. I have done this and the resulting sound is much like my HD600's and so close to the HD598 that you might not be able to tell the difference other than the placebo effect. The HD558 is very easy to drive (50 Ohms) and unlike the HD600 can be driven rather nicely directly by your DAP or just about any decent amp.
EDIT: The HD598 is just as easy to drive as the HD558.

Oct 7, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #999 of 1,676
  Just got an E07K as a replacement for an E7 that I lost and i'm really disappointed. 

Wanted to ask a couple of questions before I return it. 

1) This unit doesn't bypass the windows audio mixer by default like the E7 did. Any way to fix this? And no, using Foobar or ASIO4All isn't a "fix" for something that used to work properly with no drivers needed. 

2) This unit is significantly less powerful than the E7 when connected to a PC as source. "10" volume on the E7 was as loud as "12" volume WITH 12db of gain selected on the E07K. I thought this was an upgrade? 

What gives?

1) FiiO made it so that you can use computer to manipulate the 'volume' due to consumers complaining. Most audiophiles would prefer something like E7 where audio volume on computer is locked. But many consumers that bought FiiO devices don't know this stuff and complained. That has since become like this.

2)No it is not. E07K is rated at >250 mW @ 16 ohms and E7 is at 150mW @ 16 ohms.

Oct 7, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #1,000 of 1,676
I believe you that the E07K has a greater output rating, however I just switched an E7 out for an E07K and noted those volume differences. So the only thing that I can come up with as a contributing factor is the fixed volume that the E7 had. But even that doesn't square the issue, because it should be the same if I just set windows volume to max. 

There is a distinct difference in volume between "I set the volume to max in Windows" and "The device told windows to disable the volume control altogether". 

If there's a difference, then there's a difference and something is being done differently. If the entire windows audio mixer isn't being bypassed, then at least the volume stage is, and that's something. 

Just for the sake of clarity, I screencapped Fidelify running with the E07K set as the ASIO device, with music playing, windows volume control still works. There's literally no way to bypass it. Double volume control whether you like it or not. I'd like to extend a hearty thanks to the retards who complained about this "bug" to Fiio persistently enough for them to change the device so that now the volume can be adjusted from their mouse, car, cell phone or hovercraft. 

Oct 16, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #1,002 of 1,676
Well, I have used my Fiio E07k for a few weeks and now I become disenchanted with it.  In the beginning, I bought the unit to improve the sound coming from my iPod classic and it did just that but only by a small amount.  I even bought a LOD cable which improved the sound the most but still not enough for me.  I really wanted to use the DAC on the E07k and bypass the Apple DAC but that does not seem possible.  Later, I thought I could pair the E07k with my Galaxy S4 by using a cable which I quickly realized became fruitless.  

The good news is that I am staying with the Fiio family and decided to purchase a Fiio X3.  I really like the idea of having a dedicated player that can play hi-res music and has an expandable storage capability.  It should arrive tomorrow and I am looking forward to it.  

Oct 19, 2013 at 5:11 AM Post #1,005 of 1,676
Can I leave the E07K connected to my computer all the time as a dedicated AMP/DAC? Wont it be charging and using the battery all the time? How do I get it to just run off USB power?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back