FiiO E07K ANDES Review and Help Thread
Jun 18, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #826 of 1,676
Great then, should had known that before I guess.
I've been reading a lot, apparently 24 bits dacs can't really pull off the volume range of 24 bits so it's more marketing than the real stuff? I mean, no real benefit for playback neither. So I guess I won't be downloading any more crap in 24 bits.

Would you say there is a benefit from oversampling (even if it's not possible to hear)? And if so, I've tried it with PPHS resampler from DSP options in foobar, but I can't get the 88khz to work, so I'm using it with 44.1khz files to 96khz... Is that optimal? or is there another way? I've read somewhere there might be an improvement but I can't find any thread that explains why.

Also, I understand the gain is digital? So, using at max should (maybe) elevate the noise floor right?
I'm having a hard time trying to find a reason not to return it, I mean, I thought at least the laptop wasn't able to properly drive a 150 ohm headphone, but I guess I was wrong (and it's a really old dell M1210).

I'm sorry if this is not the place to ask all this, I would appreciate if you could tell me where should I do it.

Jun 18, 2013 at 9:23 PM Post #827 of 1,676
Quote:
Great then, should had known that before I guess.
I've been reading a lot, apparently 24 bits dacs can't really pull off the volume range of 24 bits so it's more marketing than the real stuff? I mean, no real benefit for playback neither. So I guess I won't be downloading any more crap in 24 bits.

Would you say there is a benefit from oversampling (even if it's not possible to hear)? And if so, I've tried it with PPHS resampler from DSP options in foobar, but I can't get the 88khz to work, so I'm using it with 44.1khz files to 96khz... Is that optimum? or is there another way? I've read somewhere there might be an improvement but I can't find any thread that explains why.

Also, I understand the gain is digital? So, using at max should (maybe) elevate the noise floor right?
I'm having a hard time trying to find a reason not to return it, I mean, I thought at least the laptop wasn't able to properly drive a 150 ohm headphone, but I guess I was wrong (and it's a really old dell M1210).

I'm sorry if this is not the place to ask all this, I would appreciate if you could tell me where should I do it.

It depends on the DAC But pulling off volume range of 24 bit? 

Bit Depth means how many 'levels' you have to work with for audio. The resolution basically. Following a LPCM chart of a near sine wave. Sample Rate and Bit Depth work togehter as the numbers get higher to 'perfect' the recreation of the digital LPCM signal into an analog one. 

Here at Head-Fi. We say Schiit! :) It's an audio brand and its fun to say. 

Yes there is. Oversampling will generally increase the 'sharpness' of the song as it is artificially trying to recreate the digital signal into a more accurate analog one by increasing the sample rate by many many folds. The difference is there, but like most things, its hard to hear.

Gain is generally not digital in the sense that its fake and is just another fancy digital calculation for artifically raising the volume(think raising the volume past 100% on your PC programs). The Gain is generally the output buffer op- amplifier(depends) in an unit.

Jun 18, 2013 at 9:55 PM Post #828 of 1,676
What I mean about the 24 bits volume range is this:
24bit-vs-16bit-the-myth-exploded

About the oversampling, my question was: should I do 44.1@96 or 44,1@88 (which I read was better somewhere, because it's a multiple, 2 times). But it seems the E07k doesn't support it?

And about the gain, are you saying it actually uses an output buffer on the opamp? So, that would mean it's analog right? which is not the same as over 100% volume haha Sorry I don't get it.
Correct me if I'm wrong but over 100% volumes do it digitally "upping" the volume of the sample, Is that what this thing does or does it do it through a circuit?
Thanks for the answers!

Jun 18, 2013 at 10:09 PM Post #829 of 1,676
Quote:
What I mean about the 24 bits volume range is this:
24bit-vs-16bit-the-myth-exploded

About the oversampling, my question was: should I do 44.1@96 or 44,1@88 (which I read was better somewhere, because it's a multiple, 2 times). But it seems the E07k doesn't support it?

And about the gain, are you saying it actually uses an output buffer on the opamp? So, that would mean it's analog right? which is not the same as over 100% volume haha Sorry I don't get it.
Correct me if I'm wrong but over 100% volumes do it digitally "upping" the volume of the sample, Is that what this thing does or does it do it through a circuit?
Thanks for the answers!

Many long time members avoid the sound science section of the forums(my own bias). The stuff there isn't wrong. But it leaves so much to personal interpretation and all that.

It's best to go with the 48/96/192's rather than the 44.1/88.x/172./. I forgot the reason, but this of course is also personal interpretation.

Also, its

44.1 @16bit or 24bit

44.1KHz falls in line with the 96KHz and 88.6KHz factors you were doing :)

Sample rate @ Bit Depth 
bigsmile_face.gif

Most gains are at the analog stage. DAC outputs a line level output, and then depending on amp design. It uses multiple op amps for gain, coloring etc etc.

It's a line level signal

Jun 22, 2013 at 5:10 AM Post #831 of 1,676
Hmm, I can't decide what to do. Very recently I picked up a laptop 2nd hand (great hardware for the price paid) but it turns out the headphone jack is screwed or at least my ears says so as it's quite wrong that the internal speakers produce better sound and more bass than using headphone jack with any of my headphones even the fart cannons XB500. While I got 2 months warranty I'm not sure I wanna query with the guys to see if I could get a new laptop (I mean it's a bit awkward situation and the hardware in this particular comp is otherwise quite fine with Core i3 2.4GHz, 6GB RAM, HD 6550 1GB gfx card, 17" screen etc. and paid like 380€).

That makes me concider picking up a cheap USB DAC even though I'm very unsure if I will use that laptop all that often as I usually use a much more powerful and overclocked desktop comp. Anyway FiiO E07K quickly seemed like a very nice option due to the features it packs like bass boost and treble control. What I'm wondering though is:

- Can it be used as an amp only? I mean can I connect it to another source (soundcard) without getting screwy output. If so I may have some use for it with the other computer too.
- I suppose it's one of the better options for the price, also I thought it was interesting with 2 headphone jacks, I suppose it's possible to connect two different headphones at the same time to it and get sound to both? If so it makes for a convenient way to A/B 2 different headphones.

Jun 22, 2013 at 5:36 AM Post #832 of 1,676
Yes you can use it as an amp only, and yes you can use it to A/B 2 headphones at the same time. Thats one of the things I love about this little thing. I got to A/B my fxz's against my corecools,  without having to worry about losing quality by using a cheap splitter.

Jun 22, 2013 at 10:35 AM Post #833 of 1,676
Hmm, I can't decide what to do. Very recently I picked up a laptop 2nd hand (great hardware for the price paid) but it turns out the headphone jack is screwed or at least my ears says so as it's quite wrong that the internal speakers produce better sound and more bass than using headphone jack with any of my headphones even the fart cannons XB500. While I got 2 months warranty I'm not sure I wanna query with the guys to see if I could get a new laptop (I mean it's a bit awkward situation and the hardware in this particular comp is otherwise quite fine with Core i3 2.4GHz, 6GB RAM, HD 6550 1GB gfx card, 17" screen etc. and paid like 380€).

That makes me concider picking up a cheap USB DAC even though I'm very unsure if I will use that laptop all that often as I usually use a much more powerful and overclocked desktop comp. Anyway FiiO E07K quickly seemed like a very nice option due to the features it packs like bass boost and treble control. What I'm wondering though is:

- Can it be used as an amp only? I mean can I connect it to another source (soundcard) without getting screwy output. If so I may have some use for it with the other computer too.
- I suppose it's one of the better options for the price, also I thought it was interesting with 2 headphone jacks, I suppose it's possible to connect two different headphones at the same time to it and get sound to both? If so it makes for a convenient way to A/B 2 different headphones.

Yes and yes. Matching "volume" with two headphones will be a bit hard to do though.

For first question, fiio L7 adapter plugs into the bottom of andes to allow you to use another amp. And the andes as a dac. OR you can use it as its own amp through AUX input

Jun 24, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #834 of 1,676
I'm purchasing a Schiit Asgard 2. Is there a DAC only mode on the E07K that can be used with other standalone amps? I'm debating on using this instead of grabbing a cheap DAC like the Schiit Modi.

Jun 24, 2013 at 2:42 PM Post #835 of 1,676
Quote:
I'm purchasing a Schiit Asgard 2. Is there a DAC only mode on the E07K that can be used with other standalone amps? I'm debating on using this instead of grabbing a cheap DAC like the Schiit Modi.

Yes, you need the L7 Adapter from FiiO

It lets you use the Andes as a DAC and any other amp you want.

If you already own the ANDES, this is a good way. If you havent bought the ANDES yet. I recommend teh Modi.

Keep in mind that the output of the L7 (analog) is 3.5mm. So you need a cable that is male 3.5mm on one end and whatever the input method on the Asgard 2 is. Probably RCA I would expect.

Jun 24, 2013 at 3:49 PM Post #837 of 1,676
Quote:
Yes, you need the L7 Adapter from FiiO

It lets you use the Andes as a DAC and any other amp you want.

If you already own the ANDES, this is a good way. If you havent bought the ANDES yet. I recommend teh Modi.

Keep in mind that the output of the L7 (analog) is 3.5mm. So you need a cable that is male 3.5mm on one end and whatever the input method on the Asgard 2 is. Probably RCA I would expect.

Quote:
I just got the L7 for my E07K and I am using it with a JDS Labs O2 amp and I am very happy with the sound.

Yeah, already own the Andes and now it's collecting dust. Trying to find a good use for it right now and I do have a need for a DAC on my home rig. How do you guys generally feel about underutilizing this portable device as a standalone desktop DAC? How do you think it performs next to something like the Modi or Bifrost?

Jun 24, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #838 of 1,676
Quote:

Yeah, already own the Andes and now it's collecting dust. Trying to find a good use for it right now and I do have a need for a DAC on my home rig. How do you guys generally feel about underutilizing this portable device as a standalone desktop DAC? How do you think it performs next to something like the Modi or Bifrost?

No idea on Modi, but similar maybe

The WM8740 and its implementation in the ANDES is quite good.

Since you already own it, why not use it? The L7 is $8. I think Micca has free shipping? Maybe

Most can't hear a difference while others can. My friend owns a DAC with the AKM4396 used in the Modi and we built a DAC with a CS4398. He personally said he couldn't tell them apart. So it's really up to some.

Jun 24, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #839 of 1,676
Quote:
No idea on Modi, but similar maybe

The WM8740 and its implementation in the ANDES is quite good.

Since you already own it, why not use it? The L7 is $8. I think Micca has free shipping? Maybe

Most can't hear a difference while others can. My friend owns a DAC with the AKM4396 used in the Modi and we built a DAC with a CS4398. He personally said he couldn't tell them apart. So it's really up to some.

No problems using it at all. I think really my bigger, somewhat related question is, "If I can use this little device, why would I ever have the need to upgrade to a standalone DAC that could be hundreds or thousands of dollars?"

Jun 24, 2013 at 5:13 PM Post #840 of 1,676
Quote:
No problems using it at all. I think really my bigger, somewhat related question is, "If I can use this little device, why would I ever have the need to upgrade to a standalone DAC that could be hundreds or thousands of dollars?"

Same reason pro's use thousand dollar instruments and what not

Some people can hear the difference and will pay for it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back