FiiO E07K ANDES Review and Help Thread
May 12, 2013 at 3:49 AM Post #783 of 1,676
I'm working on a E07K based rig out of a ipod classic.
The setup is going to be:

Ipod classic 6th Gen >> FiiO L9 LOD >> Andes >> Cosmic Ears BA2

Let me know what you guys think about it, i'm going to post it to the recommendation thread too.

May 20, 2013 at 1:54 PM Post #786 of 1,676
Quote:
Just joined you guys! Always loved this site! Just ordered my Fiio 1) e09k 2) e07k combo and REALLY looking forward to them...Great review and thread! Thanks Panda...

"Welcome to Head-Fi! Sorry about your wallet"

I'm usually lazy with things. (click the blue link for an example) But I spend time on reviews and helping people. 
rolleyes.gif

Oh and thanks for the compliments.

Very Best,

May 22, 2013 at 3:04 AM Post #787 of 1,676
Quote:
Just joined you guys! Always loved this site! Just ordered my Fiio 1) e09k 2) e07k combo and REALLY looking forward to them...Great review and thread! Thanks Panda...

That's a good combo. I have both E07k and E09k too and the quality/price ratio is excellent.

May 24, 2013 at 7:34 PM Post #788 of 1,676
Hello I have a quick E07K related software question I was hoping someone could answer.

Setup is Windows 7 Itunes mostly playing Apple lossless CD rips and playing around with a few 24/96 tunes from HDtracks.

My question is -> how do I ensure that I'm actually playing the 24/96 tracks at 24/96 as the E07K as far as I can tell has no visible indicator for bitrate (unlike the E17), and I'm fairly sure Itunes will just downsample if there's any issue.

1) Do I just need to enable 96 bit support under the "Supported Formats" tab of the Fiio driver?

2) Do I also need to set the "Default format when running in shared mode" to 24/96?

3) Does Itunes operate the device in shared mode or does it take exclusive control?

Any help from the community is appreciated.

Itunes ALAC -> Fiio E07K -> LCD-2

May 24, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #789 of 1,676
Quote:
Hello I have a quick E07K related software question I was hoping someone could answer.

Setup is Windows 7 Itunes mostly playing Apple lossless CD rips and playing around with a few 24/96 tunes from HDtracks.

My question is -> how do I ensure that I'm actually playing the 24/96 tracks at 24/96 as the E07K as far as I can tell has no visible indicator for bitrate (unlike the E17), and I'm fairly sure Itunes will just downsample if there's any issue.

1) Do I just need to enable 96 bit support under the "Supported Formats" tab of the Fiio driver?

2) Do I also need to set the "Default format when running in shared mode" to 24/96?

3) Does Itunes operate the device in shared mode or does it take exclusive control?

Any help from the community is appreciated.

Itunes ALAC -> Fiio E07K -> LCD-2

I don't know the exacts of iTunes but it shouldn't down sample to my knowledge. As its mainly just a media playback software on a main computer. It has no reason to downgrade nor does it seem likely that Apple included the stuff needed to downgrade into a desktop media playback software?

Best to enable 24/96 in the supported formats and allow exclusive control (not too sure what exclusive means).

From the results of my searching. It does not seem that Apple downsamples in desktop iTunes.

May 24, 2013 at 8:27 PM Post #790 of 1,676
Unfortunately, it certainly seems to - if you set playback in Itunes to 24/96 (either Direct Sound or Windows Audio session) and then change the E07K device to support nothing but 44.1, it will still play. All done with appropriate restarts to Itunes.

Maybe I can ask this a different way - is there a known list of things you need to do to get Win 7 Itunes to play 24/96 through an E07K?  It appears that both the device and Itunes need to be configured.

May 24, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #791 of 1,676
Quote:
Unfortunately, it certainly seems to - if you set playback in Itunes to 24/96 (either Direct Sound or Windows Audio session) and then change the E07K device to support nothing but 44.1, it will still play. All done with appropriate restarts to Itunes.

Maybe I can ask this a different way - is there a known list of things you need to do to get Win 7 Itunes to play 24/96 through an E07K?  It appears that both the device and Itunes need to be configured.

Since you are very trying to get guarantee. I suggest you use Foobar. You have control over foobar. 

For instructions after you get Foobar on how to set stuff up. Go to my second post, for the QA and look for foobar X KHz how to.

Or look here:

How to get Foobar Settings for X KHz and X Bit Rate:
Answer: (Click to hide)

• Go to your bottom start bar. See the volume icon?
  • Right click and go to "playback devices"
  • See the Device ___name__? Right click "Properties" 
  • Make sure Use This Device enable is on
  • Check all the supported formats from 44.1 to 192KHz(this depends on device and input method, do not check one you are not supporting) , nothing over or below, don't check encoded formats any of them
  • make sure your levels are at 100
  • Disable ALL ENHANCEMENTS (do IT) no ENHANCEMENTS
  • In Default Format, choose the setting you want. Keep in mind the support you get from device and input method
  • Check both Exclusive Mode's if they aren't checked.

• Now open up Foobar
  • Go to the preferences menu by hitting 'Ctrl+P' or finding it under 'file'
  • Go to the 'Playback' tab and go under to 'Output'. Under 'Device'. Choose your device. 
  • Then in 'Output Format' of the same sub tab. Choose your output data format. Don't touch anything else.
  • Then find 'Advanced' on the side tabs again. Click it
  • Find 'Decoding'. And open up the drop down sub tabs. Find the Tone/Sweep Sample Rate. And type in the KHz you had Windows also set to. 48000 for 48KHz and 192000 for 192KHz and so on so forth for the rest.

Now sing the panda song. Panda Panda Panda, you are the best, panda panda, you shall get a check, panda panda panda, 

Jun 1, 2013 at 3:20 AM Post #794 of 1,676
How does the E07K sound with the HE-400? I just got a pair with a Schiit Magni and am using them with my Xonar DG. I love them! I tried plugging them into my 4S and it sounded fine to me, I don't know why everyone says these things need an amp. Anyway maybe its because I've only had them for a day and I can't really tell at this point. I was thinking maybe I should pick up an E17 for use as a DAC with my PC ( I think my Xonar DG sounds great, but maybe an E07K will be better). And also for use with my 4S, would the E07K supply enough current for these to sound right? Just wondering. What do you all think?

Jun 1, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #795 of 1,676
I know I'm not the first to have a problem with the E07K, but I think I am the first with this problem. After a few months of use, the amp has an audio issue, the right channel seems like it is at full gain (hissing quite loudly) and will not play music on that side. It also pops loudly on the right when plugging in headphones. Of course this happened a few days after the sellers return policy expired, and I am contemplating sending it back to china...
Other than the issue, I love this amp, and look forwards to using it again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back