FiiO E07K ANDES Review and Help Thread
Feb 9, 2013 at 12:09 AM Post #481 of 1,676
Quote:
sony walkman->L5->E07K

I saw a recharging icon(lightning symbol) on the andes while I was trying it out with the walkman, or does it just mean it is discharging?

Oh snap, I am sorry

I thought this was the E12 thread.

The E07K should not be receiving any power over auxiliary input.

It will only receive power if something is connected through USB and USB CHg is on.

Feb 9, 2013 at 12:10 AM Post #482 of 1,676
Quote:
Oh snap, I am sorry

I thought this was the E12 thread.

The E07K should not be receiving any power over auxiliary input.

It will only receive power if something is connected through USB and USB CHg is on.

ha no worries, good to know then

Feb 9, 2013 at 6:39 AM Post #483 of 1,676
Hello,

I've been planning on buying the ATH-M50's, but I'm not sure if I should get an amplifier for them. I've searched around a lot but one half of the answers tells me it won't really benefit from it (because low impedance), and the other half says it does.

The headphones will be used mainly for home listening through my desktop PC, and with my Ipod Touch 4G with a Fiio E1 amp at uni as well.
Home listening is done by 6 year old Logitech 5.1 PC speakers and/or the Ipod

So, I was wondering if the Fiio E07K/E7's ability to function as a DAC will improve the sound coming out of my PC by a good amount, enough to hear the difference after plugging the ATH-M50's straight into the PC.
It has Realtek audio, I have no idea if that means there's no special card inside, I certainly could not find any brand or model names.
I'd also like to know if it's a big improvement over the Fiio E1 I currently have. I know the DAC won't work on it.

Feb 9, 2013 at 11:42 AM Post #484 of 1,676
Quote:
your question is confusing.

could you break it down a bit pls.

which port of what are you referring to?

I am referring to the dual headphone ports on the E07K; will they become line-out ports once you connect the E07K to the computer via USB?

Quote:
Usually yes. Charge it up. Keep an eye out so it doesnt exhibit symptoms
. Unlike the alpen. There is no input selector

If you have both usb and aux plugged in. Alpen will choose aux as the main signal and use that. This is so youcan charge and use aux in. You have to pull out aux in to actually get sound over usb.

Ah I see... Thanks!

Feb 9, 2013 at 1:45 PM Post #485 of 1,676
Hello,

I've been planning on buying the ATH-M50's, but I'm not sure if I should get an amplifier for them. I've searched around a lot but one half of the answers tells me it won't really benefit from it (because low impedance), and the other half says it does.

The headphones will be used mainly for home listening through my desktop PC, and with my Ipod Touch 4G with a Fiio E1 amp at uni as well.
Home listening is done by 6 year old Logitech 5.1 PC speakers and/or the Ipod

So, I was wondering if the Fiio E07K/E7's ability to function as a DAC will improve the sound coming out of my PC by a good amount, enough to hear the difference after plugging the ATH-M50's straight into the PC.
It has Realtek audio, I have no idea if that means there's no special card inside, I certainly could not find any brand or model names.
I'd also like to know if it's a big improvement over the Fiio E1 I currently have. I know the DAC won't work on it.

I have a q and a section on the second post of this review. Go back to the first page.

I cant link it as I am on my phone.

But it is mainly what you make of it
I am referring to the dual headphone ports on the E07K; will they become line-out ports once you connect the E07K to the computer via USB?

Ah I see... Thanks!

They dont become line out. L7 lines out. They are always headphone out jacks

Feb 9, 2013 at 2:16 PM Post #486 of 1,676
I was referring to the more technical side of things. besides personal preferences for lows-mids-highs there should be a statistical advantage by having an external DAC/amp over a basic soundcard, right?

Feb 9, 2013 at 2:27 PM Post #488 of 1,676
Yeah, that's why I was asking :)

Kinda looking for an answer to how high and noticable that difference is. I know you won't know if it's worth 100$ because that's different for everyone, but maybe others that had the same equipment (ipod and basic sound card desktop) and ended up buying it might be able to tell me their experiences with it.

Feb 10, 2013 at 10:52 AM Post #489 of 1,676
Quote:
I was referring to the more technical side of things. besides personal preferences for lows-mids-highs there should be a statistical advantage by having an external DAC/amp over a basic soundcard, right?

One thing for sure, you can have the same sound signature everywhere you go with an external DAC/amp combo. :D
Quote:
I have a q and a section on the second post of this review. Go back to the first page.

I cant link it as I am on my phone.

But it is mainly what you make of it
They dont become line out. L7 lines out. They are always headphone out jacks

I see... Thanks, will take note of this (sidenote: am miffed when I realised that the E07K and L7 set cheaper and have more functions than my current DAC/amp combo)

Feb 10, 2013 at 11:13 AM Post #490 of 1,676
Could anyone help? I have an ATT Samsung Galaxy S3 and it will not recognize my Fiio E07K whatsoever. I tried the other suggestions in this forum and they haven't worked. I am not sure what I'm doing wrong. It is the stock US variant of the S3.

Feb 10, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #491 of 1,676
Quote:
Could anyone help? I have an ATT Samsung Galaxy S3 and it will not recognize my Fiio E07K whatsoever. I tried the other suggestions in this forum and they haven't worked. I am not sure what I'm doing wrong. It is the stock US variant of the S3.

"Welcome to Head-Fi!Sorry about your Wallet"

I am not an Android expert but I am sure that you need the latest update and or even a different ROM to use digital audio out.

Feb 10, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #492 of 1,676
Thanks for your speedy response! Could anyone confirm that the stock software is the issue? Will a popular custom rom like Cyanogenmod work? It seemed like others who got it to work were on stock.

Feb 10, 2013 at 11:50 AM Post #493 of 1,676
Quote:
Thanks for your speedy response! Could anyone confirm that the stock software is the issue? Will a popular custom rom like Cyanogenmod work? It seemed like others who got it to work were on stock.

Some stock software won't work while some do support it if I remember correctly. Most have ROM's in use I believe

Well, there are quite a few people in this thread who do it so hold on tight and check periodically back during the next few days.

Feb 10, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #494 of 1,676
I have never used portable amplifiers before. Will the FiiO E07K improve the sound of Sennheiser IE800? Would you recommend pairing the rather expensive Sennheiser iem with this FiiO E07K?

Feb 11, 2013 at 2:29 AM Post #495 of 1,676
Quote:
Yeah, that's why I was asking
smily_headphones1.gif

Kinda looking for an answer to how high and noticable that difference is. I know you won't know if it's worth 100$ because that's different for everyone, but maybe others that had the same equipment (ipod and basic sound card desktop) and ended up buying it might be able to tell me their experiences with it.

I posted in this thread with my experience LOL. 

I have both a basic soundcard in my laptop (Dell 1545) and an ipod touch 4th Generation. My M50's via the PC always sounded good to me for the 2-3 months I used it straight out the 3.5mm headphone output jack. Then I decided to buy the Andes, my first DAC/AMP. This changed the sound with the M50's for the better, its the DAC that changed the sound not the amp, although I am now able to get better sound at a little bit lower volume. The sound seemed to open up more to me and seem a little more clear. I'm glad I made the purchase.

Now, as for the iPOD + Andes, I bought the iPOD after buying the Andes along with buying the FiiO L9 LOD. When using a portable device, you are not getting the DAC benefit, just amp. Don't get me wrong, it sounds great still but I honestly haven't had too much listening time with the M50's+Andes+iPOD. I wasn't aware the DAC was only though USB audio, kind of a bummer but I don't regret buying it at all. My waste was with the E6. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back