FiiO E07K ANDES Review and Help Thread
Jan 16, 2013 at 3:23 PM Post #421 of 1,676
Quote:
Hi there.  I picked up an E07K a little over a month ago, and was intending to use it primarily at the office, but I've been running into some issues with using the device on my work computer (I work on a Mac).  I've searched around, and through this thread, but haven't stumbled upon any similar situations, so I'm not sure what the deal could be, but I'm hoping someone here may have some insight, or thoughts at least!

When I first got the device, it worked fantastically for roughly a week.  Around the 1-week mark, all the sudden the sound cut out.  I figured I must have hit something or bumped a connection.  Connections were fine, and after switching the output device off the E07K and then back to it in the Mac sound settings, I could hear a series of faint clicks.  I tried reseating the USB cable connection to the device, and after I did that, I had sound again.  Around 45 seconds later, the sound dropped out again, and that's what I've been experiencing ever since.  It works for ~45 seconds, cuts out until I disconnect and reconnect the USB cable. The USB cable is still powering the device since it indicates its charging, and it still shows up in the sound device list on the Mac, so I doesn't seem like the USB connection is dropping.

Even though I figured they weren't the issue, I tried a different USB cable and different headphones just to be sure, and neither resolved the issue.  I tried connecting it to my Win PCs at home (both running W7), and one here in the office (W8), as well as my phone (iPhone), all using the same USB cable as with my Mac, and the device worked perfectly with all of them.

So I've got it pinned down to an issue specifically with my Mac (running Snow Leopard), and can't seem to iron it out.  I've tried  resetting the device a few times, to no avail.  I found some advanced audio settings on the Mac (Applications > Utilities > Audio MIDI Setup) and tooled around with everything in there, but nothing resolved the issues.

Anyone have any thoughts on what the issue could be, or have any suggestions to try?  As far as I can tell, the device isn't faulty, and there doesn't seem to be any updated firmware available, but I feel like I've exhausted all the options

Thanks!

Hmm, that does sound weird indeed.

Is there a new update for your mac with software updates?

Press option and click on the sound icon. You will get advanced options if you press and hold option while you click on the sound icon at the top of the screen. IS there anything in there that will work?

Jan 16, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #422 of 1,676
Quote:
Hmm, that does sound weird indeed.

Is there a new update for your mac with software updates?

Press option and click on the sound icon. You will get advanced options if you press and hold option while you click on the sound icon at the top of the screen. IS there anything in there that will work?

I don't have any software updates available, aside from the potential upgrade to OSX Lion or Mountain Lion.  I wouldn't think the OS version would be the issue, considering it worked fine for a week, but who knows.   I hadn't realized that Option + Sound Icon shortcut was there, but it looks like that's just a quick way to flip between I/O devices, without going into the full preferences window. 

I may see if I can find another Mac to test it with, to see if I can reproduce the problem.

I appreciate the suggestions, thanks!

Edit: Hmmmm...May have fixed it. Restarted my comp again, which I recall doing when I first tried to troubleshoot the issue a month ago, and now it's been working consistently for the past 5 minutes.  Hopefully that's all it took.  Weird.  Regardless, thanks for the help :)

Jan 17, 2013 at 6:56 AM Post #424 of 1,676
I don't have any software updates available, aside from the potential upgrade to OSX Lion or Mountain Lion.  I wouldn't think the OS version would be the issue, considering it worked fine for a week, but who knows.   I hadn't realized that Option + Sound Icon shortcut was there, but it looks like that's just a quick way to flip between I/O devices, without going into the full preferences window. 

I may see if I can find another Mac to test it with, to see if I can reproduce the problem.

I appreciate the suggestions, thanks!

Edit: Hmmmm...May have fixed it. Restarted my comp again, which I recall doing when I first tried to troubleshoot the issue a month ago, and now it's been working consistently for the past 5 minutes.  Hopefully that's all it took.  Weird.  Regardless, thanks for the help :)

Do you not shut down your computer periodically?

@lipam
Depends why you want an audio interface and then why a fiio

Jan 17, 2013 at 7:59 AM Post #425 of 1,676
@ Bowei006, i want my grado's to sound good,and my laptop doesn't provide that quality , and also do some podcast. i'm thinking that the fast track c400 or the focusrite 2i2 will help me with the recording but i don't know how they sound for playback music. i'm wondering the fiio e07k  has a better dac than the c400 or 2i2 ?

Jan 17, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #426 of 1,676
I'm also having an issue when using dac on my windows computer of the sound cutting out intermittently.
Anyone else have issues ?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Jan 17, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #428 of 1,676
Quote:
@ Bowei006, i want my grado's to sound good,and my laptop doesn't provide that quality , and also do some podcast. i'm thinking that the fast track c400 or the focusrite 2i2 will help me with the recording but i don't know how they sound for playback music. i'm wondering the fiio e07k  has a better dac than the c400 or 2i2 ?

The E07K has a Wolfson WM8740. What do the others have? I don't have the time to look at everything today.

Most likely the audio units there will do fine.

Jan 18, 2013 at 11:27 AM Post #429 of 1,676
Mega Ultra Super Bump for this.

I have a galaxy note 2 and I think the only way to use the DAC from FiiO and not the one built into the phone, would be to rig it like this:

FiiO E07K<---- mini usb~micro usb---->Samsung Note 2 (S3 variant)<---- audio out.

And, like I said, bump.

Jan 18, 2013 at 11:30 AM Post #430 of 1,676
Jan 18, 2013 at 12:33 PM Post #431 of 1,676
Quote:

I have a galaxy note 2 and I think the only way to use the DAC from FiiO and not the one built into the phone, would be to rig it like this:

FiiO E07K<---- mini usb~micro usb---->Samsung Note 2 (S3 variant)<---- audio out.

And, like I said, bump.

have you tried this ?

Jan 19, 2013 at 1:02 PM Post #432 of 1,676
Quote:

have you tried this ?

Quote:

And, like I said, bump.

Have i tried what?

Jan 19, 2013 at 1:59 PM Post #434 of 1,676
Quote:
Have i tried what?

using the cable you suggested is the only way to get audio out from note 2 is what I meant ,however I now understand it was a question and not a statement........
sorry I misunderstood 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back