FiiO E07K ANDES Review and Help Thread
Mar 11, 2015 at 10:42 AM Post #1,531 of 1,676
You guys know how to fix the stuttering issue when plugging the E07K into a PC USB port as a DAC? I tried uninstalling and re-installing the drivers, and just the usual on-and-off and re-plugging it. Running windows 8.1 right now.

Mar 11, 2015 at 2:03 PM Post #1,532 of 1,676
  You guys know how to fix the stuttering issue when plugging the E07K into a PC USB port as a DAC? I tried uninstalling and re-installing the drivers, and just the usual on-and-off and re-plugging it. Running windows 8.1 right now.

Have you tried different usb ports? setting the sample rates? If you're using a laptop is it plugged in to power? Also check if you have power going through your usb ports. 

Mar 11, 2015 at 10:11 PM Post #1,534 of 1,676

I was able to resolve it by restarting my comp. It was working before, so I was wondering why it started to stutter. Thanks anyways.

If the shuttering / distortion only happens after you left the E07K idle for awhile, then I am pretty sure that's not a problem on E07K, but a problem that has been long known to come from Windows. Basically it is caused by Windows being 'smart' and try to cut off the USB power supply to save power, but fail to do so because most USB DAC (*not just E07K) can't go to suspension mode. The temporary interruption causes the USB DAC to lost its clock synchronization with the PC, which in term can't properly 'time' the input data anymore. The result, as you have observed, is distortion / shuttering of the audio output. An indirect proof is that, once you reconnect the USB DAC, it all goes back to normal again since a new connection will allow / force the USB DAC to sync to the PC's clock again.

There are a few solutions on these, but none works 100% all the time, so you might need to try each one out. The way I fixed mine is to use a self-power USB hub, which Windows can't put into suspension (because its power supply is out of Windows' control). I know some also report that disabling Windows' USB power save mode helps (control panel > device manager > universal serial bus controller > right click on the device and under power management). There are also report that going into BIOS to disable any USB power control can help too. Another setting is under (control panel > device manager > power option > change advanced power setting > USB setting).

Mar 11, 2015 at 11:32 PM Post #1,535 of 1,676
If the shuttering / distortion only happens after you left the E07K idle for awhile, then I am pretty sure that's not a problem on E07K, but a problem that has been long known to come from Windows. Basically it is caused by Windows being 'smart' and try to cut off the USB power supply to save power, but fail to do so because most USB DAC (*not just E07K) can't go to suspension mode. The temporary interruption causes the USB DAC to lost its clock synchronization with the PC, which in term can't properly 'time' the input data anymore. The result, as you have observed, is distortion / shuttering of the audio output. An indirect proof is that, once you reconnect the USB DAC, it all goes back to normal again since a new connection will allow / force the USB DAC to sync to the PC's clock again.

In my case, the Dac was still stuttering even after rebooting and replugging the Dac. Although I did use a use pass through with two different ports.

Mar 11, 2015 at 11:58 PM Post #1,536 of 1,676
In my case, the Dac was still stuttering even after rebooting and replugging the Dac. Although I did use a use pass through with two different ports.

Shuttering as in immediately after the the rebooting or in some time later? Some PC doesn't turn the USB controller completely off when rebooting, so the USB controller still 'remember' what it is connected to, and that might be a cause. Does restarting the E07k helps?

What is a 'use pass through'?

Mar 12, 2015 at 2:05 AM Post #1,537 of 1,676

Shuttering as in immediately after the the rebooting or in some time later? Some PC doesn't turn the USB controller completely off when rebooting, so the USB controller still 'remember' what it is connected to, and that might be a cause. Does restarting the E07k helps?

What is a 'use pass through'?

Sorry, I was replying via my phone. What I meant is USB pass-through, not "use". I have the DAC plugged into my keyboard with 2 USB pass-through ports. Here's what I did when the stuttering started happened until it stopped.

1) I unplugged and re-plug the DAC
2) I unplugged the DAC and restarted the DAC, and plugged it back in.
3) I restarted the PC (still stuttering)

It is after the second reboot of my PC is when the stuttering stopped. But you're probably right about the PC remember the device. I also uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers just in case, and updated my PC as well.

Mar 12, 2015 at 2:09 AM Post #1,538 of 1,676
Basically your keyboard is acting as an USB hub, but it is not self-powered so I suspect it is still remembering the E07K for the PC.

Do try the other solution that I mentioned. Maybe one of them will work for you.

Mar 13, 2015 at 9:05 PM Post #1,539 of 1,676
Hi guys, I have just got an e07k and want to use it with my first gen Moto G with Android 5.02 lollipop

I could have sworn the first time I tried it, I plugged in OTG, plugged in e07k, plugged in earphones, played Spotify and tadaah!

However from the second time and from now on it only seems to play out of phone speakers and not earphones??

Any idea how to get it working?

There's always the potential the first time i tried something silly happened like.... the fiio was plugged into my laptop instead of phone. I wouldnt put it past me, but i dont think so

Mar 14, 2015 at 2:07 AM Post #1,540 of 1,676
  Hi guys, I have just got an e07k and want to use it with my first gen Moto G with Android 5.02 lollipop

I could have sworn the first time I tried it, I plugged in OTG, plugged in e07k, plugged in earphones, played Spotify and tadaah!

However from the second time and from now on it only seems to play out of phone speakers and not earphones??

Any idea how to get it working?

There's always the potential the first time i tried something silly happened like.... the fiio was plugged into my laptop instead of phone. I wouldnt put it past me, but i dont think so

You need to run a line out (3.5mm) from your phone to your amp. You also need to plug your headphones to your amp. 

Just fyi, the e07k will only work as an amp with your Moto, the decoding portion (DAC) will still all be processed with the Moto G.

Mar 14, 2015 at 2:44 AM Post #1,542 of 1,676
  Aw nuts. I thought I could use the e07k as a dac on my moto g, which is why I purchased it.

I assumed I could plug e07k into moto g and it would function both as an amp/dac

The E07k does not have the ability to bypass the dac. If it did you would be using digital cables rather than analog (3.5mm). You would want to look into the Beyerdynamic A200p if you want to bypass both DAC and the AMP.

The E07k will just give you the AMP on a portable device. 

Mar 14, 2015 at 3:10 AM Post #1,544 of 1,676
  Isn't that the whole point with USB OTG and Lollipoc DAC support?

Clearly I have misunderstood everything

That is only with dacs that are certified to bypass it. 

Mar 30, 2015 at 7:38 PM Post #1,545 of 1,676
Hello everyone, this is my first post on head-fi as a beginner audiophile (yay!) and I would love some advice if possible? :)

I listen to music on my UE 900 IEM's on my Samsung Galaxy S3 (international unrooted GT-I9300T with that Wolfson DAC running Android 4.3 atm) and enjoyed it but I recently got out my broken Cowon S9 (the power button broke so the only way I can turn it on is by plugging it in to charge then quickly taking it out before it completely loads the startup) and it sounds AMAZING with my UE 900's. Like ahhh it's so detailed and clear, it doesn't muddy at higher volumes like my S3 does sometimes (so I know I at least need an amp) and the instrument separation is great. Now I know what these the UE 900's can do and I want to be able to please them.

I want to see if I can get my S3 to sound like that. I like the convenience of having everything on one device (phone, camera, internet, music etc) and I like the freedom I have with customizing etc so I don't think I'm interested in getting a DAP. I think that either DAP's need to catch up with smartphone-like features or smartphones NEED to get better DAC's but I understand some people just want a Dedicated Audio Player and nothing else. I realized how slow and difficult the interface was on my S9 and how I'd ideally like to listen to my 320kbps MP3 and FLAC files with Poweramp or Spotify on my S3.

So I'm looking for a good portable DAC+AMP (that I can also use with my laptop to make it sound better) and I like the sound of the the Fiio X07K Andes. It sounds well loved. The first, and most important, thing is will it work with my S3 via OTG? I know there's been some issues but does it just randomly work or not? Secondly, a beginner question, as I've not had an DAC/AMP before is it a hassle using your portable device when it's attached?

I listen to a wide range of music from Celtic and Soundtrack to Cinematic Rock and Pop. I need strings, in particular, to be good along with sound-staging and instrument separation as they're important to me. I think I like a lush and organic warm sound that is also clear and detailed without being analytical. I like a tight and punchy bass that isn't boomy or overly done. I guess it depends what I'm listening to, though, as I also like an airy sound sometimes.

I'd love some advice about what you think is best? Should I get the Andes, recommend another DAC/AMP or a DAP?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back