FiiO E07K ANDES Review and Help Thread
Jun 12, 2015 at 3:25 PM Post #1,561 of 1,676
hey, mates, is it possible to switch one of the HP out connectors at line out mode ? I am gonna buy HE400s with our local manufacturer's headamp (actually equal alternative to e09k) for beautiful price and i need a dac for it (of course) and I am really thinking about e07k (bass/treble eq boost :) ) and only lineout is the docking connector, so I wonder if there is any chance to plug some output to additional amp (line out, which means directly from the dac to the output without amping the signal)

thanks for any help. 

Jun 13, 2015 at 11:14 AM Post #1,562 of 1,676
The L7 connector will do this - it turns the LO slot into a single-ended output; but 1) I doubt this has any advantage over using one of the HP outs, double-amping is an overblown concern IMO; and 2) not sure this will allow EQing.

I feed my Andes' HP out into a separate amp all the time at gain=0 and volume=55 and get great music out of it.

Jun 13, 2015 at 11:36 AM Post #1,563 of 1,676
oh, thank you, I've totally forgotten about L7 adapter, but still...not possible to get in my country tho...

and about that thing with allow EQing...it is possible to use bass/treble boost while e07k is docked in the e09k, right ? If so, then there will not be a problem imo.

and I definitely do not want to amp it twice

Jun 17, 2015 at 7:10 PM Post #1,565 of 1,676
I bought an E07K and it's sounds great, much better than the E11K. I am having a problem when I first connect it to my Samsung Galaxy s5 usb though.

Samsung > otg adapter(cheap Amazon) > usb/mini cable >dac .

When I first play after connecting or powering up the dac it sounds like the music is really slow and under water or robotic sounding. I have to unplug/plug one of the connectors several times before it works, then it is fine as long as I don't shut down or disconnect. It happens only on the initial play.

It doesn't seem to matter if I power the dac plugged in or unplugged from the phone.

Crappy otg cable?

Also is there a way to update the firmwares on the fiio?

Jun 17, 2015 at 10:00 PM Post #1,566 of 1,676
Hi. I have been searching for hours and can't seem to find what I'm looking for.

Can someone give me a definitive answer to these questions please:

1)Will my Samsung Galaxy s5 (Lollipop) work with the E07K, specifically using Google Music (streaming) as a dac (usb otg)?

2)can I expect more volume than with my phone alone?

3)can I expect better sound quality using this setup rather than with an amp using the 3.5mm as an input ie:the fiio e11k?

Thanks!

I bought one and will answer my own questions if anyone else is wondering.

1)yes, using an otg cable. It does not always play properly when first connected, playing songs in kind of a weird, slow, underwater sound. But if I just unplug the USB cable ( more than once usually) it sorts itself out and stays good. So it's not seamless but works. I may have a crap otg cable too(Amazon). I tried a different music app (onkyo) and same thing. I may get a micro to mini otg.

2) volume is plenty. I have it set at 6db gain and 30/60 is pleasant, 35 is rocking out, 40 more than enough.

3)sound quality is great. It is a touch warmer than the phone. Way better than the E11K. I have treble set at +2. The fine volume control is excellent. Very happy with the sound. I tried the headphone cable input for aa fewminutes and it sounded good too, again, way better than the E11K.

Jun 20, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #1,567 of 1,676
I just got an Andes and am having a bit of trouble with it.

When I plug it in to my Samsung Galaxy S5 with Android 5.0 (USB port using an OTG cable), almost always it sounds slow and garbled, choppy.  I tried different music apps and both streaming and mp3 files.  I then have to unplug it and plug it back in (usually several times) and then it will work fine for as long as I am using it and sounds great.  If I unplug it I have to go through the same rigamarole again.

I have a Samsung Galaxy tablet with Android 4.2.2 and it works perfect (its a bit louder too).  Same with my PC, works perfect.

I know the Andes is not officially approved for Android use, but I have read about many people using it. Plus it works fine on my other device.

Any suggestions? Did I get a dud and should I exchange it?  Am I harming anything by using it?

Jun 28, 2015 at 9:24 PM Post #1,568 of 1,676
Since USB DAC's are fully supported at the Android level beginning with Lollipop (5.0) you should not have those problems on your Galaxy S5. I'm currently using a cheap USB DAC with a FiiO E5 (McKinley) amplifier and have no problems with that combination on my LG G4 running 5.1. Perhaps the USB 3.0 port/connector on the S5 is having problems interfacing at the hardware level? You might want to try the Galaxy S5 forums on XDA to see if anyone else is reporting problems with USB audio on that device.

I just ordered an E07K and intend to try it with this cable after they both arrive. It could be a while since the cable is coming from China but I'll report back here when I have a chance to test that configuration.

Jun 28, 2015 at 10:27 PM Post #1,569 of 1,676
Since USB DAC's are fully supported at the Android level beginning with Lollipop (5.0) you should not have those problems on your Galaxy S5. I'm currently using a cheap USB DAC with a FiiO E5 (McKinley) amplifier and have no problems with that combination on my LG G4 running 5.1. Perhaps the USB 3.0 port/connector on the S5 is having problems interfacing at the hardware level? You might want to try the Galaxy S5 forums on XDA to see if anyone else is reporting problems with USB audio on that device.

I just ordered an E07K and intend to try it with this cable after they both arrive. It could be a while since the cables are coming from China but I'll report back here when I have a chance to test that configuration.

It may be fully supported in theory but many are having trouble, usually after an upgrade to lollipop. I have a kit kat tablet and it works perfect with my E07K.

I am interested to see if yours works properly. Please let us know. My E07K works with the s5, but I have to plug and unplug a few times to get it to not sound garbled. After it connects it's excellent.

FYI, the cable you linked to will not work since the E07K has mini usb. You need a micro to mini. I ordered one from jds Labs (for $3.99), I couldn't find one anywhere else (other than direct from China)

Jun 28, 2015 at 10:30 PM Post #1,570 of 1,676
FYI, the cable you linked to will not work since the E07K has mini usb. You need a micro to mini. I ordered one from jds Labs, I couldn't find one anywhere else (other than direct from China)

Yes, I realized that just before you posted, and already edited my previous post to reflect the micro to mini USB OTG cable I just purchased on eBay. :)

Jun 28, 2015 at 10:43 PM Post #1,572 of 1,676
Cool, let us know how it works. Which version of Lollipop are you on?

Will do. My LG G4 is on 5.1 and I also have a Nexus 5 which is running the Android "M" preview. I'll test it with that too.

I've ordered another cable from JDS Labs, which was only slightly more expensive than the China direct seller with shipping, since that should get here about the same time as the FiiO E07K.

Thanks for the tip.

Jun 28, 2015 at 11:00 PM Post #1,573 of 1,676
Will do. My LG G4 is on 5.1 and I also have a Nexus 5 which is running the Android "M" preview. I'll test it with that too.

I've ordered another cable from JDS Labs, which was only slightly more expensive than the China direct seller with shipping, since that should get here about the same time as the FiiO E07K.

Thanks for the tip.

I'm hopig when (or if) my hokey ass cell provider finally gives us 5.1 the problem is rectified. Hopefully it's not worse......

Jun 30, 2015 at 1:22 PM Post #1,574 of 1,676
This thing is so... warm. Not saying its a bad buy, its a literal godsend for bass-shy headphones, but abysmal for headphones with decent bass in the first place. Its like "bass boost" is on by default, by at least 4dB.

Anyone try to EQ this thing with software to make it more neutral?

Jun 30, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #1,575 of 1,676
This thing is so... warm. Not saying its a bad buy, its a literal godsend for bass-shy headphones, but abysmal for headphones with decent bass in the first place. Its like "bass boost" is on by default, by at least 4dB.

Anyone try to EQ this thing with software to make it more neutral?

turn the bass down. I don't find it overly bassy but I do bump the treble one notch on my m50x

Users who are viewing this thread

Back