Fiio D3
Dec 9, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #76 of 234

Well, as you must have already seen, I bought this DAC  some weeks ago,  straigth from the Fiio marketing,  in Hong-Kong.  Although the  D3 carries an unbelievable value, US$28,00 (door to door),  it brings also some shrill, and the consequent fatigue.  As I´m always listening to Grooveshark, or any other radio,  while surfing, I had to find a workaround, and to my relief, Fidelizer has donne it  here:  I can listen to music for hours, without getting tired.  It sure deserves to be checked !
(Thanks anyway for your tip, I didn´t know MP4nation, still.  And my congratulations to live in such a beautiful city, too...)
Abçs,

Igor

Quote:
Dear nagual,

You can buy direct in MP4nation without any problem.

Note: You live in a beautiful city! :xf_eek:)

Abraço,

Peter

Jan 13, 2012 at 1:01 AM Post #79 of 234
At least two reviews of the Fiio D3 on amazon.com said the 192 / 24 was broken. One said that you would only hear a static noise upon sending 192/24 the other that he couldn't set his software to send higher than 96/24 signals.

I just found out how to make use of my Dell Inspiron's S/PDIF out, and I would like to try listening to it and maybe try out higher resolution file... My GT40 already playsback 96/24 I want higher than that.

...but just to try, that's why I want to pay the least.

Oh and what do you guys think of that : http://www.ebay.com/itm/24Bit-192Khz-Digital-Optical-Coaxial-Analog-RCA-Audio-Converter-DAC-BOARD-/110794903445?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19cbe40f95

It's just another china DIY looking thing but it's the nicest looking one I've seen supporting 192/24, also one that I could buy easily, not having to read or translate chinese. No information of real specs available for it :frowning2:, no higher resolution image either.

I'm trying to get a cheap, decent first experience with non-USB digital audio.

Jan 15, 2012 at 2:24 AM Post #80 of 234
Okay I bought the FiiO D3 from Dealextreme and I'll tell it here in my next post if mine does 192Hz/24bit playback.

I'f not I'll return it to FiiO and ask for one that can do it as well as it can do the other rates.

Jan 21, 2012 at 1:32 PM Post #81 of 234
Noticed somebody related to fiio may be watching so I have a question/issue (can't seem to find any customer service).  I have the D3 and it works well when it works, but seems to have an issue in locking into a signal.  I have it hooked up to the fiber audio out from my Apple TV2 and it many times will just output static from the DAC.  At first i thought this might be the ATV, but when I unplug the power to the D3 and plug it back in it locks on the signal instantly and plays fine.  I am not sure what could cause this.  I have the ATV set up for 16 bit audio output.

Anyone have a D3 hooked to an ATV2?

Jan 22, 2012 at 2:41 AM Post #82 of 234
I don't know what Apple TV is but I have heard people complaining on Amazon.com that they would hear that similar "staticky" output when trying to get 192kHz/24bit content out of the FiiO D3.

You are sending 16 bit audio I would suggest you to try 24 bit wordlength. Otherwise this DAC surely isn't so perfectly designed to work with every digital audio outputing devices on the planet, and maybe it's just bad at recognizing particularly your ATV2 too. If "it works when it works" after a simple unplugging and replugging procedure, even if annoying, you can still live with it :wink:.

It's true that FiiO representative Feiao got interested in this thread but that's about 6 months ago, I don't think he's still watching this regularly, but you you did good totry your luck.

Jan 23, 2012 at 6:29 AM Post #83 of 234
I ordered the D3 mainly because I have a 2 channel Vizio soundbar with a broken optical input (damn those flimsy optical ports!), and wanted to reduce the clutter of 5 RCA cables sharing duties on just two RCA inputs (yes, constant switching is getting annoying). With the D3, I can just take the audio from the TV's optical out to D3, and just that one RCA cable to the soundbar. My TV downmixes all signals to two channel PCM for everything but the actual tuner which does DD, but I don't watch TV (other than the news, which I could just use the built in speakers), so it's not an issue.

I will of course compare the D3 with the E7 and soon to come NFB 3.1 (both RCA and ACSS) with my audio setups. Just for the sake of testing 3 different DACs...

Jan 23, 2012 at 8:47 PM Post #84 of 234

Quote:
I ordered the D3 mainly because I have a 2 channel Vizio soundbar with a broken optical input (damn those flimsy optical ports!), and wanted to reduce the clutter of 5 RCA cables sharing duties on just two RCA inputs (yes, constant switching is getting annoying). With the D3, I can just take the audio from the TV's optical out to D3, and just that one RCA cable to the soundbar. My TV downmixes all signals to two channel PCM for everything but the actual tuner which does DD, but I don't watch TV (other than the news, which I could just use the built in speakers), so it's not an issue.
I will of course compare the D3 with the E7 and soon to come NFB 3.1 (both RCA and ACSS) with my audio setups. Just for the sake of testing 3 different DACs...

I have the D3 hook up to my Pioneer BDP 51FD which I like a lot for 2 channel audio analog using some hi-price Monster Toslink cable. I use the E7 as an amp , without EQ, the sound is kind of bright and very analytical. Using the EQ1 on the E7, I start to like Diana Krall voice . I do hear now and then some faint static but I have not time to determine if my E7 or the D3 problem.

The best thing is the E7 / D3 combo solves my "click" or "tack" issue between tracks when playing CD via my CDP.

Over all, less than $30.00 , I enjoy the SQ of my E7 with the D3. Placebo effect or not, I like the D3 since I cannot buy much now a day with $30.00. I am going to order another D3 for my Onkyo CDP.   

Jan 31, 2012 at 5:07 PM Post #87 of 234
To use this with a computer you still need a sound card (or on mobo), correct?  I have an Asus P67 and the Realtek audio is what is currently controlling the Digital Coaxial / Optical out.

I would not be able to disable the onboard card, uninstall the drivers, and use the D3.  I guess I'm just confused about how this and my on board card would work together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back