Fiio D3
Feb 1, 2012 at 1:43 PM Post #91 of 234
I'm just trying to figure out what's happening. 

So if I am using digital coax/toslink out my on board audio is only acting like a traffic cop, directing the signal.  But it only processes the signal if I am using the 3.5mm jacks?

Feb 1, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #92 of 234
That's pretty much it.

Feb 1, 2012 at 11:50 PM Post #94 of 234
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/fiio-d3-digital-to-analog-audio-converter-66303

I have bought this and it can't playback higher than 48 kHz sample rate on both 16 and 24 bit depth, coming from my computer... and my problem isn't coming the computer itself. The thing just blanks out when I feed her with such signals.

I found that the sound was okay/acceptable but not good compared to my Dell Inspiron 1720 headphone jack/onboard soundcard, which contrasted to be quite better when A/Bing (and I was expecting the contrary :/  ). Try to not let you influence too much by the huge amount of positive reviews... of course if you only want a way out to listen to your TV on your speakers well go for it, it will do the job for PCM 41.4 / 48 kHz signals at least. The sound was very clean and OK but not lively and dynamic enough to be listened as a main source and with a pair of headphones.

Dealextreme as a satisfaction warranty and I will send back my unit, I am not interested in listening one that can output 192kHz/24. I will continue listening to my laptop's headphone jack.

Feb 15, 2012 at 11:02 AM Post #96 of 234
In certain budget application, these $28.00 DAC provide tremendous value. I have a couple old DVD players ( some old model Onkyo and Panasonic ) in the house which no ones bother to touch since we hook on the Bluray players for watching video stuff.

With the D3, I turn these obsoleted DVD players into the transports to play CDs . Let's see, $28.00 a pop for the D3 and $30.00 a pop for the Cmoy amp on E-Bay with my extra Toslink cables in the closet, now I have 2 budget headphone amp/dac systems.

Is it the D3 prettty much the same DAC that is inside the E7?

Feb 15, 2012 at 11:09 AM Post #97 of 234

Quote:
Has someone realized any difference between coaxial and optical quality playback ?

Back in the day that I was a young man, most of people I know preferring  coaxial cables to fiber optic one but time have changed I guess, with a good GLASS Toslink cable , it may be a myth if there is any difference at all.

Feb 15, 2012 at 2:49 PM Post #98 of 234

Quote:
Has someone realized any difference between coaxial and optical quality playback ?

another question would if the number of connections matters? 

Computer --> D3 --> Nuforce W-1 --> AudioEngine A2's  (in my case anyway)

So if I went optical in the first connection would that be better?  No interference or signal loss with optical.

Feb 15, 2012 at 7:38 PM Post #99 of 234

Quote:
another question would if the number of connections matters? 

Computer --> D3 --> Nuforce W-1 --> AudioEngine A2's  (in my case anyway)

So if I went optical in the first connection would that be better?  No interference or signal loss with optical.

I believe there are different grade of Toslink. Some are made of just cheap clear plastic and some are made of real glass. YMMV.

Feb 15, 2012 at 8:59 PM Post #100 of 234

Quote:
I believe there are different grade of Toslink. Some are made of just cheap clear plastic and some are made of real glass. YMMV.

Granted, but given equal quality Toslink and Coax.  Would Toslink be better?  As with nagual, would making one of the connections optical help?  Or since it's just bits and bits of a digital signal in it doesn't matter?

Feb 16, 2012 at 7:17 AM Post #101 of 234
Is it the D3 prettty much the same DAC that is inside the E7?

No, it's a newer, better DAC capable of 24/96, where the E7 is restricted to 16/48.

Feb 20, 2012 at 4:31 AM Post #102 of 234
So I own the E9 , my mobo has optical out that can support 16/192 so should I just get the D3 and send it through the E9 to drive my HD650's? Or should I go for the Fiio F10 which is an updated overall DAC?

Feb 20, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #103 of 234

Quote:
So I own the E9 , my mobo has optical out that can support 16/192 so should I just get the D3 and send it through the E9 to drive my HD650's? Or should I go for the Fiio F10 which is an updated overall DAC?

Why spend more dough brother ? Stick with the E9 which I like a lot with my E7 humping on top of it. Get the D3 and a nice coaxial or Optical cable then you've done. That avatar scares me a bit. Does it walking around with no head?

Feb 29, 2012 at 11:45 AM Post #105 of 234
Well I got my D3 , hooked up with ease. I also got Amazon branded cables and man these are decent cables for the money. I can confirm it plays 192/24 beautifully through Foobar2000 via WASAPI for those interested. I'm currently listening to a great jazz track and it sounds simply beautiful.

As far as the D3 goes I've got to give it a little time to break in but I'm very impressed going from the E7 to D3. I'd say an upgrade from this point will be a tube amp for my headphones and right now the DAC situation is pretty much set. This DAC surprisingly really opens up my Sennheiser HD650's .. makes the "veil" less intense. 

For the money ($28 on Amazon) you simply can't beat it , you could easily spend $150 on other DAC's but is it worth 5x the price? Also despite not being Asynchronous its very responsive in Foobar2000 with WASAPI set as your output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back