Fiio D3
Oct 11, 2011 at 10:51 AM Post #46 of 234
Well being that I never suspected my D3 of being defective and I'm past the return 30 day period.  I went ahead and emailed MICCA to see if they'd exchange it, but I need to pay return shipping (which is ok) but also an 11.50 fee.

In other words I would have to pay nearly 20 bucks (if you include shipping) to exhange a 30 dollar product.

NOT GONNA HAPPEN.

It's not like this is a great sounding DAC or anything.  It was just kind of handy to have around.

Anyone here want a paper weight?

Oct 11, 2011 at 4:08 PM Post #48 of 234

Yep am regular customer there but u have to give 2-3 weeks for the International shipped items  to arrive 
L3000.gif

Quote:
 No.   Didn´t know it, at all. Have you ever used it ?

Oct 12, 2011 at 12:30 AM Post #49 of 234

Quote:
Well being that I never suspected my D3 of being defective and I'm past the return 30 day period.  I went ahead and emailed MICCA to see if they'd exchange it, but I need to pay return shipping (which is ok) but also an 11.50 fee.

In other words I would have to pay nearly 20 bucks (if you include shipping) to exhange a 30 dollar product.

NOT GONNA HAPPEN.

It's not like this is a great sounding DAC or anything.  It was just kind of handy to have around.

Anyone here want a paper weight?

If my E9 broke, I'd probably pursue warranty repair - anything else from Fiio (two LODs and counting) and I just throw it in the bin and chalk it up to experience. To be fair, the E9 hasnt put a foot wrong, but then it isnt subjected to the same abuse as most portable kit.

Oct 12, 2011 at 7:01 AM Post #50 of 234

Quote:
If my E9 broke, I'd probably pursue warranty repair - anything else from Fiio (two LODs and counting) and I just throw it in the bin and chalk it up to experience. To be fair, the E9 hasnt put a foot wrong, but then it isnt subjected to the same abuse as most portable kit.

agreed.

It's one of the "side effects" of getting into super budget products

Oct 13, 2011 at 11:26 AM Post #51 of 234
Received the d3 today and it's definitely no giant killer. Does not compare to the other budget dacs i've heard in the $100-200 (the usual suspects - budget styleaudio etc), not like it matters since to my ears they all sound more similar than different.

The D3 has, what some people call "digititis" - the treble is unrefined and quite shrill. It's not a burn-in issue. The great gear i've heard (sadly, not much digital is great) all sounded fabulous from the start. The added sizzle in the treble might lead one to mistake it for more detail but listen for a few more hours and your ears will be sorry. Not unexpected for a dac in this price range though. Just remember you're buying a $30 DAC, keep expectations in line with that, and you'll be fine.

I definitely can't think of another DAC in the same price range, and for the money it does look pretty good. It's kinda funny that i'm using it with an art legato at the moment. The D3 is supposed to be a temporary DAC.. but i think i'll stick with my on-board for now

Oct 13, 2011 at 2:14 PM Post #52 of 234

Quote:
Received the d3 today and it's definitely no giant killer. Does not compare to the other budget dacs i've heard in the $100-200 (the usual suspects - budget styleaudio etc), not like it matters since to my ears they all sound more similar than different.

The D3 has, what some people call "digititis" - the treble is unrefined and quite shrill. It's not a burn-in issue. The great gear i've heard (sadly, not much digital is great) all sounded fabulous from the start. The added sizzle in the treble might lead one to mistake it for more detail but listen for a few more hours and your ears will be sorry. Not unexpected for a dac in this price range though. Just remember you're buying a $30 DAC, keep expectations in line with that, and you'll be fine.

I definitely can't think of another DAC in the same price range, and for the money it does look pretty good. It's kinda funny that i'm using it with an art legato at the moment. The D3 is supposed to be a temporary DAC.. but i think i'll stick with my on-board for now

Didn't someone say it's comparable to the HDP?

jk.

But I really think someone said that.

This is the probably one of the worst DACs I've ever heard, right up there with the EF2A built in DAC and the original NuForce uDAC (I don't know how subsequent revisions compare)

Oct 13, 2011 at 3:09 PM Post #53 of 234
I think those of you who get the D series might feel disappointed if you have high expectation. D series is really consumer class products meant for the mass. It is especially true for D3 as it is meant to be used with slim LCD / LED TV that has tiny speaker and SPDIF output so user can get a RCA output from D3 to connect to external speaker. It is really not supposed to outdo FiiO's own E series on SQ.

Oct 13, 2011 at 5:44 PM Post #54 of 234
What is the veredict regarding 192 KHz/24 Bits?

Forgive my ignorance, but is this mode necessary for blue-ray movies? I plan to use the D3 on a HDTV with no analog outputs, and it would be no use for me if it has problems decoding the audio from blue ray movies.

A second question: is it possible to connect "sensitive" headphones directly to the RCA outputs without an amp? I know that it is not recommended, but the question is, can it work without audiophile expectations?

Thanks!

Oct 13, 2011 at 6:44 PM Post #55 of 234

Quote:
What is the veredict regarding 192 KHz/24 Bits?

Forgive my ignorance, but is this mode necessary for blue-ray movies? I plan to use the D3 on a HDTV with no analog outputs, and it would be no use for me if it has problems decoding the audio from blue ray movies.

A second question: is it possible to connect "sensitive" headphones directly to the RCA outputs without an amp? I know that it is not recommended, but the question is, can it work without audiophile expectations?

Thanks!

sound is subjective.

I used to own a 16/44 dac and it blew away a good percentage of the new fangled high rez dacs I listened to.  It's all about implementation.

Oct 13, 2011 at 8:17 PM Post #56 of 234
roker: thanks for your reply.

My question about 192 KHz/24 bits was due to some reports of the D3 dropping sound and having other glitches that made this mode unusable. Some rep from Fiio said that very few units had this problem, but I suspect this to be BS. That's why I was asking if newer D3's play 192 KHz/24 bits w/o issues.

Oct 14, 2011 at 12:06 AM Post #57 of 234

Quote:
roker: thanks for your reply.

My question about 192 KHz/24 bits was due to some reports of the D3 dropping sound and having other glitches that made this mode unusable. Some rep from Fiio said that very few units had this problem, but I suspect this to be BS. That's why I was asking if newer D3's play 192 KHz/24 bits w/o issues.

If you follow my posts here you'll see that I was complaining about it not working with my TV.  I just assumed it was the TV when in reality it was the DAC all along.

I'm going to get in touch with FIIO and see if they'll replace for with the cost of shipping one-way

Oct 14, 2011 at 5:14 PM Post #58 of 234
roker: I went back to read your post. How do you configure the sample rate on the D3? You mention that 192/24 is not even available in the menu. Some other member (digriz) mentioned having sound dropout problems in 192/24, so he returned his D3. Nobody so far has stated that 192/24 works fine on his/her D3.

Did you try to connect headphones directly to the D3? I'm no audiophile. I just want to get decent sound out of my new LG TV that has terrible distortion through the only analog output (headphone jack). I don't want to invest a lot of money just to get some decent analog output.

Oct 21, 2011 at 10:06 PM Post #60 of 234
When mine didn't function, it was only at 192/24 through two soundcards capable of 192/24, both soundcards worked fine at 24/96 using PCM. But not 192. As the thing claims it can handle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back