[FiiO BTR7] Portable Bluetooth Amplifier, Color IPS display,High-performance DAC ES9219C*2,THX AAA-28*2 amps,3.5+4.4mm outputs,One-click “dongle” mode
Aug 10, 2022 at 3:31 PM Post #376 of 2,070
@FiiO I love the BTR7 and the app, and thank you so much for working on a PEQ - the BTR7 has the chops to dethrone the Qudelix and is on a righteous path. Please continue your efforts and work on refining the software and adding new features in the future - if you retain the DSP platform and just improve the hardware every year-two, I will be happy to stay faithful - don't do what you did with the Fiio m11 Pro - forgotten after a year.. do what Qudelix is doing and you'll be golden with your superior hardware power.

Some key bugs/feedback I noted:

FEATURE: As mentioned few times, really need more than one custom eq preset for user: at least 5, if not 10 is needed - this thing should be one of key priorities as the power of PEQ demands more flexibility.

BUG: IOS keyboard when editing PEQ values - keyboard doesn't have MINUS sign, so impossible to enter negative db - workaround is to copy past minus sign from outside of app, or to first edit a minus value on the graphical eq and then convert that to PEQ.

BUG/FEATURE: No lowpass/highpass for PEQ - fairly important please especially when working with Oratory configs

BUG: BTR7 codec screen doesn't update if say first connects to LDAC 96khz, and user then changes that to LDAC 44khz on Android device - BTR7 screen says it's still 96khz which is incorrect (validated it's 44khz on device developer settings).. Seems it just detects the initial codec sample rate and doesn't update until new connection/codec is applied.

COOL feature: allow for a setting to have always on display on the BTR7, and to display a funky spectrum analyzer - like RME ADI DAC - that would be so sweet; we all know that looking at a spectrum analyzer whilst listening results in a higher fidelity experience, the music simply sounds better ;(
i get that it might impact battery life a little more but it's down to the user if they want to enable so that should be OK

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2022 at 4:05 PM Post #378 of 2,070
any comparisions between this, qudelix & go blu?

I have Qudelix and BTR7.. The Fiio has better sound quality - more headroom and punch with the thx amps, and a little more calmness in the way it's conveys the music. Qudelix seems more perky and little brighter. Both very good for their price but I think the BTR7 conveys a little more hifi magic and have that thx speed if that's your thing

Qudelix has superior software and eq no doubt but if Fiio continue down the software upgrade path the gap can be decreased - it's all about the PEQ ultimately with the software and Fiio have just taken a giant leap with giving it to us (albeit with more work needed but at least it's usable)

Aug 10, 2022 at 4:42 PM Post #379 of 2,070
I have Qudelix and BTR7.. The Fiio has better sound quality - more headroom and punch with the thx amps, and a little more calmness in the way it's conveys the music. Qudelix seems more perky and little brighter. Both very good for their price but I think the BTR7 conveys a little more hifi magic and have that thx speed if that's your thing

Qudelix has superior software and eq no doubt but if Fiio continue down the software upgrade path the gap can be decreased - it's all about the PEQ ultimately with the software and Fiio have just taken a giant leap with giving it to us (albeit with more work needed but at least it's usable)
Good to know that it's SQ is better than Qudelix. Does the PEQ work when using it wired? or will it only work when using bluetooth? and Have you tested the range and noise of the BTR7?

I've been using an old LG phone for portable use and this seems like a good replacement, even if it turns out not to be a big improvement over my LG phone, the size, bluetooth & 4.4 out interest me.

Aug 10, 2022 at 4:45 PM Post #380 of 2,070
Good to know that it's SQ is better than Qudelix. Does the PEQ work when using it wired? or will it only work when using bluetooth? and Have you tested the range and noise of the BTR7?

I've been using an old LG phone for portable use and this seems like a good replacement, even if it turns out not to be a big improvement over my LG phone, the size, bluetooth & 4.4 out interest me.
Yes PEQ works in both cases bt and usb (usb has to be uac1 mode - which is 96khz max)

I haven't tested the range but seems fine - in train out and about was all fine with AAC. LDAC on highest bitrate needs close proximity between two devices but seems to be fine with a little stutter here and there

Aug 10, 2022 at 5:35 PM Post #382 of 2,070
Ok, I think I'll get this as soon as it's stocked again. I'm curious and I know it's not a fair comparision but how does it sound against Mojo?
Mojo pushes the mids forward a little and with more details (a little overcompensating at times), it's more vivid in general. The BTR7 mids are a little smoother/etheral, but less detailed and less focused/defined - but still quite nice in their own way. The BTR7 seems to have a better controlled/faster bass - a thx trait.

If I'm honest I don't think the Mojo (2) is the killer DAC everyone makes it out to be - Softears RSV sound better and more delicate out of the BTR7, also quite wide. Out of the Mojo 2 they become a bit too hard hitting losing some of their subtlety and becoming aggressive. So with some IEMs the BTR7 can sound more impressive! I find sensitive IEMs that require a delicate touch the BTR might fare better. I haven't tested my big headphones yet.

I don't think there is a massive difference between the two - the obvious change in sound is with R2R dacs for me: the RU6 sounds distinctly different than the Qudelix/BTR/Mojo 2 - where i find the BTR7 and Mojo overlapping too much with SQ

Aug 10, 2022 at 6:58 PM Post #383 of 2,070
Just received my BTR7 today from Audio46. Waiting for my 4.4->2.5mm adapter to arrive and then I will give it a thorough testing over the weekend...

Aug 10, 2022 at 7:07 PM Post #384 of 2,070
Mojo pushes the mids forward a little and with more details (a little overcompensating at times), it's more vivid in general. The BTR7 mids are a little smoother/etheral, but less detailed and less focused/defined - but still quite nice in their own way. The BTR7 seems to have a better controlled/faster bass - a thx trait.

If I'm honest I don't think the Mojo (2) is the killer DAC everyone makes it out to be - Softears RSV sound better and more delicate out of the BTR7, also quite wide. Out of the Mojo 2 they become a bit too hard hitting losing some of their subtlety and becoming aggressive. So with some IEMs the BTR7 can sound more impressive! I find sensitive IEMs that require a delicate touch the BTR might fare better. I haven't tested my big headphones yet.

I don't think there is a massive difference between the two - the obvious change in sound is with R2R dacs for me: the RU6 sounds distinctly different than the Qudelix/BTR/Mojo 2 - where i find the BTR7 and Mojo overlapping too much with SQ
Thanks for the comparison, I agree with you about the Mojo (v1), wasn't as impressed with it. RU6, now that's something I liked, not the most detailed or resolving DAC but makes music musical :smile_phones: and with IEMs, I sometimes preferred it more than my Gryphon. It's one of the reasons I'm about to purchase the EF400 for my Desktop use.

I think the BTR7 will fit nicely as a replacement for Gryphon for wireless use, it's inexpensive, tiny (compared to my previous DACs) and hopefully will have a more stable software soon. After trying so many DACs these few years, DS DACs are starting to sound the same to me with a few minor differences here and there.

Aug 10, 2022 at 8:32 PM Post #385 of 2,070
DSC00122.JPG

Some Fiio on Fiio action. Excellent combo.

Aug 10, 2022 at 8:44 PM Post #386 of 2,070
Have questions about the EQ .
Can you determine the frequency itself ( e.g. 4378 Hertz ) and how many changes are possible ?
At least 8 -10 would be optimal .
In which range can the Q factor be changed ( is 0.1 to 10 possible ?)
How many dB plus and minus can be changed .
( at least plus -minus 6 dB would be good )
Can the preamplifier level be lowered at your own choice ?
Know who answers to my questions 😀

Aug 10, 2022 at 10:03 PM Post #387 of 2,070
Aug 10, 2022 at 10:44 PM Post #389 of 2,070
Bummer.

I hope @FiiO can chime in and give some estimation as to when it might hit UK shores, hate pre-ordering with no ETA.
Dear friend,

The BTR7 has been sent to Advanced MP3 in UK now.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Aug 10, 2022 at 11:23 PM Post #390 of 2,070
@FiiO I love the BTR7 and the app, and thank you so much for working on a PEQ - the BTR7 has the chops to dethrone the Qudelix and is on a righteous path. Please continue your efforts and work on refining the software and adding new features in the future - if you retain the DSP platform and just improve the hardware every year-two, I will be happy to stay faithful - don't do what you did with the Fiio m11 Pro - forgotten after a year.. do what Qudelix is doing and you'll be golden with your superior hardware power.

Some key bugs/feedback I noted:

FEATURE: As mentioned few times, really need more than one custom eq preset for user: at least 5, if not 10 is needed - this thing should be one of key priorities as the power of PEQ demands more flexibility.

BUG: IOS keyboard when editing PEQ values - keyboard doesn't have MINUS sign, so impossible to enter negative db - workaround is to copy past minus sign from outside of app, or to first edit a minus value on the graphical eq and then convert that to PEQ.

BUG/FEATURE: No lowpass/highpass for PEQ - fairly important please especially when working with Oratory configs

BUG: BTR7 codec screen doesn't update if say first connects to LDAC 96khz, and user then changes that to LDAC 44khz on Android device - BTR7 screen says it's still 96khz which is incorrect (validated it's 44khz on device developer settings).. Seems it just detects the initial codec sample rate and doesn't update until new connection/codec is applied.

COOL feature: allow for a setting to have always on display on the BTR7, and to display a funky spectrum analyzer - like RME ADI DAC - that would be so sweet; we all know that looking at a spectrum analyzer whilst listening results in a higher fidelity experience, the music simply sounds better ;(
i get that it might impact battery life a little more but it's down to the user if they want to enable so that should be OK
Dear friend,

Thanks for the kind feedback. For the features, we will report to the engineer for assessing first. As for the bugs, we will try to fix in the later update.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back