[FiiO BTR7] Portable Bluetooth Amplifier, Color IPS display,High-performance DAC ES9219C*2,THX AAA-28*2 amps,3.5+4.4mm outputs,One-click “dongle” mode
Aug 11, 2022 at 12:36 PM Post #406 of 2,069
Any reason why you want 44.1kHz instead of 96kHz?

My source files are 44.1khz - i don't want Android OS upsampling them to 96khz and taking up valuable bluetooth bandwith - it's better sound quality when keeping the same sample rate throughout

Aug 11, 2022 at 1:55 PM Post #407 of 2,069
I'm sure there's a logical/technical reason why 4.4mm vs 2.5mm is better, but is is a bit frustrating to need another adapter to use the BTR7. My BTR5, Q3, M11 Plus all support 2.5mm but the BTR7 doesn't...

Aug 11, 2022 at 1:57 PM Post #408 of 2,069
I'm sure there's a logical/technical reason why 4.4mm vs 2.5mm is better, but is is a bit frustrating to need another adapter to use the BTR7. My BTR5, Q3, M11 Plus all support 2.5mm but the BTR7 doesn't...
To my knowledge, there's no sound quality difference between the two connectors (although some might argue that more metal = larger contact surface = better sound for 4.4mm).

I think the main reason that the industry has moved towards adopting the Sony's Pentaconn (4.4mm) design is simply durability. The 4.4mm connector is expected to last longer with fewer problems compared to the 2.5mm connector.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2022 at 2:02 PM Post #409 of 2,069
To my knowledge, there's no sound quality difference between the two connectors (although some might argue that more metal = larger connection surface = better sound for 4.4mm).

I think the main reason that the industry has moved towards adopting the Sony's Pentaconn (4.4mm) design is simply durability. The 4.4mm connector is expected to last longer with fewer problems compared to the 2.5mm connector.
I suppose. I have never had an issue with a 2.5mm jack failing. But, I will admit that I am probably over cautious given the average cost of what the jack is plugged into...

Aug 11, 2022 at 2:11 PM Post #410 of 2,069
I suppose. I have never had an issue with a 2.5mm jack failing. But, I will admit that I am probably over cautious given the average cost of what the jack is plugged into...
...at least the larger industry didn't try to run with the 3.5mm balanced idea, which does exist and is a recipe for disaster with misconnection of unbalanced and balanced devices, IMO.

Heck, even FiiO made an AMP module (for their X7 and Q5) called the AM3.5PRO that has a 3.5mm balanced connection. To my knowledge, that module was only ever made for the Chinese market, though (and that's probably a good thing).

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2022 at 2:16 PM Post #411 of 2,069
My source files are 44.1khz - i don't want Android OS upsampling them to 96khz and taking up valuable bluetooth bandwith - it's better sound quality when keeping the same sample rate throughout

Actually it doesn't go quite straight forward like that. In most Android standard Bluetooth implementation, the music you are playing will be sampled to 48kH PCM first (via Android internal SRC, which is default to 48kHz unless the manufacture uses a more advanced SRC), send to the Bluetooth chip to be resampled using the Bluetooth codec (*this is where your setting 44.1kHz vs 96kHz will take effect), send over wirelessly to the headphone's (or BT DAC/amp's) BT chip, resampled back to PCM (*bitrate + bitdepth depends on the DAC chip inside the headphone as well as how the manufacturer configuration though oversampling is the usual choice) and then decode to analog sound.

So even if you use 44.1kHz for your Bluetooth codec setting, the music would very likely have been resampled before and after the Bluetooth transmission and your setting won't affect those at all.

Aug 11, 2022 at 2:33 PM Post #412 of 2,069
Actually it doesn't go quite straight forward like that. In most Android standard Bluetooth implementation, the music you are playing will be sampled to 48kH PCM first (via Android internal SRC, which is default to 48kHz unless the manufacture uses a more advanced SRC), send to the Bluetooth chip to be resampled using the Bluetooth codec (*this is where your setting 44.1kHz vs 96kHz will take effect), send over wirelessly to the headphone's (or BT DAC/amp's) BT chip, resampled back to PCM (*bitrate + bitdepth depends on the DAC chip inside the headphone as well as how the manufacturer configuration though oversampling is the usual choice) and then decode to analog sound.

So even if you use 44.1kHz for your Bluetooth codec setting, the music would very likely have been resampled before and after the Bluetooth transmission and your setting won't affect those at all.

Yes I know about this - depends on the audio stack implementation. For example my Hiby RS6 always keeps the source sample rate throughout doesn't matter what app is playing, there's no intermediate conversions. Sony ZX500 unfortunately doesn't work so well it does some resampling.
For my Samsung device, I use UAPP with low level bluetooth settings - i did some android adb command line tests to see the audio logs for conversions a while back and it does work with UAPP (but I can't guarantee it's the same for all devices).. which is probably why it sounds better on bluetooth vs say something like tidal app.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2022 at 2:36 PM Post #413 of 2,069
I am not an expert on this, but was under impression that this applies to USB output only and at least with LDAC we can have 44.1 bit-perfect and up to 96Khz original source material lossy compressed, not just downsampled 48Khz and then upsampled to 96khz.
https://www.androidauthority.com/sony-ldac-codec-790690/

Aug 11, 2022 at 2:38 PM Post #414 of 2,069
What does boost bal out supposed to do? We have low and high gain settings already, so i assume boost bal is like a third gain boost on top? It seems to change the tonality a bit by making the mids more forward and punchy.

Aug 11, 2022 at 2:56 PM Post #415 of 2,069
What does boost bal out supposed to do? We have low and high gain settings already, so i assume boost bal is like a third gain boost on top? It seems to change the tonality a bit by making the mids more forward and punchy.
It boosts current output, useful for some Headphones. I sold my BAL a while back, but remember not liking the boost option with my gear so I kept it "Off".

Aug 11, 2022 at 5:09 PM Post #416 of 2,069
Since Samsung phones don't support aptx adaptive, if I connect btr7 to a Samsung phone and output to a wireless ANC HP that supports aptx adaptive, will it output in aptx adaptive? Thanks.

Aug 11, 2022 at 6:04 PM Post #419 of 2,069
Since Samsung phones don't support aptx adaptive, if I connect btr7 to a Samsung phone and output to a wireless ANC HP that supports aptx adaptive, will it output in aptx adaptive? Thanks.
BTR 7 cannot work as a BT transmitter, only receiver.

Aug 12, 2022 at 3:48 AM Post #420 of 2,069
Glad to be one of those fastest fingers. They arrive tomorrow. :)

BTW, I think Audiostore also ordered these and should have these available in a week or so. Wherever they become available first.
Still trying to figure out which one is better but first impressions.. BTR7 is awesome! Dead silent to my ears irrespective of SNR value. Amazing clarity and am yet to explore it. I would really recommend it. I did not have any version of BTR5 in any case.

Attachments

• 20220812_125959.jpg
    20220812_125959.jpg
    8.3 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back