[FiiO BTR7] Portable Bluetooth Amplifier, Color IPS display,High-performance DAC ES9219C*2,THX AAA-28*2 amps,3.5+4.4mm outputs,One-click “dongle” mode
Aug 12, 2022 at 3:33 PM Post #438 of 2,069
I've been doing some comparisons BTR7 vs Earmen Sparrow side by side via USB. Have to hand it to the Sparrow, it's worth it's weight in gold - with IEM specifically it has a more organic midrange, the highs are more refined, the bass is more bloomy and bouncy, and the soundstage is larger but also better defined by a good amount - there's clear space between the instruments and accurate localisation, to an extent one can almost hear the room they're in. The BTR7 ofcourse has more power (and lot more features), and can drive bigger cans - but I would say it's sound is about 70-80% of the Sparrow's with IEMs; there's some blurring in the high registers, a little less definition and soundstage, some slight feel of grayness in the background, and it just doesn't quite reach that wow factor and ease of the Sparrow, which is probably subconsciously compounded by how tiny the Sparrow is!

Anyway this is purely sound quality comparison - the BTR7 is indeed very good, but it's not quite a giant killer where the Sparrow kind of is when it comes purely on sound IMO (with all it's quirks).

Not that I haven’t heard it before, but I’d like to know what “organic” has to do with any particular sound, instrument, or quality of sound?

Aug 12, 2022 at 8:46 PM Post #442 of 2,069
L7Audiolab took some measurements of BTR-7 and more expensive EarMen Colibri, if interested. Doesn't look that Colibri impressed him esp. at the asking price.

I think a lot of people have the wrong impression that those who frequent measurement sites can only tolerate good number, but the truth is many of them, me included, care less about the absolute good vs. bad performance, but whether a particular gear is priced according to its performance. It is all too often for many to just buy into the 'higher price tag = better performance' self-hypnosis. If you won't buy a car that looks and priced like a Ferrari but only comes with a lawn mower engine, why would it be okay when it comes to audio gear?

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2022 at 1:59 PM Post #444 of 2,069
Not that I haven’t heard it before, but I’d like to know what “organic” has to do with any particular sound, instrument, or quality of sound?
Typically for me it means smooth, easygoing and natural - but not necessarily in an overly warm kind of way, or rolled off. This is typically due to an amalgamation of different technical qualities of the dac/amplifier - micro details, quality attack/decay (nuanced), low SNR/THD, good current drive and power, etc etc

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2022 at 2:51 PM Post #445 of 2,069
Another issue I think i discovered when I change to 88.2khz ldac on developer settings music doesn't work I get strange jitter click sounds out of the BTR7.. I can't get that sample rate to work all others I can change to.

I also still can't change the 96khz ldac display on the btr no matter what sample rate I change to on phone it always says it's 96khz ldac which shouldn't be the case (Qudelix for example comfortable changes sample rate to match device ldac)

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2022 at 3:03 PM Post #446 of 2,069
I noticed a BTR7 reviewer on YouTube showed a "clock divider" feature on the Fiio control app which can tweak the sound quality. I can't find this on latest Fiio control apps from app store and Google play. Does anyone have this?
Screenshot_20200724-105957-485x1024.png

Aug 14, 2022 at 2:00 AM Post #448 of 2,069
I noticed a BTR7 reviewer on YouTube showed a "clock divider" feature on the Fiio control app which can tweak the sound quality. I can't find this on latest Fiio control apps from app store and Google play. Does anyone have this?Screenshot_20200724-105957-485x1024.png
I had the DAC clock divider setting available prior to installing the new firmware default value was 1/4, since then its no longer accessible.

Aug 14, 2022 at 6:52 AM Post #449 of 2,069
Still trying to figure out which one is better but first impressions.. BTR7 is awesome! Dead silent to my ears irrespective of SNR value. Amazing clarity and am yet to explore it. I would really recommend it. I did not have any version of BTR5 in any case.
Preset EQ settings, except for 2 or 3, others seem quite intolerable. Seems they are not correctly preset. Anyone else also noticed or they are OK as per genre? Preset EQs from other apps/devices didn't seem that bad!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back