FiiO BTR3-The World' First Bluetooth Headphone Amplifier, SBC/AAC/aptX/aptX LL/aptX HD/LDAC/HWA (LHDC)
Sep 12, 2018 at 7:11 AM Post #376 of 1,870
I think this device hit the right market.

For what wireless is most useful for me is for fitness. I want to be able to use wired earphone of my choice and want the module in smallest formfactor possible(for fitness application), flexible options in codecs (for high beandwidth aptX HD or LDAC), quick charge (for times when battery is drained forgot to charge and need it's usage right away), and low latency for video, would hit all the tick marks to be more preferred than wireless earphones if you have a fav wired earphone you want wireless.

If we can get shorter cables for different earphones with detachable connectors would hit another sweetspot.

Fiio has 60cm mmcx cable, intended for BTR1 at first..

Sep 12, 2018 at 7:20 AM Post #377 of 1,870
I think this device hit the right market.

For what wireless is most useful for me is for fitness. I want to be able to use wired earphone of my choice and want the module in smallest formfactor possible(for fitness application), flexible options in codecs (for high beandwidth aptX HD or LDAC), quick charge (for times when battery is drained forgot to charge and need it's usage right away), and low latency for video, would hit all the tick marks to be more preferred than wireless earphones if you have a fav wired earphone you want wireless.

If we can get shorter cables for different earphones with detachable connectors would hit another sweetspot.

something like this? fiio LC-3.5AS

10164089.png

Sep 12, 2018 at 7:34 AM Post #378 of 1,870
something like this? fiio LC-3.5AS

10164089.png
I was thinking ideally just enough to clip on my shirt, but on the other hand, you may need to use the earphone with another device as well so you probably need to keep the long cable. If I have a earphone that I know will be used just for wireless, it's for certain a short cable would be the most convenient option, no excess when clipped on the shirt (I see on the images that they have a cable tie to keep the bundle, which is a good way to keep it short if you want to keep the long cable attached).

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2018 at 7:40 AM Post #379 of 1,870
I didn't think much about this, but this wireless way is another way to be able to use a different DAC (that the streaming device's), but without really wiring it up to the devices. It's an interesting solution that probably can find solutions to problems (like illustrated on the first page).

Sep 12, 2018 at 8:39 AM Post #380 of 1,870
A couple of questions

Do these output more power compared to the Apple lightning dongle ?

Is it neutral sounding or does it colour the sound in any manner ?

So I wasn’t able to get hold of numbers for the Apple 3.5mm dongle but it should be comparable to iPhone 6 for which I was able to info on output power (courtesy Anandtech).

68D76B22-1AE2-4AFF-9697-8B24AA91127C.jpeg

BT3 Output Power is About 25mW (32Ω loaded) or About 33mW (16Ω loaded). So it’s not an improvement.

Sep 12, 2018 at 3:59 PM Post #381 of 1,870
Hi folks,

What is the overall sound quality of the BTR3 built-in DAC? Does it compare with Dragonfly Red or Meridian Explorer 2? If no, what other DAC in the market is similar to it?

I want to connect a pair of Yamaha HS5 directly on the BTR3, using Y cable. But I would like to know if its DAC has a reasonable quality or I need another one.

Thanks!

Sep 13, 2018 at 5:39 PM Post #385 of 1,870
I just got the BTR3 the other day and I do like it. The build is excellent, I like the codec support list, I like the USB C, and I like the price point. I'm surprised that the ES100 is using single and balanced outputs while the Fiio is only using single. If this were Creative or something an unbalanced output would be about right but I'd expect more from Fiio by now. Also, this device needs a dedicated app with adjustable EQ and other settings as well as a widget to control the EQ and volume. I think this is going to impress wired snobs but there is a bit more that can be done to make this much better.

Also, like my ES100, I added a piece of adhesive velcro(loop side) underneath the pocket clip toward the fulcrum or pivot that helps to hold the device horizontally to my work shirts without sliding as much. This probably isn't for everyone but I like to clip it between my buttons on my dress shirts and this helps to hold it more firmly without pinching too tight or damaging the shirt material.
IMG_6088.jpg
IMG_6089.jpg

Sep 15, 2018 at 12:01 PM Post #388 of 1,870
I ordered the BTR3 and one of the uses I have for it is to pair it with my PC for music and movies. I currently use the Avantree Leaf DG50 for that. Will it be sufficient for delivering the quality the BTR3 is capable of, or should I upgrade for a better transmitter, and what transmitter should I upgrade to?

*It has to connect to the PC via USB.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2018 at 12:23 PM Post #389 of 1,870
I ordered the BTR3 and one of the uses I have for it is to pair it with my PC for music and movies. I currently use the Avantree Leaf DG50 for that. Will it be sufficient for delivering the quality the BTR3 is capable of........?.

Your DG50 has APTx Low Latency...which is probably the best codec for Movies in terms of sound/video sync. So I would try it out first before upgrading.

It is possible that if you purchased a USB adapter with Aptx HD (they are not easy to find) the sound would improve slightly...but the latency would be worst. At the moment, there is no way I know of to force the BTR3 to use a particular codec...and on my Optical Bluetooth Transmitter that has both APTx HD and LL...it defaults to the higher latency APTx HD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back